The Student Room Group

Oscars diversity row

So apparently there's a problem with diversity at the Oscars.

BBC News
Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs announced the changes following a backlash over the lack of diversity in this year's nominations.

Actor Will Smith and director Spike Lee are among those to announce they will not be going to February's Academy Awards, after it emerged no black or minority actors had been nominated in the four Oscars acting categories for the second year running.

It comes after a slew of actors backed Lee's announcement that he could not support the "lily white" awards show on Tuesday.

Confirming he would be joining his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, in not attending, Will Smith said: "We're uncomfortable to stand there and say that this is OK.Oscar-winners George Clooney and Lupita Nyong'o are also among those who have expressed disappointment over the nominations.

They don't seem to have anyone in mind who they collectively believe deserved a nomination but was passed over, in their view because of the colour of their skin. So essentially they are just criticising the Academy for the fact that there aren't enough ethnic minorities being nominated for Oscars.

Obviously it takes a Briton to speak some sense into these nutters

Charlotte Rampling
We can never know... But maybe it's because no black actors merited being nominated.

Views?
I haven't seen all of the different acts in order to decide if only white actors have done performances worthy of awards, but it seems statistically unlikely.

I have wondered if it is in part due to the AA but also goes deeper with white people dominating the best roles in order to win the awards in the first place
The twiterati have Rampling in their sights and Chelsea Clinton of all people is slating her for her comments.
She (Rampling) has started to backtrack saying she was misunderstood, obviously not realising that is the worst thing she could do as they only smell blood and go into an indignant feeding frenzy.
The question should be: Who would we present as oscar candidates from ethnic minorities and in place of which current nominees?

If we can't find an obvious answer, this boycott is silly.
Just a bunch of rich people crying victim or even proxy victim.
Original post by DiddyDec
Just a bunch of rich people crying victim or even proxy victim.

Why not? It works
Original post by Mathemagicien
Why not? It works

It hasn't achieved anything, just a few spare seats at the oscars and an early night for those that don't attend.
Reply 7
Hopefully its Leo's year in winning the oscar...
Reply 8
Well they clearly do have a diversity issue. With like 90% whites and 30% females or smth like that.

The bigger issue at hand is the way minorities are being castes tho.
Reply 9
But I'm not gonna villify will smith for not attending a show he wasn't even nominated for. He's spending this time with his did and family.
Reply 10
Original post by Truths
Well they clearly do have a diversity issue. With like 90% whites and 30% females or smth like that.

The bigger issue at hand is the way minorities are being castes tho.

the amount of Oscars won is pretty even with both the black population and the black participation in movies.
Reply 11
Original post by TheNote
the amount of Oscars won is pretty even with both the black population and the black participation in movies.

This is not just a black issue.
I recall The Economist crunched the numbers on the 'diversity' issue of Oscar wins, and over the past decade the number of Oscar nominations and wins isn't really as bad a it's being made out to be. African Americans for example are about on the mark at the Oscars in terms of the overall US population and actor percentage. Hispanics and Asians are the ones that seem the most unrepresented, but ironically aren't the ones complaining and threatening to boycott.
Reply 13
I'd like to see what Oscar worthy films and actors have been passed over?
Reply 14
Original post by Truths
This is not just a black issue.

and using such a small sample size will clearly point towards discrimination? could it just be that the white males were just better.
Original post by Truths
But I'm not gonna villify will smith for not attending a show he wasn't even nominated for. He's spending this time with his did and family.

I wonder if he would have attended had he been nominated, but the rest of the nominees remained the same (i.e., "not diverse"). This screams of a situation where someone concocts some moralistic principle for not attending when the real reason is bitterness over not being nominated.
The Oscars are probably going to start adding quotas of specific races and that is probably going to do more harm than good. Non white actors or actresses might got picked because of their skin tones. :frown:

It shouldn't matter if they don't have Oscars. If they know they're great actors then why the heck do they need an Oscar?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chikane
Hopefully its Leo's year in winning the oscar...

Can you imagine if he did a reverse Michael Jackson and blacked up this year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending