The Student Room Group

n-point Wightman functions (notation confusion)

The problem I am trying to solve is trivial, but I am struggling with notation. I have a recursive formula for the nth Wightman function,

Wn(x1,...,xn)=k=2nΔ+(x1xk)Wn2(x1,...,x^k,...,xn)\displaystyle W_n(x_1,...,x_n)= \sum_{k=2}^n \Delta_+(x_1-x_k)W_{n-2}(x_1,...,\hat{x}_k,...,x_n),

where x^k\hat{x}_k indicates that the kth argument has been 'cancelled'. I also know that W0=1W_0=1 and W1=0W_1=0.

The question is to find W2n+1W_{2n+1}. Intuitively it looks like the answer should be zero, as it will be some product of the n-point Wightman functions with odd n. This includes W1=0W_1=0, and so W2n+1=0W_{2n+1}=0.

However, syntactically the recursion formula doesn't actually seem to work. If we let n2n+1n \rightarrow 2n+1 in the formula, we get

W2n+1(x1,...,x2n+1)=k=22n+1Δ+(x1xk)W2n1(x1,...,x^k,...,x2n+1)\displaystyle W_{2n+1}(x_1,...,x_{2n+1})= \sum_{k=2}^{2n+1} \Delta_+(x_1-x_k)W_{2n-1}(x_1,...,\hat{x}_k,...,x_{2n+1}).

The next step would be to use the recursion formula again to compute

W2n1(x1,...,x^k,...,x2n+1)W_{2n-1}(x_1,...,\hat{x}_k,...,x_{2n+1}),

but this doesn't seem to be possible since in the formula the subscripts on W and the final argument are equal, and this isn't the case here.

Specifically, if we let n2n1n \rightarrow 2n-1 in the formula, we get an expression for

W2n1(x1,...,x2n1)W_{2n-1}(x_1,...,x_{2n-1}),

and if we let n2n+1n \rightarrow 2n+1 in the formula, we get an expression for

W2n+1(x1,...,x2n+1)W_{2n+1}(x_1,...,x_{2n+1}).

Neither of these is what we want: the former has the wrong arguments, and the latter is the wrong function!
As an example I have looked at the 4-point functions. Using the formula,

W4(x1,x2,x3,x4)=Δ+(x1x2)W2(x1,x3,x4)+Δ+(x1x3)W2(x1,x2,x4)+Δ+(x1x4)W2(x1,x2,x3)\displaystyle W_4(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) = \Delta_+(x_1-x_2)W_2(x_1,x_3,x_4)+\Delta_+(x_1-x_3)W_2(x_1,x_2,x_4) +\Delta_+(x_1-x_4)W_2(x_1,x_2,x_3).

But then we can't use the formula because the formula tells us how to compute the nth function with n arguments, where we now have nth functions with n+1 arguments...
Original post by Implication
The problem I am trying to solve is trivial, but I am struggling with notation. I have a recursive formula for the nth Wightman function,

Wn(x1,...,xn)=k=2nΔ+(x1xk)Wn2(x1,...,x^k,...,xn)\displaystyle W_n(x_1,...,x_n)= \sum_{k=2}^n \Delta_+(x_1-x_k)W_{n-2}(x_1,...,\hat{x}_k,...,x_n),

Eek! It's over thirty years since I studied quantum field theory and the neurons where it was kept have long since been retired. However...

There does seem to be a serious problem with this formula as the left hand side implies that WnW_n is a function of n variables, whereas the right hand side is a sum of Wn2W_{n-2}'s that appear to be functions of n-1 variables. Unless that Δ+\Delta_+ is doing something weird. Remind me, what is it? Something nasty with distributions?
As an example I have looked at the 4-point functions. Using the formula,

W4(x1,x2,x3,x4)=Δ+(x1x2)W2(x1,x3,x4)+Δ+(x1x3)W2(x1,x2,x4)+Δ+(x1x4)W2(x1,x2,x3)\displaystyle W_4(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) = \Delta_+(x_1-x_2)W_2(x_1,x_3,x_4)+\Delta_+(x_1-x_3)W_2(x_1,x_2,x_4) +\Delta_+(x_1-x_4)W_2(x_1,x_2,x_3).

But then we can't use the formula because the formula tells us how to compute the nth function with n arguments, where we now have nth functions with n+1 arguments...

Exactly. Where have you got the formula from?

I've found something like this formula in Roepstorff's "Path Integral Approach to Quantum Physics", and there the formula is:

Wn(x1,...,xn)=k=1n1Δ+(xkxn)Wn2(x1,...,x^k,...,xn1)\displaystyle W_n(x_1,...,x_n)= \sum_{k=1}^{n-1} \Delta_+(x_k-x_n)W_{n-2}(x_1,...,\hat{x}_k,...,x_{n-1}),

So is this just a typo situation?
Original post by Gregorius
I've found something like this formula in Roepstorff's "Path Integral Approach to Quantum Physics", and there the formula is:

Wn(x1,...,xn)=k=1n1Δ+(xkxn)Wn2(x1,...,x^k,...,xn1)\displaystyle W_n(x_1,...,x_n)= \sum_{k=1}^{n-1} \Delta_+(x_k-x_n)W_{n-2}(x_1,...,\hat{x}_k,...,x_{n-1}),

So is this just a typo situation?

Yes! The formula I posted was lifted straight from the teacher's lecture notes for the course. I compared it to the textbook and thought it was the same, but I've just quadruple checked and discovered that the arguments on the (n-2)th function should start from x_2, not x_1:

Wn(x1,...,xn)=k=2nΔ+(x1xk)Wn2(x2,...,x^k,...,xn)\displaystyle W_n(x_1,...,x_n)= \sum_{k=2}^n \Delta_+(x_1-x_k)W_{n-2}(x_2,...,\hat{x}_k,...,x_n)

That means that the first x is omitted as well as the kth and right number of arguments are there after all and everything works out fine :biggrin:

The formula you've posted looks like it should work out to be equivalent to this (corrected) version. I've checked for n=4 and it gives the same so thank you very much! This is like a weight off my shoulders haha, I went to chat to my lecturer about it and she just didn't understand what my problem was so it's good to know I wasn't going crazy :biggrin:

This is like a weight off my shoulders haha, I went to chat to my lecturer about it and she just didn't understand what my problem was so it's good to know I wasn't going crazy :biggrin:

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest