The Student Room Group

Summations: CP1 - Further Maths

Just a quick question, what do you do when r = 0? (the number below the sigma symbol)

Just started year 12.. btw!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JeniusJeni
Just a quick question, what do you do when r = 0? (the number below the sigma symbol)

The sum starts with r=0. What is the original question?
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
The sum starts with r=0. What is the original question?

3 is above the sigma and the sum is (2r+1)
Reply 3
3 is above the sigma and the sum is (2r+1)

The question says evaluate
Reply 4
The question says evaluate

So evaluate the sum starting with r=0 and finishing with r=3. There are only 4 expressions to add which you could simply write out.
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766
So evaluate the sum starting with r=0 and finishing with r=3. There are only 4 expressions to add which you could simply write out.

Yes, I know how to do that. I wanted to ask if there's a way you can turn that into r=1 and solve it using the summation formulas
Reply 6
Yes, I know how to do that. I wanted to ask if there's a way you can turn that into r=1 and solve it using the summation formulas

Sure, what is the r=0 term, then add it onto the (modified) sum starting with r=1. Writing out the terms should make it clear?
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
Sure, what is the r=0 term, then add it onto the (modified) sum starting with r=1. Writing out the terms should make it clear

That's all it said in the q
Reply 8
That's all it said in the q

As per the previous post add the zeroth term
2*0 + 1 = ...
onto the result of the normal sum which starts at r=1. Simple as that as the sum is
zeroth term + first term + ... + third term

Hello Jenius,
Welcome to year 12!
Regarding your question, when r = 0, the term inside the sigma notation is undefined. This is because the sigma notation tells us to add up all the terms from r = 1 to n, and 0 is not included in this range.

So, when r = 0, we simply ignore the term
Thank you
Reply 10
Original post by BrightTutor
Hello Jenius,
Welcome to year 12!
Regarding your question, when r = 0, the term inside the sigma notation is undefined. This is because the sigma notation tells us to add up all the terms from r = 1 to n, and 0 is not included in this range.

Thank you

Thats simply wrong.
Reply 11
Original post by mqb2766
As per the previous post add the zeroth term
2*0 + 1 = ...
onto the result of the normal sum which starts at r=1. Simple as that as the sum is
zeroth term + first term + ... + third term

Ohhh. I get it now, thanks! :smile: 💯
Reply 12
Ohhh. I get it now, thanks! :smile: 💯

Its easy to get confused by notation, but if youre unsure about a summation question with slightly unusual starting/end points, its always worth simply writing it out the individual terms as a sum//series for a few values.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 13
Original post by BrightTutor
Hello Jenius,
Welcome to year 12!

Thank you

Thanks for the clarification :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by mqb2766
Thats simply wrong.

O.K. :smile: I see. About your previous comment, just asking, can you use the summation formula 1/2 n(n+1) when r = 0?
Reply 15
O.K. :smile: I see. About your previous comment, just asking, can you use the summation formula 1/2 n(n+1) when r = 0?

For the basic summation of natural numbers fairly obv
0 + 1 + 2 + ... + n = 1 + 2 + .... + n
so yes.
Reply 16
Original post by mqb2766
For the basic summation of natural numbers fairly obv
0 + 1 + 2 + ... + n = 1 + 2 + .... + n
so yes.

Ok. Thanks :smile: You don't need to, but if you want to, can u give me an example? So I can see how it goes
Reply 17
Ok. Thanks :smile: You don't need to, but if you want to, can u give me an example? So I can see how it goes

An example of what?
Reply 18
Original post by mqb2766
An example of what?

Finding the sum of something when r=0 using the summation formula 1/2 n ( n + 1 )
Reply 19
Finding the sum of something when r=0 using the summation formula 1/2 n ( n + 1 )

Sum_{r=0}^n r = n(n+1)/2
so the sum of natural numbers with 0 so
0+1+2+...+n.
Your original question was double that with (n+1) 1s added on, I think.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest