The Student Room Group

Simultaneous equations

Solve the following simultaneous equations:

1455233751362-1278823070.jpg
Hi, you're factorising is wrong just after the line "ac =" (what exactly does this mean btw?)

image.jpg
Reply 2
Original post by IFoundWonderland
Solve the following simultaneous equations:

1455233751362-1278823070.jpg

ii.

You have factorised 3y23y-3y^2-3y to get 3y(y+3)-3y(y+3). This is incorrect - have another go.

Your method will work but I would have taken out a factor of 3 from the quadratic (and moved everything to the other side) to make it simpler.
Reply 3
Original post by JohnnyDavidson
Hi, you're factorising is wrong just after the line "ac =" (what exactly does this mean btw?)

image.jpg

This is the 'ac' method of factorising quadratics.

'a' and 'c' are coefficients of a quadratic equation : ax2+bx+c=0ax^2+bx+c=0.

image.jpg

Original post by notnek
ii.

You have factorised 3y23y-3y^2-3y to get 3y(y+3)-3y(y+3). This is incorrect - have another go.

Your method will work but I would have taken out a factor of 3 from the quadratic (and moved everything to the other side) to make it simpler.

Thanks - got it now :h:
14552349886831096247246.jpg

And ac is when ax^2 +bx +c
Reply 5
Thanks - got it now :h:
14552349886831096247246.jpg

And ac is when ax^2 +bx +c

you have very neat workings !!

image.jpg

AC just means the first constant value e.g 2x^2-5x+3=0 -> Ax^2+Bx+C=0

A = 2 from 2x^2 and C is the last value C = 3 .*. AC = A . C = 2x3 = 6 -> AC = 6

It just helps writing down to figure out numbers that would factorise. i use the same method myself.
Original post by TeeEm
you have very neat workings !!

Haha, thanks :ahee:

I try to keep it as neat as possible because It makes it easier to check when I make mistakes :tongue: although it tends to go to pot when the maths actually gets complicated and I'm doing things like further calculus or geometry.

Idk why but this compliment made my day :lol:
Reply 8

I try to keep it as neat as possible because It makes it easier to check when I make mistakes :tongue: although it tends to go to pot when the maths actually gets complicated and I'm doing things like further calculus or geometry.

You like to keep inside the boxes!

I had a student who would put everything in a box. Their calculus working was neat but quite strange to look at :smile:
Reply 9

Small tip: for maths, it's incredibly helpful to leave a blank line between each line of working for complex calculations! It's makes correcting things, and finding errors much easier as well as just improving the general aesthetic, in my opinion! But yours is very nice as is! :h:
Original post by notnek
You like to keep inside the boxes!

I had a student who would put everything in a box. Their calculus working was neat but quite strange to look at :smile:

Yess it makes it look so much nicer and everything is in line :tongue:

I keep everything in boxes for calculus too :tongue: but that squiggly line thing at the beginning that shows it's integration (idk what it's called) takes up three boxes height wise and two width wise, so I use so much paper :argh:
Original post by Zacken
Small tip: for maths, it's incredibly helpful to leave a blank line between each line of working for complex calculations! It's makes correcting things, and finding errors much easier as well as just improving the general aesthetic, in my opinion! But yours is very nice as is! :h:

I know, but I waste enough paper as it is :hide:

Quick Reply

Latest