The Student Room Group

Need help with kinematic question (AS)

HI

I am having trouble with question B below, I can't work out how to write the simultaneous equations needed. Any help is appreciated:
At time T=0, particle A is dropped from a bridge 40m above the ground. One second later particle B is projected vertically upwards with speed 5ms-1 from a point 10m above the ground.
A) find the distance travelled by A when B is at the highest point in motion.
B) how long after A is dropped do the two particles become level?
C) How far from the ground are they at this time
Reply 1
Maybe start by writing down equations first. Literally any equations of motion (with properly named variables, of course) will do. Don't worry about simultaneous stuff for now.

What have you written down so far?

EDIT: I believe you should have set up some equations for part (a) already. Did you look at them?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by tonyiptony
Maybe start by writing down equations first. Literally any equations of motion (with properly named variables, of course) will do. Don't worry about simultaneous stuff for now.

What have you written down so far?

EDIT: I believe you should have set up some equations for part (a) already. Did you look at them?

Well, the first thing you should do in a mechanics questions is to picture the situation in your head and preferably draw a diagram. Then label the diagram. Pay particular attention to the signs of velocity, force and acceleration.
Having done that, the model (formula) that you need to apply to the situation should be much more apparent.
Writing a table of formula and ticking of the variables that you think you know and the one that you think you want may work and you could also consider rolling dice.
If you are still stuck, post back with some idea of what you have tried.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by nerak99
Well, the first thing you should do in a mechanics questions is to picture the situation in your head and preferably draw a diagram. Then label the diagram. Pay particular attention to the signs of velocity, force and acceleration.
Having done that, the model (formula) that you need to apply to the situation should be much more apparent.
Writing a table of formula and ticking of the variables that you think you know and the one that you think you want may work and you could also consider rolling dice.
If you are still stuck, post back with some idea of what you have tried.

I think you're quoting the wrong person there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest