The Student Room Group

Simultaneous equations

image.jpg Done this with these workings- answer book says it's wrong. Can you explain what I need to do?

Scroll to see replies

where did you get +4x and +4x from? the x^2 you have outside the bracket shouldn't be used to expand
also, you haven't actually supplied the question with an answer...
Original post by Lucofthewoods
image.jpg Done this with these workings- answer book says it's wrong. Can you explain what I need to do?

Compare the fist line of your expansion with the second. I think you've written it down incorrectly.
Reply 3

is this aqa lvl 2 further maths?
Reply 4

Ignore the other posts, your exapansions are correct. You've simply used the quadratic formula wrong, you should get:

x=8±82(4×5×132×5\displaystyle x = \frac{-8 \pm \sqrt{8^2 - (4 \times 5 \times -13}}{2\times 5} Check up on the quadratic formula and see the form!

Original post by Mayhem™
where did you get +4x and +4x from? the x^2 you have outside the bracket shouldn't be used to expand
also, you haven't actually supplied the question with an answer...

+4x + 4x comes from expanding the square, no?

Original post by maggiehodgson
Compare the fist line of your expansion with the second. I think you've written it down incorrectly.

Looks correct to me.
Reply 5
Original post by danr2
are you doing further maths lvl 2?

Original post by danr2
is this aqa lvl 2 further maths?

Don't hijack other threads, wait for someone to reply to the one you've created.
Original post by Zacken

I have no idea what I was thinking :doh:

5x2+8x13=0 5x^2 + 8x - 13= 0

Split the x term into;

5x25x+13x13=0 5x^2 -5x +13x -13 = 0

and you don't need the quadratic formula at all
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Don't hijack other threads, wait for someone to reply to the one you've created.

wtf dude? if no one is answering , what do you expect me to do? sit on my ass and wait till the exam day?
Original post by Zacken
Ignore the other posts, your exapansions are correct. You've simply used the quadratic formula wrong, you should get:

x=8±82(4×5×132×5\displaystyle x = \frac{-8 \pm \sqrt{8^2 - (4 \times 5 \times -13}}{2\times 5} Check up on the quadratic formula and see the form!

Looks correct to me.

Oh dear. (2x +2)(2x+2) = as per 1st line but then, sideways on, it looks like 4x^2 has turned into 8x^2.

Sorry folks
Reply 10
Original post by danr2
wtf dude? if no one is answering , what do you expect me to do? sit on my ass and wait till the exam day?

Yes.

Edit to add: 'no one is answering' it's barely been 15 minutes, have some patience. Stop feeling so self-entitled.
Reply 11

i think you should use the substitution method
Reply 12
Original post by danr2
i think you should use the substitution method

That is precisely what he's done, have you even bothered looking at his solution?
Reply 13
Original post by Zacken
That is precisely what he's done, have you even bothered looking at his solution?

Original post by Zacken
Yes.

Edit to add: 'no one is answering' it's barely been 15 minutes, have some patience. Stop feeling so self-entitled.

patience? patience doesn't apply do this situation. maybe they have the best answers to my question but they probably won't see it if i don't ask them, have you thought about that?
anyway don't reply to my post anymore if you haven't got any relevant question to answer.
Reply 14
Original post by danr2
patience? patience doesn't apply do this situation. maybe they have the best answers to my question but they probably won't see it if i don't ask them, have you thought about that?
anyway don't reply to my post anymore if you haven't got any relevant question to answer.

Your posts will all be deleted because they're irrelevant trash. I haven't thought about that, you know why? Because it's nonsense. I love how you're going on about relevance and yet you're trying to "help" a person by telling him to do what he's already done.
Original post by danr2

Mate just make a new thread with your questions. Don't clog up other people's threads.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Princepieman
Mate just make a new thread with your questions. Don't clog up other people's threads.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thing is, he did make a thread before posting the question in everybody elses thread (in the wrong forum as well :lol: ).
Reply 17
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fine, I will but next time learn how to tell someone to do something because that is a bad approach to correct someone if you really want them to do as you said.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Zacken
Thing is, he did make a thread before posting the question in everybody elses thread (in the wrong forum as well :lol: ).

where did i post the question in everybody elses thread? look, don't say something you haven't seen. i was gonna ask him how hard it was which was not included in my thread. 'is this aqa lvl 2 f.maths'? had nothing got to do with my thread
besides that there's nothing wrong and it wasn't even my intention to 'hijack' his thread so don't say something you don't know about.
if i posted it in the wrong forum, what is wrong? don't we all make mistakes in life? you think you are all that but actually you are not. you probably have the book knowledge but do you have some common sense, do you even think twice before you let something come out of your mouth? i guess not cuz if you did you wouldn't be that stupid to come up with something you haven't seen.
if i had seen he used the substitution method, i wouldn't have told him that. hasn't something like that ever happened to you where the person told you that is exactly what they did or had done? i don't blame you for this anyway.

hope you don't get into Cambridge with your immature brain if you don't change from now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Zacken

and i don't care if you are a community assistant. community assistant my ass. wonder how those titles are given to people with no brains like you who don't even know how to correct someone

Quick Reply

Latest