The Student Room Group

God save the Poles

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saturnine.
Excellent observation. But they are of the same nation, and there are some national contributions which are so immense as to deserve a continued act of relatively tiny gratitude by way of their descendants.

Are we to inherit the sins of our forefathers, as well as their graces? If this is to be the case, I think our nation shall have to transfer all assets to former colonies as reparations and we should cease ties with all Germans for their murdering the Jews.
I don't agree with that. By offering this show of support we are rewarding their descendants. This is because they performed acts of courage and honour for us in our hour of greatest need. This is right and benefits the current Poles and indirectly rewards the people who did these actions.

To punish the current Germans for the actions of their ancestors we would be penalising them for actions they had no part of out of spite and a futile sense of punitiveness.

That the current Poles did not fight in WW2 themselves is not the point.

tell me with a straight face: do you think the poles weren't drafted?
Reply 22
Original post by Xysoo
Lol Op wants to talk about how Poles are so great, so posts stories about Polish from like 100 years ago. Well I've got a story too - about Polish immigration here today:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/5198199/Thousands-of-foreign-fugitives-on-the-run-in-the-UK.html

You seem to be under the impression that criminality is a uniquely Polish trait. Some news for you: it's universal to the human race - in fact, there is strong evidence that there is less crime and violence in Poland than here.
Original post by Xysoo
Lol Op wants to talk about how Poles are so great, so posts stories about Polish from like 100 years ago. Well I've got a story too - about Polish immigration here today:

2016 - 1940 = 76

76 =/= 100
Original post by Xysoo

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/5198199/Thousands-of-foreign-fugitives-on-the-run-in-the-UK.html

Its ok, we should forgive them
Afterall world war 2 was won because of their forefathers!
Reply 25
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
2016 - 1940 = 76

76 =/= 100

The irony is the fact that you just comment on my maths and dont have a counter-argument, just highlights how weak the pro-Pole argument is here.
Original post by Xysoo
The irony is the fact that you just comment on my maths and dont have a counter-argument, just highlights how weak the pro-Pole argument is here.

You don't know what irony is either.

:smile:
Reply 27
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You don't know what irony is either.

:smile:

ah chit, was distracted by my gf so didnt edit my post before I hit reply. yeah my bad on that.
Original post by Xysoo
ah chit, was distracted by my gf so didnt edit my post before I hit reply. yeah my bad on that.

*didn't

Capital letters at start of sentences also help.
Reply 29
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Are we to inherit the sins of our forefathers, as well as their graces? If this is to be the case, I think our nation shall have to transfer all assets to former colonies as reparations and we should cease ties with all Germans for their murdering the Jews.

I didn't say anything about inheriting either graces or sins.

Original post by sleepysnooze
tell me with a straight face: do you think the poles weren't drafted?

Are you asking me whether they were forced by the RAF into service?
Reply 30
Original post by Mentally
Its ok, we should forgive them
Afterall world war 2 was won because of their forefathers!

U having a giggle m8?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wouldn't God have to exist to save the Poles, or you know, do anything at all?

There's no value or nobility to race/nationality. No one is better off or worse off because they're black, white, British, Polish or whatever else. People should be judged on the basis of their individual values. A Pole can be as good as anyone else or as bad as anyone else. But the fact that the prevalence of ultra-conservative Catholicism in Poland makes the substantial bulk of the Polish population homophobic and sexist.

Your ideas that - certain Poles did certain decent things 70+ years go - Poles are good for all time to come is laughably ultra-nationalistic and frankly just sad. Nations all over the world did great and horrible things throughout history, but that doesn't mean we should treat modern citizens of that country like their ancestors. No one sane thinks every modern German is a Nazi just like no one sane should think that every Pole is of good character because of actions of Poles in the past.
Reply 32
Original post by Withengar
Wouldn't God have to exist to save the Poles, or you know, do anything at all?

There's no value or nobility to race/nationality. No one is better off or worse off because they're black, white, British, Polish or whatever else. People should be judged on the basis of their individual values. A Pole can be as good as anyone else or as bad as anyone else. But the fact that the prevalence of ultra-conservative Catholicism in Poland makes the substantial bulk of the Polish population homophobic and sexist.

Your ideas that - certain Poles did certain decent things 70+ years go - Poles are good for all time to come is laughably ultra-nationalistic and frankly just sad. Nations all over the world did great and horrible things throughout history, but that doesn't mean we should treat modern citizens of that country like their ancestors. No one sane thinks every modern German is a Nazi just like no one sane should think that every Pole is of good character because of actions of Poles in the past.

I didn't say any of that. You have either inadvertently misinterpreted or willfully misrepresented my argument.
I didn't say any of that. You have either inadvertently misinterpreted or willfully misrepresented my argument.

Have I? Okay, let's look at your original post and I'll break it down bit by bit.

". God save the Poles; perhaps the noblest and certainly the most underrated race in all of Europe."

My first criticism is the one that deals with inherent value, or the lack of it, of race and nationality. By claiming that the Poles are "the noblest and most underrated race" you indirectly claim that there is a value in race/nationality, which there isn't.

"They were as fierce and as skilled as they and every single member of that country that wishes to come here to live is entitled to do so by moral right. They have earned it immemorial."

This is a part where you say that actions of Poles almost a century ago mean something today that would influences how should they/shouldn't they be treated. This is a part of my criticism where I mentioned that you can't judge people based on their ancestry or their country's ancestry, but on their individual actions and ideas. You don't even realize what are you saying when you say that any Pole can come to the UK by your notion of some "moral right." Actions of your ancestors aren't your actions, good or bad, noble or wicked. I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to move and relocate, but that's a right of the citizen and a human being, not any misguided "moral right."
Are you asking me whether they were forced by the RAF into service?

yes! if they were forced then where is the morality in their actions? you might claim that the polish *government* (the ones whom forced them) are the moral ones if they were the people who caused them to fight, but honestly, if they were being attacked on all sides, why *wouldn't* they have sent them out to fight?
Reply 35
Original post by sleepysnooze
yes! if they were forced then where is the morality in their actions? you might claim that the polish *government* (the ones whom forced them) are the moral ones if they were the people who caused them to fight, but honestly, if they were being attacked on all sides, why *wouldn't* they have sent them out to fight?

Do you have any evidence that they were forced by anyone?
Reply 36
Original post by Withengar
Have I? Okay, let's look at your original post and I'll break it down bit by bit.

". God save the Poles; perhaps the noblest and certainly the most underrated race in all of Europe."

My first criticism is the one that deals with inherent value, or the lack of it, of race and nationality. By claiming that the Poles are "the noblest and most underrated race" you indirectly claim that there is a value in race/nationality, which there isn't.

I am commenting on their history as a people. There is an inherent value in that. You are debating on the semantics of the term 'race'.

They were as fierce and as skilled as they and every single member of that country that wishes to come here to live is entitled to do so by moral right. They have earned it immemorial."

This is a part where you say that actions of Poles almost a century ago mean something today that would influences how should they/shouldn't they be treated. This is a part of my criticism where I mentioned that you can't judge people based on their ancestry or their country's ancestry, but on their individual actions and ideas. You don't even realize what are you saying when you say that any Pole can come to the UK by your notion of some "moral right." Actions of your ancestors aren't your actions, good or bad, noble or wicked. I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to move and relocate, but that's a right of the citizen and a human being, not any misguided "moral right."

I disagree. The Poles gave us a great deal of much needed aid in our hour of need and we are obliged to recognise and reward that to their descendants now that we are safe and content.
@Saturnine. Thank you so much! I thought only a select few on this website weren't extremely racist to all Eastern European people
Original post by Xysoo

In all that is good and holy, these are members of the Polish Mafia!!! MAFIA does your thick brain know what a mafia is?
Of course members of a Mafia are criminals!!!!
Do you have any evidence that they were forced by anyone?

are you asking me for evidence? if you're asking me for evidence, just say it: just say "show me evidence". don't tip toe around it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/poland/2505447/Poland-ends-army-conscription.html
^they've had the draft only until 2008.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending