The Student Room Group

Is feminism good or bad for the first world? (POLL)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
Women don't have it better. You can make an argument to say it's equal but the idea that men are the victims is absurd to say the least.

they have more legal rights than men. they even have it better in our culture when men are very much assumed to be evil, creepy, paedophiles, perverts, thugs, etc whereas women never are.

And even if women are equal, feminism serves to draw attention to isses not about equality like female genital mutilation, breast cancer, annorexia, the sex industry etc etc, what's wrong with that?

I thought feminism was about the equality between men and women?

How are black people discriminated against?

they are culturally discriminated against, not legally discriminated against. for example, police in america being harsher to black people because of cultural stereotypes

You're obsessed with feminism, utterly obsessed with it. It's creepy. You lot are genuinely more obsessed with feminism than its proponents. If you don't like feminism, fine. If you're skeptical of it, that's fine too. But to be utterly obsessed with it in the way you are is quite unhealthy and strange really.

why do you think I'm obsessed? if I talk about subject does that make me obsessed?
Original post by Bornblue
Of course it did.

well what ****ing proof do you want me to give you? I guess rape victims who claim rape, if they can't prove it 100% ought not to be believed. and I'm not claiming something extraordinary here - it was a matter of sexism in a ****ing queue but even still it's the little things like this which speak.
Original post by kieran12321LFC
I accidentally picked no instead of yes :frown:

Me too, this poll is not accurate
Original post by sleepysnooze
they have more legal rights than men. they even have it better in our culture when men are very much assumed to be evil, creepy, paedophiles, perverts, thugs, etc whereas women never are.

They don't. Your point about women not being able to rape men legally does not equate to men having less legal rights.
You MRA lot love trotting that one out every time. The crime is of penetration and if women penetrate men against their will they will be charged and prosecuted with sexual assault by penetration which has the same sentencing guidelines as rape.
Men are not assumed to be evil or paedophiles, you're talking BS.
You could flip that, a man who gets around is seen as a stud, a woman who does the same is seen as a whore. An authoritative man is seen as a leader, an authoritative women is seen as bossy etc. Works both ways.

I thought feminism was about the equality between men and women?

Not for me no, equality is one part, women's issues are a far bigger part. What's wrong with a feminist movement tackling the sex industry, female genital mutilation, forced marriages, breast cancer etc? None of those are to do with equality and the feminist movement has played a key role in drawing attention to and highlighting these issues.

they are culturally discriminated against, not legally discriminated against. for example, police in america being harsher to black people because of cultural stereotypes

Same argument can be made of women.

why do you think I'm obsessed? if I talk about subject does that make me obsessed?

Because you pretend to care about men's issues when in reality you just want to stop women campaigning on theirs. Women are allowed to campaign on women's issues. If you don't like it, don't campaign. But to have the degree of obsession where you blame your own problems on feminism is strange.

How come you so frequently criticise feminism but never criticize people like Roosh and other MRA?
Reply 44
Original post by DotDotDot...
It's not the fact that people don't believe her it's the fact that some - the same people who hate feminism so much - are calling her a liar and other possible rape victims attention seekers when equally there's no evidence that she has lied. What inequalities do women face? I'd think the complete lack of women in highly paid or important jobs is enough evidence, that men entirely dominate the more well paid important jobs such as business and politics and also the fact that many women have to sexualise themselves in order to get anywhere. And actually no there is factual evidence for the wage gap and against the wage gap it just depends whose statistics you believe I've if you are a feminist or not. In my experience I have only seen a tiny fraction of feminists being at all hateful compared to thousands of people making hateful remarks towards feminists like go kill yourself or feminism is cancer. Equality is cancer right then...

There is no evidence that she is telling the truth and the majority of people want dr Luke jailed culture implies majority and that simply isn't true.

If you are going to use the top as an argument why is it that the worst jobs are predominantly being done by men?

What evidence do you have? Women in general make different life choices which leads to the minute differences

Modern feminism isn't about equality if it was the would focus on 3rd world countries rather than ganging up on a game developer and someone who says your actions are wrong
Original post by joecphillips
There is no evidence that she is telling the truth and the majority of people want dr Luke jailed culture implies majority and that simply isn't true.

If you are going to use the top as an argument why is it that the worst jobs are predominantly being done by men?

What evidence do you have? Women in general make different life choices which leads to the minute differences

Modern feminism isn't about equality if it was the would focus on 3rd world countries rather than ganging up on a game developer and someone who says your actions are wrong

If you are referring to gamergate it was a large group of anti feminist anti progressive gamers who forced a female game developer out of her house due to threats of rape and murder because she was a female so that kinda proves the reason why we need feminism. Also men don't dominate lower paying jobs? These differences aren't 'minute', there is massive disparity between men and women in top end jobs for example there are 191 female MPs compared with 559 male MPs - you can't say that's not unequal. This is partly because of women not being seen to be as suitable as men for the job due to their femininity but yes a large part is because of women's life choices. However, if you truly believed men and women were equal, you would question why the dramatic differences in life choices? Because women do face pressure to do certain jobs (which mainly happen to be less well paid than those which their male counterparts are pressed into) and lack the encouragement, mainly from their peer group, that males do to work in high end jobs which forces most women down a different route from men. If you are never expected to achieve, the likelihood is that you won't.
Reply 46
If you are referring to gamergate it was a large group of anti feminist anti progressive gamers who forced a female game developer out of her house due to threats of rape and murder because she was a female so that kinda proves the reason why we need feminism. Also men don't dominate lower paying jobs? These differences aren't 'minute', there is massive disparity between men and women in top end jobs for example there are 191 female MPs compared with 559 male MPs - you can't say that's not unequal. This is partly because of women not being seen to be as suitable as men for the job due to their femininity but yes a large part is because of women's life choices. However, if you truly believed men and women were equal, you would question why the dramatic differences in life choices? Because women do face pressure to do certain jobs (which mainly happen to be less well paid than those which their male counterparts are pressed into) and lack the encouragement, mainly from their peer group, that males do to work in high end jobs which forces most women down a different route from men. If you are never expected to achieve, the likelihood is that you won't.

I was talking about bendalin spurr which ties into what I said about attacking free speech.
So you don't care about ability you want equal outcome not equal results.
The country's what are seen as the best for equality have less women in stem than here.
I was talking about bendalin spurr which ties into what I said about attacking free speech.
So you don't care about ability you want equal outcome not equal results.
The country's what are seen as the best for equality have less women in stem than here.

'Are seen as the best for equality' doesn't sound like concrete evidence to be honest and even so they might have more women in business or politics which balance it out a bit. No I do care about equal ability but I'm saying that women don't get the chances or encouragement to gain that level of ability which is the problem here. Also do look at an article on gamergate if you want the perfect example of why we need feminism.
Reply 48
'Are seen as the best for equality' doesn't sound like concrete evidence to be honest and even so they might have more women in business or politics which balance it out a bit. No I do care about equal ability but I'm saying that women don't get the chances or encouragement to gain that level of ability which is the problem here. Also do look at an article on gamergate if you want the perfect example of why we need feminism.

I am talking about countries like Sweden and the majority of reports puts that up near the top.
So you need someone holding your hand to get you to go study something?
I have if you say the threats made are wrong then you have to also talk about people who have threatened dr like and others and if you are talking about violence in video games play one the majority of violence is against men.
I am talking about countries like Sweden and the majority of reports puts that up near the top.
So you need someone holding your hand to get you to go study something?
I have if you say the threats made are wrong then you have to also talk about people who have threatened dr like and others and if you are talking about violence in video games play one the majority of violence is against men.

People who threaten others are wrong full stop but there is a difference between threatening someone because they're a woman and threatening someone because they're a suspected rapist. No you don't need someone to hold your hand to go and study but it's the small differences that make a big difference in the directions people go in and as a male you wouldn't understand, or be expected to understand, the small differences which make the difference between girls choosing stem or not such as being ignored by fellow classmates in scientific discussions, such as people being continuously surprised or disbelieving that you're good at something even if it is obvious, such as being the best in your year (results wise) but the title of being clever only goes to your male counterparts, such as being told at primary school that 'boys are cleverer than girls' by classmates but with your limited knowledge of science not being able to find a single example to prove otherwise. When you are being constantly convinced you're not good enough then you begin to believe it. I wasn't talking about violence in video games but it's irrelevant anyway because the violence is against men by men therefore not a gender issue.
Reply 50
People who threaten others are wrong full stop but there is a difference between threatening someone because they're a woman and threatening someone because they're a suspected rapist. No you don't need someone to hold your hand to go and study but it's the small differences that make a big difference in the directions people go in and as a male you wouldn't understand, or be expected to understand, the small differences which make the difference between girls choosing stem or not such as being ignored by fellow classmates in scientific discussions, such as people being continuously surprised or disbelieving that you're good at something even if it is obvious, such as being the best in your year (results wise) but the title of being clever only goes to your male counterparts, such as being told at primary school that 'boys are cleverer than girls' by classmates but with your limited knowledge of science not being able to find a single example to prove otherwise. When you are being constantly convinced you're not good enough then you begin to believe it. I wasn't talking about violence in video games but it's irrelevant anyway because the violence is against men by men therefore not a gender issue.

So now because I am male my opinions have less value?

The title of being clever doesn't only go to males when I was in school I was the best at maths (result wise) however most people in that class realised I was not the smartest person in the room, that was the girl who sat next to me.

I never once had a school worker say boys are clever than girls I had male classmates say that and female classmates say the reverse.

So you think violence against men on video games I acceptable but if it is against women it is instantly a gender issue.
(edited 8 years ago)
So now because I am male my opinions have less value?

The title of being clever doesn't only go to males when I was in school I was the best at maths (result wise) however most people in that class realised I was not the smartest person in the room, that was the girl who sat next to me.

I never once had a school worker say boys are clever than girls I had male classmates say that and female classmates say the reverse.

So you think violence against men on video games I acceptable but if it is against women it is instantly a gender issue.

What? I'm not talking about video games violence? Nobody's saying your opinions don't matter just that you might not pick up subtle sexism against girls because it doesn't apply to you like I'm not saying there's no racism because I'm white so I might not pick up on racism that my black classmates experience. This is exactly the attitude I'm talking about people thinking that feminism is an attack on males. I know girls also say the reverse but when the boys have evidence to back up their points that they're cleverer it makes a small child maybe think they're right. In my experience a girl has to work a lot harder to gain a reputation for being clever than a boy. Funnily enough I am in the situation you just described but even though I am the one who gets the results, I am the one who asks the interesting questions and I am the one who can come up with solutions it is still the boy next to me who is regarded as the smartest, and then the Asians, and then the rest of the boys and then the two English girls who actually outperform all of them (not always but fairly regularly)
Reply 52
What? I'm not talking about video games violence? Nobody's saying your opinions don't matter just that you might not pick up subtle sexism against girls because it doesn't apply to you like I'm not saying there's no racism because I'm white so I might not pick up on racism that my black classmates experience. This is exactly the attitude I'm talking about people thinking that feminism is an attack on males. I know girls also say the reverse but when the boys have evidence to back up their points that they're cleverer it makes a small child maybe think they're right. In my experience a girl has to work a lot harder to gain a reputation for being clever than a boy. Funnily enough I am in the situation you just described but even though I am the one who gets the results, I am the one who asks the interesting questions and I am the one who can come up with solutions it is still the boy next to me who is regarded as the smartest, and then the Asians, and then the rest of the boys and then the two English girls who actually outperform all of them (not always but fairly regularly)

Or it is possible that you see that because modern feminism is all about victimhood.
I'm not sure what you are saying 'when the boys have evidence to back up their points that they're cleverer it makes a small child maybe think they're right' are you saying evidence is sexist?
I said the exact opposite I wasn't regarded as the smartest because I wasn't I got the best results but nobody said I was the smartest, there is more to being smart than results.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hmmm... its not good since women already have the same opportunities as men do, so there isn't real impact from third wave feminism.
I guess, bad? I say its unnecessary at most. Isn't the pay gap a myth or something? Read a couple articles about the reason why women get paid less because of the jobs they work they don't have risk or something like that.

The bad thing about modern feminism is when so called "feminists" try to convince other women/girls is that they're oppressed, they're lacking rights and yadda yadda. Something about femininity is bad and weak, girl emojis are holding girls back, Ban bossy, wanting to look attractive to others is bad, and just I don't know.
Its catastrophic for everyone. It has a hugely destabilising effect on the welfare of the family and society. Its not even good news for women as it has undermined a lot of traditional aspects of our society that were really worth keeping. Its effects can be seen in the large numbers of single teen mothers in regional towns, women in particular suffering from greater health problems and lifestyle attributed cancers, drifting purposeless singletons who are approaching 40, geriatic mothers, infertile couples, everyone under 40 seems to be on some sort of gap year or on drugs or alcohol, traditional skills like cooking, fire making and handicrafts have been lost. Feminism has undermined education taking the focus away from core skills towards towards pointless liberal arts/PSHE guff, and has reduced men to little faggots hooked on social media and computer games when they should be out with the ladies or out having a scrap. So many problems associated with liberals/feminists/zionists/that lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending