The Student Room Group

What are your thoughts on disability discrimination?

I find it utterly disgusting and don't get what possible fun someone could get by treating a less abled person this way.

Scroll to see replies

Disgusting and totally unacceptable :erm:
They've been discriminated throughout history. Evolution and natural selection is always working against them.
Original post by BioStudentx
They've been discriminated throughout history. Evolution and natural selection is always working against them.

This is true, but it shouldn't. Not in a society which can afford to treat those with disabilities with equality like the one we have
I think that anyone that discriminates against disabled people is disgusting.
Reply 5
As someone who is disabled, fortunately I haven't encountered this too often. But yeah, it's horrible thing to exist
I've been on the receiving end of this too many times by people who should know better. And yeah, it is disgusting. They then try to justify it. (it's not discrimination if you can justify it - usually health and safety, such as denying people with certain medical conditions a dricing licence, for example) It doesn't work and their attempt at justifying it is ridiculous.
disabled people do not need to be discriminated against. same time however, do not treated them differently. they want to be treated like everyone else, even if they have impaired abilities. freedom and equality is the right of all sentient beings
Reply 8
No one should make fun of someone who is disabled.
Original post by sdotd
No one should make fun of someone who is disabled.

It's not just about making fun of disabled people. It's the lack a f based c access to things.
I agree with everyone here, it shouldn't happen and it is actually sad to see that it does happen..
Reply 11
Actually they are the people with special abilities. If god has taken aomething from them . He has giftem them with special characters . As we always see a person who is blind has got great ability to hear and so on. we shouldn't be discriminating them .Rather respect them.
Original post by ATRIUM
Actually they are the people with special abilities. If god has taken aomething from them . He has giftem them with special characters . As we always see a person who is blind has got great ability to hear and so on. we shouldn't be discriminating them .Rather respect them.

Not everyone who us blind has that ability. Plus, that "ability" is actually a right pain.
Original post by ATRIUM

Aaaand what you did right there is discrimination.

https://www.ted.com/talks/stella_young_i_m_not_your_inspiration_thank_you_very_much?language=en
Original post by ATRIUM

I want to vomit right now.
Reply 15
Original post by ATRIUM
Actually they are the people with special abilities. If god has taken aomething from them . He has gifted them with special characters . As we always see a person who is blind has got great ability to hear and so on. we shouldn't be discriminating them .Rather respect them.

Blindness is more like a curse than gift in my eyes and not everyone has these "special abilities". Not being deaf (everyone wants to) does not justify blindness.
Reply 16
Original post by Tiger Rag
I've been on the receiving end of this too many times by people who should know better. And yeah, it is disgusting. They then try to justify it. (it's not discrimination if you can justify it - usually health and safety, such as denying people with certain medical conditions a driving licence, for example) It doesn't work and their attempt at justifying it is ridiculous.

Discrimination can never be justified. We live in a so-called civilized society but still treat the disabled like animals. What enjoyment could someone possibly get by this? I just don't understand There is not enough emphasis on disabilities in primary and secondary education this is what leads to the lack of understanding. There should be a lesson where kids are taught about special education because if not we get a highly hostile educated (academics) society.
(edited 8 years ago)
Shouldn't even exist but sometimes we have to accept that if that person is a massive danger to both themselves and others, we can't give them whatever they wanted
Speaking as someone who has an autistic brother who doesn't talk that much but makes sinfully good cake and is very creative, I find anyone who discriminates a disabled person to be sickening.
Reply 19
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Speaking as someone who has an autistic brother who doesn't talk that much but makes sinfully good cake and is very creative, I find anyone who discriminates a disabled person to be sickening.

I can relate to this myself as I have autism and highly struggle with communication and others decide this can be a reason for discrimination. I just wish these people would imagine themselves in the shoes of the people they discriminate against and understand the hardships they face.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending