The Student Room Group

differentiating a piecewise function

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mihael_Keehl

Quite a few, you got any yourself? Seems a bit weird that you're using nn as a continuous variable, by the way.
Reply 2

What makes you think the function is both left and right differentiable, by the way?
Reply 3

I am not known for my pure maths but for differentiation continuity is a prerequisite

vomit; ignore.
(edited 8 years ago)

Original post by Zacken
What makes you think the function is both left and right differentiable, by the way?

Original post by TeeEm
I am not known for my pure maths but for differentiation continuity is a prerequisite

My second year analysis springs to mind (as that's checking whether the function is able to be differentiated from both the right and left and side) :tongue:
Original post by TeeEm

lol!

Just ignore the second function, it's a load of crap anyway.
Original post by Slowbro93
My second year analysis springs to mind (as that's checking whether the function is able to be differentiated from both the right and left and side) :tongue:

Surely this is basic a-level / advanced GCSE?
Reply 8
Original post by Bath_Student
Simply differentiate n^2 + 1 and plug n=1 into the answer.

Should be approximately equal to two.

Remember what it was you said yesterday? Not to say anything when you're clueless? Yeah, that applies here.
Original post by Zacken
Quite a few, you got any yourself? Seems a bit weird that you're using nn as a continuous variable, by the way.

I am not sure it is even possible.

Original post by Zacken

Draw the graph, there is a gap in there and so you cant draw a tanget to it or at least dx=0 so f'(1) doesnt exist.
Reply 10

Awesome, thanks for confirming that, saved me a quick wiki lookup. :biggrin:
Reply 11
lol!

Just ignore the second function, it's a load of crap anyway.

:smile:
Reply 12
I am not sure it is even possible.

Draw the graph, there is a gap in there and so you cant draw a tanget to it or at least dx=0 so f'(1) doesnt exist.

That's correct, your justification isn't the best, but I suppose it'll do at your level.
Surely this is basic a-level / advanced GCSE?

It should be, but given that it's on the point I can't exactly remember the rule of just forgetting the second function (this is what a maths degree did to me :tongue: )
Original post by TeeEm

the dy/dx is e/z what I get is a gap in the graph for f'(x) so not possible right :P
Simply differentiate n^2 + 1 and plug n=1 into the answer.

Should be approximately equal to two.

maybe in c1 :biggrin:
I dont think it is that simple idk

:biggrin:
It should be, but given that it's on the point I can't exactly remember the rule of just forgetting the second function (this is what a maths degree did to me :tongue: )

I have seen what it did to TeeEm, I have been warned not to study maths already :biggrin:

#engineeringmasterrace.
Original post by Zacken
That's correct, your justification isn't the best, but I suppose it'll do at your level.

Could I say that it is infinty?
Reply 17

No, you're quite correct.

No. You say it is non-existent.

Nah, it just does not exist.

Sorry for my lousy faux-pas. I'll point at the time for my excuse..
Original post by Zacken
No, you're quite correct.

No. You say it is non-existent.

Nah, it just does not exist.

Sorry for my lousy faux-pas. I'll point at the time for my excuse..

thnx guys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest