The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

We DO NOT NEED to eat MEAT

Scroll to see replies

Sweetheart, im not implying anything, im saying it clearly.
Original post by heineken
Sweetheart, im not implying anything, im saying it clearly.

Anyway, this is off topic

Regardless of whether or not you believe in creationism or accept evolution as the origin of mankind, humans are undoubtedly more similar anatomically to other herbivorous animals than they are to carnivores.
I now have proof that you are intellectually inferior.
Wait so I shouldn't eat meat because someone else thinks I am hurting poor animals somewhere?
Original post by heineken
I now have proof that you are intellectually inferior.

I care not for the opinion of some random stranger over the internet regarding my religious beliefs

If it's your statement about human anatomy being more similar to a herbivore that you are objecting to, go and do a quick comparison between the internal anatomy of a horse vs a human and the anatomy of a tiger vs a human. We don't have sharp teeth or sharp claws that are capable of tearing pieces out of other animals. We can't even digest raw meat most of the time without getting food poisoning
Original post by RickmanAlways
Vegan not vegetarian

I don't think you've quoted the right person here?
no thanks.
Perhaps not
Okay but have you had chicken wings?
I don't mind people justifying themselves eating meat & dairy bc I know that being vegan isn't for everyone (for a variety of different reasons). However I do have a gripe with people trying to justify animal agriculture. If you wanna keep eating meat because it's easy and tasty and blablablah whatever, that's one thing.. But if you say you wanna keep eating because you actually believe that animal farming is ok, ethical, normal, natural... then you CRAZY!!!

I know different areas of the world develop at different paces but if we just take the UK for example; we used to behead and hang people in the streets.. women used to not be able to vote.. being gay used to be illegal.. etc etc. The people who are against such things are always in the minority to begin with, but as the movement grows and people become more educated about it (which is already happening), it will eventually win. Veggies of today will have been on the right side of history, meanwhile people who support animal agriculture will have been continuing to give money to and normalise the actions of one of the most cruel and destructive industries on the planet :frown:

That being said - I find Gary Yourofsky completely insufferable!! That one quote of his when the interviewer says 'it's the circle of life' and he goes 'no, it's the circle of torture and death' is pretty hilarious though :lol:
Reply 70
so a resteraunt that is local to me serves many verieties of meat, all of which are ethically and locally sourced, for example they never serve veal or lamb the eggs they serve are free range and organic from a farm less than 20 miles away where they also purchase their cock from (yes the farm raises male chicks to be sold as organic meat, far more ethical than killing as chicks), they also serve venison rabbit and hare, all animals which must be culled in order to protect them, the environment and the local crops,

and yet for most crusading veggies ethicly sourced meats and produce are just as bad as eating battery produced eggs and mass produced sausages,
Original post by Henry27
so a resteraunt that is local to me serves many verieties of meat, all of which are ethically and locally sourced, for example they never serve veal or lamb the eggs they serve are free range and organic from a farm less than 20 miles away where they also purchase their cock from (yes the farm raises male chicks to be sold as organic meat, far more ethical than killing as chicks), they also serve venison rabbit and hare, all animals which must be culled in order to protect them, the environment and the local crops,

and yet for most crusading veggies ethicly sourced meats and produce are just as bad as eating battery produced eggs and mass produced sausages,

Well tbh even though this way of doing things is obviously better than other ways, like battery farming and stuff, it's just still not necessary I guess? I don't see why we need to farm and kill animals at all when there are so many other options available to us.. It's obvious that humans can survive without meat and that it can actually be waaaaaaay healthier. Plus there are plenty of veggie 'versions' of meat stuff that is SO DELICIOUS (and there are plenty that are horrible but you can say that about all food hehe!). So.. yeah.. why are we still harming innocent creatures when there is no real need for it at all :/
But I WANT to eat meat.

Original post by Friar Chris
But I WANT to eat meat.

I don't really care what you eat
~dEaL wItH iT~
Original post by huddledapple
I don't really care what you eat

That's quantifies precisely your, and OP's, role in deciding what I should and shouldn't eat, yes.
Original post by Friar Chris
That's quantifies precisely your, and OP's, role in deciding what I should and shouldn't eat, yes.

...What??
No, we don't, but if you want to take the moral high ground on the basis that you don't think animals should die in order for us to eat then you'd better be growing all your own food. Plenty of animals are killed in arable farming, generally in much more gruesome ways than animals going for slaughter. If you're saying that it is acceptable for animals to die for us to eat but it's not acceptable for us to eat them then you're just haggling over price. In any case, if we stopped eating animals they wouldn't be frolicking happily in the fields, they'd just never exist in the first place. Most livestock has been bred to the point they wouldn't survive in the wild and they're not going to be reared for the hell of it.

Mitchell and Webb has a pretty good take on it

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
No. The meat industry is part of the problem when it comes to mass starvation. It's a far more efficient means of food production to grow plants and eat them then it is to feed the plants to animals and then eat the animals. An equivalent area of land can grow far more vegetables than it can meat.

Only partial credit there I'm afraid. Land used for rearing livestock typically isn't suited to growing crops. Crops tend to be rather more lucrative than animals anyway, so land where crops are viable typically isn't used for livestock. And to forestall your next argument, crops fed to livestock generally aren't grown specifically for that purpose, but don't meet the quality standards for sale for human consumption. The first farm I worked on ended up selling their last batch of organic wheat for animal feed as they couldn't find a mill willing to buy it.
Reply 77
I shall eat meat.
Reply 78
Original post by huddledapple
Well tbh even though this way of doing things is obviously better than other ways, like battery farming and stuff, it's just still not necessary I guess? I don't see why we need to farm and kill animals at all when there are so many other options available to us.. It's obvious that humans can survive without meat and that it can actually be waaaaaaay healthier. Plus there are plenty of veggie 'versions' of meat stuff that is SO DELICIOUS (and there are plenty that are horrible but you can say that about all food hehe!). So.. yeah.. why are we still harming innocent creatures when there is no real need for it at all :/

as far as the venison hare and rabbit goes they are culled to prevent overbreeding which would cause them problems so the meat from them is actually a waste product of environmental protection and conservation (either way those animals are going to die why is it wrong to eat them?)

in terms of why eat meat at all i would contest that eating ethicly sourced meat and produce is better for the animals than not eating meat at all by the simple fact that 90%+ of all meat producing animals would simply never exist if we wernt going to eat them.

please dont misunderstand me i find industrial farming practices abhorrent but when animals are kept humanely and dont suffer in any way there is no need to not have them on the menu.
Original post by Henry27
as far as the venison hare and rabbit goes they are culled to prevent overbreeding which would cause them problems so the meat from them is actually a waste product of environmental protection and conservation (either way those animals are going to die why is it wrong to eat them?)

in terms of why eat meat at all i would contest that eating ethicly sourced meat and produce is better for the animals than not eating meat at all by the simple fact that 90%+ of all meat producing animals would simply never exist if we wernt going to eat them.

please dont misunderstand me i find industrial farming practices abhorrent but when animals are kept humanely and dont suffer in any way there is no need to not have them on the menu.

I don't really know much about venison, hare and rabbit and was talking more about farmed animals. However the fact that we need to cull them to prevent over breeding is pretty depressing, and probably humanity's fault anyway for removing all the natural predators from the area. Oh dear..

I personally believe that it would be better for the animals to not exist in the first place, than to be dragged into existence for the sole purpose of being raised for slaughter (and having to undergo a lot of pain and fear in the process) but that's just my personal opinion on that one

I think it's a matter of exploitation as well. Animals are sentient, they're not objects.. When a fox or a lion kills an animal, it's in the wild - it's a free animal that has had it's own free life up until that point. The way that humans do it is different - we take ownership over them that isn't rightfully ours and take it upon ourselves to create and destroy living beings for totally selfish reasons :/

But yeah I mean.. I do get what you're saying. My Dad is not vegan, but he is very conscious about where the meat he buys comes from and... yeah it's cool I guess but it's just not for me

Latest

Trending

Trending