The Student Room Group

Do you find inheritance unfair?

i.e If someone inherits say 500k or 1 million +

or are you okay with it?

Discuss in terms of your personal position.

Me personally: i think it's fine and justified the government should use other taxes such as capital gains and be tighter on loop holes whilst implementing more progressive income taxes.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why would it be unfair? Somebody elses finances are not my concern.
No, not at all.
Original post by Bill_Gates

or are you okay with it?

Me personally: i think it's fine and justified the government should use other taxes such as capital gains and be tighter on loop holes whilst implementing more regressive income taxes.

Regressive? Do you mean progressive?
Reply 4
Is it fair just because you die the government get your things?
No as much as you can say the person who receives the inheritance doesn't deserve it nobody else does either, so I would rather someone I like get them just like if I was alive.
If someone is alive and goes to give someone a cookie should that cookie become government property instead? That is similar to what you are saying.

That is the alternative.
Reply 5
Original post by joecphillips
Is it fair just because you die the government get your things?
No as much as you can say the person who receives the inheritance doesn't deserve it nobody else does either, so I would rather someone I like get them just like if I was alive.
If someone is alive and goes to give someone a cookie should that cookie become government property instead? That is similar to what you are saying.

That is the alternative.

could you talk more about the cookie?

thanks
Reply 6
could you talk more about the cookie?

thanks

I wish I could but the government took
Reply 7
Original post by joecphillips
I wish I could but the government took

those animals.
No. It's neither the government's nor anyone else's concern whether I inherit something or not.

or are you okay with it?

Me personally: i think it's fine and justified the government should use other taxes such as capital gains and be tighter on loop holes whilst implementing more progressive income taxes.

Instead of starting a new thread in this, why don't you just post in the other thread. It's been going for days and is eight pages long.
Life is unfair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
inheritance is normal. It's not immoral, and it's just a normal extension of property rights.
To be honest, I think the government would tax you for breathing if they could.
Inheritance would be unfair, if I would inherit the depts of a died ancestor. Otherwise it is okay.
It might look unfair because we are envious of those who are lucky to inherit.
Original post by Mayhem™
It might look unfair because we are envious of those who are lucky to inherit.

This and maybe that the fact that some people are getting wealthier, although they are before inheritance. Know a distant family of mine where this came true.
I'd say it is unfair and ideally we wouldn't have the concept at all. I believe capitalism functions best when it rewards hard work and innovation as an inidividual, not happening to be born to the wealthy, and the indifference this causes them to feel about succeeding as individuals outweights the gains from the incentive of being able to pass it on to their children. It also fundamentally undermines the moral basis of the system - how do you convince people that their success is based on hard work or innovation when in reality their wealth or lack thereof is based on the lives their parents lived before they were even born? However, I accept that this would require a change in paradigm away from the idea of natural and necessary resources such as housing having traditional property rights altogether which is very unlikely to happen in the immidiate future.
Original post by thegodofgod
To be honest, I think the government would tax you for breathing if they could.

If you have an idea how this could make a reality, don't say nothing. When people are taken the air to breath away, we have made another step to inhumanity.
How is it unfair?
If the wealth was gained through legitimate means I don't see the problem.
Reply 19
Inheritance tax is unfair. You've already paid tax on that income, paying tax because you die is absurd.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending