The Student Room Group

Why does the media depict intersex people as transsexuals?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Since I am trans, yes I do know what trans means. However, you don't.

so that explains what I asked you on the other thread.

Anyhow I left a link that explains what it is. And like I said don't try to claim people who are intersex. It's different from being transgender. Sorry it just is.
Original post by nrb17
so that explains what I asked you on the other thread.

Anyhow I left a link that explains what it is. And like I said don't try to claim people who are intersex. It's different from being transgender. Sorry it just is.

I know of one person who is (reasonably) open about being both trans and intersex and who has talked about the fact that some intersex people don't feel like they can be trans or cis but that there are a not insignificant number of intersex people who identify as trans as well as intersex. I am not claiming intersex people are the same as trans people and I have stated that at least once before. I am saying you are ignoring what being trans means.
Reply 42
I know of one person who is (reasonably) open about being both trans and intersex and who has talked about the fact that some intersex people don't feel like they can be trans or cis but that there are a not insignificant number of intersex people who identify as trans as well as intersex. I am not claiming intersex people are the same as trans people and I have stated that at least once before. I am saying you are ignoring what being trans means.

no I am not I gave you a clear definition.

I'll post it here since you seem to not have looked. Also Lilli never identified as transgender. She said it herself that she was intersex. And Her gender identity corresponded with her biological sex so the definition of transgender being that your identity does not correspond with your sex does not apply for her or any person with an intersex condition.

noting or relating to a person whose gender identity does not correspond to that person’s biological sex assigned at birth: the transgender movement;

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/transgender?
Original post by nrb17
no I am not I gave you a clear definition.

I'll post it here since you seem to not have looked. Also Lilli never identified as transgender. She said it herself that she was intersex. And Her gender identity corresponded with her biological sex so the definition of transgender being that your identity does not correspond with your sex does not apply for her or any person with an intersex condition.

noting or relating to a person whose gender identity does not correspond to that person’s biological sex assigned at birth: the transgender movement;

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/transgender?

Ok, you need to shut the **** up now. I have no idea what point you are trying to prove here but you are trying to define 'transgender' and 'intersex' when as far as I can tell you don't have that right (I am presuming you are cis and non-intersex because I asked you directly and you replied to my question without an answer). As I am not intersex I am not able to speak about that beyond that I am aware that some intersex people are also trans. But I have told you several times the way the trans community defines 'transgender' and you are completely ignoring me.

Are you trying to discredit the trans community? Complain about The Danish Girl? (Because I promise you the trans community are generally not happy about the film.) Raise awareness of intersex conditions? (Well then maybe you should find out how some intersex people feel about assigned gender and being trans or cis.) I cannot see you're doing anything other than spreading ignorance or trolling.
Reply 44
Ok, you need to shut the **** up now. I have no idea what point you are trying to prove here but you are trying to define 'transgender' and 'intersex' when as far as I can tell you don't have that right (I am presuming you are cis and non-intersex because I asked you directly and you replied to my question without an answer). As I am not intersex I am not able to speak about that beyond that I am aware that some intersex people are also trans. But I have told you several times the way the trans community defines 'transgender' and you are completely ignoring me.

Are you trying to discredit the trans community? Complain about The Danish Girl? (Because I promise you the trans community are generally not happy about the film.) Raise awareness of intersex conditions? (Well then maybe you should find out how some intersex people feel about assigned gender and being trans or cis.) I cannot see you're doing anything other than spreading ignorance or trolling.

you're mad at what the definition transgender is... It says it in the link. I didn't make it. Don't shoot the messenger simply because you don't like the message. It really has nothing to do with anything what my gender is. The topic is why say someone is transgender when they never were to begin with.

Intersex men and women are cismen and women btw... By definition. They arenot trans they are cis.

this is what cisgender means.

adjective: cisgender; adjective: cis-gender; adjective: cisgendered; adjective: cis-gendered

denoting or relating to a person whose self-identity conforms with the gender that corresponds to their biological sex; not transgender.

that includes people who have intersex conditions. As their biological sex is male and female.

And no I'm just upset that the media tries when confronted with a situation that has to do with a person with an intersex condition they put it with the trans community. That is what bothers me. I mean if you want to make up a story go ahead but don't pin it on a woman who wasn't even transgender to begin with.
Transgender and intersex are and easily confused with each other. Both of them dress and behave in ways that don't line up with their private parts. So no surprise anyone would be confused.

Then you realize the transgender wants to physically be the sex they believe they are while the intersex already have a mixture of both sexes.

I read an article that intersex is a deformity and not an third sex.
Original post by Macy1998
Transgender and intersex are and easily confused with each other. Both of them dress and behave in ways that don't line up with their private parts. So no surprise anyone would be confused.

Then you realize the transgender wants to physically be the sex they believe they are while the intersex already have a mixture of both sexes.

I read an article that intersex is a deformity and not an third sex.

Maybe you should shut up because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
Original post by IAmNero
This is the kind of thing you see on Tumblr.

Look, physically, there are two genders, male and female.

Neurologically, there are three, Male, female and transgendered.

That is biology. And besides, the MEDIA IS RIGHT, the definition is
denoting or relating to a person whose self-identity does not conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender.

He is on about a person born with ambiguous/ both male and female reproductive organs!!
Reply 48
Original post by Twinpeaks
He is on about a person born with ambiguous/ both male and female reproductive organs!!

I did actually say I misread it. I notice you ignored the fact I destroyed your wage gap **** on another thread
Original post by IAmNero
I did actually say I misread it. I notice you ignored the fact I destroyed your wage gap **** on another thread

You didn't misread it, you were misinformed. Perhaps you should take your own advice and do some research :wink:

Because it is bollox, yes those factors may provide a partial account for the disparity, but feel free to provide evidence that those factors provide a complete account for the disaparity across all industry sectors.

Provide some academic sources pls.
cock and *******s = man

Vagina = woman.

Both = hermaphrodite (not sure of spelling)
Original post by ABsoluteX
cock and *******s = man

Vagina = woman.

Both = hermaphrodite (not sure of spelling)

I believe hermaphrodite is the old term, not sure why it was changed, but it has apparently.
Original post by TheMcSame
I believe hermaphrodite is the old term, not sure why it was changed, but it has apparently.

Just googled it and apparently it's offensive, not going to stop me using it. Intersex is the new term I believe.
Original post by nrb17
Do you know what intersex is?

It's not something in your head? It's when you have a body that is both male and female. Like xxy chromosomes or a penis and a vagina. You can not be transgender when you are already genetically female and male. I can not transition to live as a woman when I am a female. Get it?

Basically hermaphrodite, right?
Just googled it and apparently it's offensive, not going to stop me using it. Intersex is the new term I believe.

what difference does it make to you between hermaphrodite / intersex?

Surely refusing to stop using an offensive term

You aren't going to stop using a derogatory term to describe someone with a physical condition despite learning that it's considered offensive?

Well aren't you splendid. Do you also call people with cerebral palsy *******s?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mojojojo101
what difference does it make to you between hermaphrodite / intersex?

Surely refusing to stop using an offensive term

Simply because I have always used it and never meant any offence. If people choose to believe I am then so be it.
You aren't going to stop using a derogatory term to describe someone with a physical condition despite learning that it's considered offensive?

Well aren't you splendid. Do you also call people with cerebral palsy *******s?

People can choose whether or not they want to take offence, it's the biologically correct time and therefore I shall continue using it.
People can choose whether or not they want to take offence, it's the biologically correct time and therefore I shall continue using it.

Don't be so ignorant.

It is not the medically correct term.

"Hermaphrodite" may be a biological definition, because firstly it applies to animals, and plants. Secondly, when used in that sense, it as not a condition, but an actual characteristic of a species, such as a snail. Snails have both female and male reproductive organs, therefore they are all hermaphrodites. It is not a condition, but a defining feature.

But for humans when having both reproductive organs is an actual condition, it is not the correct definition. It is considered stigmatising. Why, are you being so obtuse here? When someone tells you that a term for a medical condition is considered offensive, you learn from it. Learning from ones mistakes is a vital component of personal development. So if you want to stay an ignorant child, then feel free to do so. But you won't get very far in life.

You can't call someone an insulting term and then say it's their choice whether they take offense... I swear, I used to work in a school for autism, and those children had a lot more sense than half of the people on here. Obviously mummy and daddy has been indulging in your intelligence.
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't be so ignorant.

It is not the medically correct term.

"Hermaphrodite" may be a biological definition, because firstly it applies to animals, and plants. Secondly, when used in that sense, it as not a condition, but an actual characteristic of a species, such as a snail. Snails have both female and male reproductive organs, therefore they are all hermaphrodites. It is not a condition, but a defining feature.

But for humans when having both reproductive organs is an actual condition, it is not the correct definition. It is considered stigmatising. Why, are you being so obtuse here? When someone tells you that a term for a medical condition is considered offensive, you learn from it. Learning from ones mistakes is a vital component of personal development. So if you want to stay an ignorant child, then feel free to do so. But you won't get very far in life.

You can't call someone an insulting term and then say it's their choice whether they take offense... I swear, I used to work in a school for autism, and those children had a lot more sense than half of the people on here. Obviously mummy and daddy has been indulging in your intelligence.

I'm still going to continue using it because it's correct. It was always used until someone came up with intersex.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending