Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does the media depict intersex people as transsexuals? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't get that. I have seen like this happen in several avenues. One that gets on my nerve a lot is a specific movie that talks about someone as if they're transgender when they were suffering from an intersex condition. And no one corrects this. As if it doesn't matter. Because intersex people aren't as visible doesn't mean people who are have to be transgender. it's so ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nrb17)
    I don't get that. I have seen like this happen in several avenues. One that gets on my nerve a lot is a specific movie that talks about someone as if they're transgender when they were suffering from an intersex condition. And no one corrects this. As if it doesn't matter. Because intersex people aren't as visible doesn't mean people who are have to be transgender. it's so ignorant.
    The medical term is transexual

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    The medical term is transexual
    not for people with intersex conditions. They can't be transsexual because they are both male and female. You can't transition to something you were always genetically. That's what irks me. There was a movie out about a historical figure who was intersex who got treatment for it and they depicted as if she was transitioning from male to female. When she was just getting treated for a condition she happened to have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nrb17)
    not for people with intersex conditions. They can't be transsexual because they are both male and female. You can't transition to something you were always genetically. That's what irks me. There was a movie out about a historical figure who was intersex who got treatment for it and they depicted as if she was transitioning from male to female. When she was just getting treated for a condition she happened to have.
    This is the kind of thing you see on Tumblr.

Look, physically, there are two genders, male and female.

Neurologically, there are three, Male, female and transgendered.

That is biology. And besides, the MEDIA IS RIGHT, the definition is
    denoting or relating to a person whose self-identity does not conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender.

ReputationRep:

denoting or relating to a person whose self-identity does not conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender.
    Do you know what intersex is?

It's not something in your head? It's when you have a body that is both male and female. Like xxy chromosomes or a penis and a vagina. You can not be transgender when you are already genetically female and male. I can not transition to live as a woman when I am a female. Get it?

ReputationRep:

Transgender probably doesn't mean inter-sex consider it is trans, as in the opposite of cis.

If someone was born with both genitalia, how does it make them trans?

ReputationRep:

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Transgender probably doesn't mean inter-sex consider it is trans, as in the opposite of cis.

If someone was born with both genitalia, how does it make them trans?
    Heamaphrodite would be better.

ReputationRep:
    My argument was not what term would be better, it was simply to state that they are clearly not trans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    My argument was not what term would be better, it was simply to state that they are clearly not trans.
    I know, I was misreading what the OP said

ReputationRep:
    Regardless, your previous statement is false.
    People have moved away from using the term hermaphrodite in regards to humans although it is used for other organisms.

ReputationRep:
    I know, I was misreading what the OP said

And I had no idea the two were being confused.

ReputationRep:
    because not all intersex people have actually both male and female genitalia. Like with some it's only on a chromosomal level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bad Faith)
    Regardless, your previous statement is false.
    People have moved away from using the term hermaphrodite in regards to humans although it is used for other organisms.
    (Original post by nrb17)
    because not all intersex people have actually both male and female genitalia. Like with some it's only on a chromosomal level.
    Bad Faith, I confessed that.

Oh well, I don't think it really matters, make a petition on the governement website if you want ti to change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldbangles)

And I had no idea the two were being confused.
    I see it more of the time now especially when it's not diagnosed when they are born.

ReputationRep:

Physically,thee are two sexes: male and female. The word sex in our society is synonymous with gender, but many people consider them to be separate. Gender is defined as "is the range of characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity", so man or woman, basically. Masculinity and femininity are social constructs, and therefore so is gender. Usually, male = man and female = woman.

Physically, most people are male or female, but there are cases where people have some sort of mixture between male and female genitals, or their genitals don't "match" their chromosomes.

Transgender isn't a separate gender or neurological state, it just means that a person identifies as a gender different to the one they were assumed to have at birth.

You can change your legal sex (i.e. the sex stated on you passport),which I suppose is where the term "transsexual" came from, but not your genetic sex. Most transgender people change their legal sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    Physically,thee are two sexes: male and female. The word sex in our society is synonymous with gender, but many people consider them to be separate. Gender is defined as "is the range of characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity", so man or woman, basically. Masculinity and femininity are social constructs, and therefore so is gender.

Physically, most people are male or female, but there are cases where people have some sort of mixture between male and female genitals, or their genitals don't "match" their chromosomes.

Transgender isn't a separate gender, or neurological state, it just means that a person identifies as a gender different to the one they were assumed to have at birth.
    When you said social construct the rest of your argument became rubbish to me

ReputationRep:
    When you said social construct the rest of your argument became rubbish to me
    Why's that then? If you're not willing to consider and debate different viewpoints, why did you participate in this thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    Physically,thee are two sexes: male and female. The word sex in our society is synonymous with gender, but many people consider them to be separate. Gender is defined as "is the range of characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity", so man or woman, basically. Masculinity and femininity are social constructs, and therefore so is gender. Usually, male = man and female = woman.

Transgender isn't a separate gender or neurological state, it just means that a person identifies as a gender different to the one they were assumed to have at birth.

You can change your legal sex (i.e. the sex stated on you passport),which I suppose is where the term "transsexual" came from, but not your genetic sex. Most transgender people change their legal sex.
    no there are three sexes. You can be born with both male and female genitalia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nrb17)
    no there are three sexes. You can be born with both male and female genitalia.
    That's known as intersex. I don't think it's medically considerd a different sex, but I could be wrong. I don't think it's possible to have completely separate and fully formed male and female reproductive systems. It's usually somewhere between male and female genitals e.g. a very enlarged clitoris or small penis and internal testes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.