The Student Room Group

Circular motion, range of values of T?

Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 19.54.49.png

Part (a) was nice and neat, but I'm a little confused about part (b).

So I resolved towards the centre of the circle and used circular motion acceleration through Newton's 2nd Law to get T = 3mgsinθ - (2/3)mg, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I feel like I should instinctively solve for θ when T is zero, but I'm not sure, since that would just imply that it is zero.

Please help, thanks

@TeeEm
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by WarwickPhysicist

So I resolved towards the centre of the circle and used circular motion acceleration through Newton's 2nd Law to get T = 3mgsinθ - (2/3)mg, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I feel like I should instinctively solve for θ when T is zero, but I'm not sure, since that would just imply that it is zero.

Please help, thanks

@TeeEm

is this an EDEXCEL question ?
if it is please tell me the paper

Please help, thanks

@TeeEm

By equating tension to the centripetal force mv2r\frac{mv^2}{r}

I have T=23mg(3sin(θ)1)T = \frac{2}{3}mg(3\sin(\theta)-1)

Which gives T=0T = 0 when sin(θ)=13\sin(\theta)=\frac{1}{3} and T=43mgT=\frac{4}{3}mg when θ=π2\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}

Hence 0T43mg0 \leq T \leq \frac{4}{3}mg
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Euclidean
By equating tension to the centripetal force mv2r\frac{mv^2}{r}

I have T=23mg(3sin(θ)1)T = \frac{2}{3}mg(3\sin(\theta)-1)

Which gives T=0T = 0 when sin(θ)=13\sin(\theta)=\frac{1}{3} and T=43mgT=\frac{4}{3}mg when θ=π2\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}

Hence 0T43mg0 \leq T \leq \frac{4}{3}mg

@TeeEm does this look right to you?

I am way too busy to look at this ...
that is why I asked the OP to tell me the paper so I can post my own personal solution
Original post by TeeEm
I am way too busy to look at this ...
that is why I asked the OP to tell me the paper so I can post my own personal solution

january 2010 M3 edexcel
january 2010 M3 edexcel

My answer is very wrong (sorry :redface:). This paper is on my to-do list now... :s-smilie:
Reply 6
january 2010 M3 edexcel

comning on a link
Original post by Euclidean
My answer is very wrong (sorry :redface:). This paper is on my to-do list now... :s-smilie:

nah it wasn't that wrong, i just got 7/3 instead of 4/3 for the coefficient of mg, but apart from this question the rest of the paper was really nice
nah it wasn't that wrong, i just got 7/3 instead of 4/3 for the coefficient of mg, but apart from this question the rest of the paper was really nice

I didn't account for the weight of the particle which should increase the tension :smile:
and thanks for your help everyone :smile:
Reply 11
and thanks for your help everyone :smile:

I hope the link works
Original post by TeeEm
I hope the link works

yeah it did, thanks a lot! very impressed with your presentation
Reply 13
yeah it did, thanks a lot! very impressed with your presentation

thanks