The Student Room Group

Units of momentum

Is there a difference between saying kilogram metres per second

and kilograms per metre per second?

besides the extra per and loss of s after metre in the second phrase is there a difference?
If I'm not mistaken, kg per meter per second is also kgs/m because when you divide by a value, its also the same a multiplying by the reciprocal.
Reply 2
Original post by ravioliyears
If I'm not mistaken, kg per meter per second is also kgs/m because when you divide by a value, its also the same a multiplying by the reciprocal.

hmmm my friend said they were the same and i was sure they were but he insisted they were so i'm here now asking this question
so kilogram metres per second is
kgms\dfrac {kgm}{s}
but what you think is
kg per meter per second is
kgms\dfrac{kg}{\dfrac{m}{s}}??
Reply 3
Original post by thefatone
Is there a difference between saying kilogram metres per second

and kilograms per metre per second?

besides the extra per and loss of s after metre in the second phrase is there a difference?

Without any brackets to specify, that's read as kilograms metres per second is kgm/s.

kilograms per metre per second is read as kg/(ms)
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
Without any brackets to specify, that's read as kilograms metres per second is kgm/s.

kilograms per metre per second is read as kg/(ms)

i would've thought that mean kg/m/s instead?
Reply 5
i would've thought that mean kg/m/s instead?

Nopes. You read acceleration as metres per second per second. This mean m/(ss) = m/(s^2). Not m/(s/s) = m... That's nonsensical.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Nopes. You read acceleration as metres per second per second. This mean m/(ss) = m/(s^2). Not m/(s/s) = m... That's nonsensical.

ok so the end result is it's different thanks for clarifying all ^-^
Reply 7
ok so the end result is it's different thanks for clarifying all ^-^

Yes. No worries.

Quick Reply

Latest