The Student Room Group

IVF on the NHS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hann95
Well I'm extremely happy for your mum and that you're here today. Medical science is truly amazing!

It is indeed! :tongue: But yes your right, the effects on mental health are far more severe than the users on here have made them out to be.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
It is indeed! :tongue: But yes your right, the effects on mental health are far more severe than the users on here have made them out to be.

What about the effect on mental health of a miscarriage, or a at term still birth, or a multiple pregnancy (sometimes 3, 4+), all things much more likely in IVF. There are some particularly harrowing cases involving multiple pregnancy and its complications out there. Could it be better for some couples to properly think about adopting, rather than clinging to the 25% hope that IVF brings?

'Mental health' is not an argument that necessarily sways in either direction.
Original post by nexttime
What about the effect on mental health of a miscarriage, or a at term still birth, or a multiple pregnancy (sometimes 3, 4+), all things much more likely in IVF. There are some particularly harrowing cases involving multiple pregnancy and its complications out there. Could it be better for some couples to properly think about adopting, rather than clinging to the 25% hope that IVF brings?

Jesus Christ read the full conversation. We weren't talking about mental health as a reason for IVF, we were talking about the disgusting, uneducated way people on this thread were talking about mental health. Describing depression as "feeling a bit sad", putting the words mental health in quotation marks as though it's not a real issue etc.
Reply 103
Yes. By the time someone gets to IVf those tests are all most definitely done as they're so much cheaper than IVF. To send someone for IVF that didn't need it would be disastrous cost-wise.
Really? How many endocrine disorders alone can contribute to infertility? How much would it cost to test for each?

What, by visiting their GP a lot? Maybe. They get bored eventually though. Again I'll point out: IVF is not a very good treatment - even the most generous CCGs only give one or two rounds at most - the question here is not IVF vs no IVF. Its no IVF vs one maybe two chances that probably won't work anyway. Unless you're suggesting everyone should have unlimited shots at IVF at which case a "small fortune" is a drop in the ocean of the amount of funding you're going to have to come up with!

Err no i'm not suggesting anything like unlimited rounds. I'm suggesting that patients denied IVF especially if they feel unfairly treated, which a postcode lottery clearly is can easily rack up costs of a round of IVF in GP visits, tests and mental health care and that the cost savings of cutting IVF funding aren't as straight forward as some are suggesting.
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm sure that hopeful parents are made aware of the risks prior to going ahead with it. It should therefore be their own decision as to whether they'd like to continue. The chance of conceiving naturally is also only 25% per cycle, and that's only with a young and healthy woman.
Original post by hovado
We have yet another healthcare postcode lottery when it comes to IVF with more and more Clinical Commissioning Groups cutting funding for IVF treatment, in same cases IVF is now only provided where the patient is undergoing cancer treatment or has HIV.

Provision of healthcare based on postcode surely cannot be justified so what do you feel the NHS should be doing as a whole?

This is what happens when you tender out contracts to a region instead of issuing nationwide guidelines and funding appropriately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec

I hate children and people even more than them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmao. I remember when I was an edgy teenager, too.

Don't worry, you will grow out of this phase.
Original post by Etomidate
Lmao. I remember when I was an edgy teenager, too.

Don't worry, you will grow out of this phase.

I'm not a teenager, I'm misanthropic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not a teenager, I'm misanthropic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Hann95
Jesus Christ read the full conversation. We weren't talking about mental health as a reason for IVF, we were talking about the disgusting, uneducated way people on this thread were talking about mental health. Describing depression as "feeling a bit sad", putting the words mental health in quotation marks as though it's not a real issue etc.

I don't think anyone's saying that.

Surely, it's better to offer things like counselling and other talking therapies?
Original post by Tiger Rag
I don't think anyone's saying that.

Surely, it's better to offer things like counselling and other talking therapies?

Someone literally said further back in the thread "feeling a bit sad"

Once again I HAVE NOT GIVEN MY OPINION ON THE QUESTION ASKED, I SIMPLY MADE AN OBSERVATION ABOUT SOME OF THE ATTITUDES DEMONSTRATED TOWARDS MENTAL HEALTH. I CANNOT BE ANY CLEARER.
Original post by Hann95
Someone literally said further back in the thread "feeling a bit sad"

Once again I HAVE NOT GIVEN MY OPINION ON THE QUESTION ASKED, I SIMPLY MADE AN OBSERVATION ABOUT SOME OF THE ATTITUDES DEMONSTRATED TOWARDS MENTAL HEALTH. I CANNOT BE ANY CLEARER.

Caps Lock, cruise control for cool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Caps Lock, cruise control for cool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Putting it in lowercase didn't seem to catch people's attention
Original post by Hann95
Putting it in lowercase didn't seem to catch people's attention

People still don't care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People still don't care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a thread on an online forum, I don't expect anyone to "care" hun
Original post by paul514
Providing mental health counselling is incredibly cheap the wage for an nhs counsellor is low 20's and they treat tens of people every week each.

IVF would certainly be way more expensive

Posted from TSR Mobile

The concept of health extends far beyond the simple absence of disease.

Given the positive impact on quality of life and its lasting duration (i.e. a lifetime) that IVF has for two parents (and potentially grandparents), I would argue that the cost gives you an incredible bang for its buck. Far beyond many of the other procedures we do on the NHS, that's for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending