The Student Room Group

UNPOPULAR OPINION: Slut shaming can be justified

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laurenloops
Self respect is a social construct. Do you think any other animals have self respect? You don't see rats, elephants, worms etc. have sex with different partners and then stop as they think to themselves 'Hmm, i can't have any more sex because i have too much self respect'. Animals don't wear clothes as to them, self respect is non existent. As animals, we aren't programmed to have self respect as it doesn't actually exist.

My motto is if it doesn't physically hurt anyone, I have no right to judge or be against it. It's the same with lots of things

I saw my cat dropping a chocolate log on my neighbours garden yesterday morning and i can assure you he was very uncomfortable and emberassed with me watching him poop
I think you're going a bit too far.

It's not that they deserve to be, but that's what is real. And that its perfectly fine for someone to reject them based on their history and judge them on it.

To shame them publicly as if they're a criminal? Slightly excessive. To not want to engage with them for their life choices and character? Perfectly reasonable.
Self respect is a social construct. Do you think any other animals have self respect? You don't see rats, elephants, worms etc. have sex with different partners and then stop as they think to themselves 'Hmm, i can't have any more sex because i have too much self respect'. Animals don't wear clothes as to them, self respect is non existent. As animals, we aren't programmed to have self respect as it doesn't actually exist.

My motto is if it doesn't physically hurt anyone, I have no right to judge or be against it. It's the same with lots of things

That is an extremely silly reason. Yes we are animals, but that doesn't mean we should act like it. Otherwise this line of reasoning can be used to justify lots of things, like murder, rape, thievery, dishonesty, etc. Yes we are animals in that have primal instincts, but we have a higher level of social functioning and we should act based on that.
Reply 63
*scrolls through comments*
Or maybe, speaking from an evolutionary viewpoint, animals who are pooping are seen as more vulnerable and easier prey as you aren't fully concentrating on your surroundings whilst pooping. Maybe he saw you staring at him and thought you were watching him as a predator and that's why he didn't like it.

Either way, give your cat some privacy to carry out his *ahem*...Business ;P

Nooo he loves me he was looking sheepish and embarassed i continued watching because his reaction was making me lol
The difference between sleeping with a lot of consenting people and rape,murder,thievery,dishonesty is MASSIVE.

Like I said, sleeping with lots of consenting people doesn't hurt anyone. All those other things do hurt people. If it doesn't hurt you or anyone else, i don't see why people care so much?

Yes of course. But using the animal argument is dumb.
maybe in some cases you could gently suggest to someone (if you're a trusted friend to them) that they should tone it down, if perhaps they don't see what they're doing as 'slutty' for want of a better word

some examples of situations where I might feel a duty to intervene:
>my friend is trying to sleep/has slept with with someone/multiple people who ain't single
>a friend is having tons of unprotected sex with strangers
>sending too many noods to too many people

blah blah

but really it's none of our business. If nobody is getting hurt whatever can you not be harsh on people you don't know who may or may not be 'slutty' in your eyes hmmkay
Original post by FredOrJohn
Numerous reasons but the main one is that bringing up children is about the most important thing you can do in life.

I'll stop you there. I don't want children.
Since this thread has been revived, although I genuinely no longer hold this opinion I have one question:

Isn't ****boy as offensive as slut

Both mean the same thing, right.?
Okay, say someone likes watching animals poop. It doesn't hurt the animal and it doesn't hurt any person. You just like watching them for some reason (Whatever floats your boat hey ;P ). Many people would see this as a weird behaviour and start shaming you for it, even though it doesn't hurt them or have anything to do with them. It isn't fair.

If someone saw you watching your cat poop, they might say something horrible, and you might think 'Well, its my cat, the cat isn't getting hurt, i find it funny watching the cats expression whilst it poops, it has nothing to do with this person what I do in my spare time, what's the issue?' This can be related to someone having sex with lots of people. It doesn't involve anyone else.

Cat pooper watchers and promiscuous persons should unite
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Cat pooper watchers and promiscuous persons should unite

I'm sure they could change the world, maybe they should start their own political party xD
Reply 71
Original post by 41b
Slutty women make terrible wives and are a perennial distraction.

Terrible wives result in broken homes, single parent households and the massive problems that result. Single parent households are universally proven to produce children with far higher rates of crime, suicide, depression, rape and theft.

Slutty women also distract men from the real business of society.

What is gained from women being in the workforce is generally replaceable by automation and there is little reason for women to work these days. If there must be money given for easy jobs then it must go to men, whose self-esteem and self-worth depends on their work.

The costs, especially the wasted costs (like men being fired of sexual harassment accusations), of women in the workforce are starting to outweigh the benefits and if men have any testosterone left they will, for economic reasons and for reasons of self-preservation, demand the undoing of the neoliberal "liberation" of women from their traditional responsibilities of motherhood and family.

Unfortunately testosterone levels have fallen a fair amount and in countries without adequate water processing systems, the flood of oestrogen (and other female-targeting drugs, like antidepressants) going into the water supply is likely causing a disruption of natural male behaviour.

Now that's ridiculously sexist; this guy is definitely a Donald Trump supporter.
Original post by minimarshmallow
I'll stop you there. I don't want children.

..so best solution would be not to have sex but find other hobbies that are more rewarding (and I'm sure there are all sorts). If you don't want kids, don't bother taking the risk.
Original post by FredOrJohn
..so best solution would be not to have sex but find other hobbies that are more rewarding (and I'm sure there are all sorts). If you don't want kids, don't bother taking the risk.

Or, I can exercise extreme caution when having sex, continue to take my pill, make my partner use a condom and also know that the morning after pill or abortion are options, at least until such point as I can look to get my tubes tied by the NHS.

Sex isn't just to have kids, sex can be quite fun, which is probably why most people have it. It's not a hobby, my hobbies are reading and writing blog posts and book reviews and working out and watching TV etc. Sex isn't even in the same category as these things.
Reply 74
Original post by BrianMcEgg
Since this thread has been revived, although I genuinely no longer hold this opinion I have one question:

Very true, love how none of them reply to this.
Original post by okey
Very true, love how none of them reply to this.

It's the thing the Internet does, make a controversial post everyone is carrying to nukes to fire at you whilst when you make a good point they pretend it was never made
Reply 76
It's the thing the Internet does, make a controversial post everyone is carrying to nukes to fire at you whilst when you make a good point they pretend it was never made

It's because most of them use the same recycled arguments that they've heard from one of their friends or a website they looked at in their bedroom at 1:00 am, so when they hear something original they don't know how to think.
Original post by okey
It's because most of them use the same recycled arguments that they've heard from one of their friends or a website they looked at in their bedroom at 1:00 am, so when they hear something original they don't know how to think.

Aka can't think for themselves, learned valuable lessons from making statements because I agree with someone, simply doesn't work when someone that thinks for themselves comes along with a lot of knowledge about the subject. Coincidentally this is pretty common when encountering over the top feminists - always happy to debate but you have to think for yourself!

Yes, being called a ****boy is as offensive as being called a slut, after all they are both insults.

I didn't answer as I thought it was a rhetorical question and agree with it, so didn't feel a need to reply.
Yes, being called a ****boy is as offensive as being called a slut, after all they are both insults.

I didn't answer as I thought it was a rhetorical question and agree with it, so didn't feel a need to reply.

Nah it was a genuine question, for future reference that's how I deal with situations like these so I'm reassured that I'm talking to the people that know what they're talking about(ironic considering the initial thread I know)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending