The Student Room Group

Do you support gay marriage?

Scroll to see replies

if there muslim and gay they need help and if there family there getting disowned other than that other people can do what they want.
Original post by rimshaiqbal
if there muslim and gay they need help and if there family there getting disowned other than that other people can do what they want.

Alhamdulilah I'm gay and a practising Muslim. My family never disowned me when I came out at 15.

There you go.

Gay , Muslim and Proud.

Deal with it.

Sal'laam
Original post by Jhansen23
Alhamdulilah I'm gay and a practising Muslim. My family never disowned me when I came out at 15.

There you go.

Gay , Muslim and Proud.

Deal with it.

Sal'laam

wow, just wow you must not be practising then. can you tell me the whole concept of how your muslim and gay. your either gay and not muslim or muslim and not gay
Original post by ADGWrigley
Not all gay people just have anal sex. Stephen Fry is gay and he's never done anal in his life.

You're absolutely correct. Most gay men DON'T have anal sex.
wow, just wow you must not be practising then. can you tell me the whole concept of how your muslim and gay. your either gay and not muslim or muslim and not gay

Bro.

Go and do suhoor.

Focus on that which will enrich your own life and leave others to theirs.

Ramadhan Kareem!
Original post by Maz96
In all those cases, it's hetreosexual marriage not gay - your point is what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where in the bible does it ban homosexuality? Curious.
Reply 526
Gay marriage has already been legalised so there is no point crying over the past.

Religiously I believe that the concept of homosexual marriage is wrong but I also believe that (as a Muslim) that it's not my business what a hetero/homosexual couple does. That's up to them. I am NOT for gay marriage (for, as in, attending pride, changing my pp to the LGBT flag or actively campaigning for gay marriage) and I am NOT against it.

By looking at the thread, some of you think that religion isn't a valid reason.
I've also seen people wanting the gay marriage to be legal across the world.

Whilst I agree that persecuting someone JUST for being gay is wrong, you have got to understand that many people in the Middle East (and Russia) have held 'traditional' views regarding marriage. The concept of being gay/ gay marriage is something that is abnormal to them, especially the older generation (ask my grandma what she thinks of being gay and she will think it's wrong - and no, she is not homophobic before someone starts bashing my grandma). To some extent, some of the younger generation also do not necessarily support the concept of gay marriage.

My point is that implementing gay marriage into a country such as Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, India etc. will NOT be received with as much enthusiasm as the western countries. You can't force people in these countries to legalise gay marriage. For example, some people in China eat dogs and they consider it as normal whereas in western countries, dogs are regarded highly as pets and a very few minority of people exist who actually eat dogs. It will be very hard to get countries like the US to introduce legislation legalising eating dogs (but then again, I don't know much about US politics so for all I know, this might be legal so let's just say that the general public won't agree it).

Most countries in Asia and the Middle East are deeply religious and are bound by culture and tradition so introducing gay marriage is out of question. I'd say it's even impossible. You can't force western views on the middle east/asia because all these parts have a different interpretations of what is right and wrong.

This is the reality of the situation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lujubi
Gay marriage has already been legalised so there is no point crying over the past.

Religiously I believe that the concept of homosexual marriage is wrong but I also believe that (as a Muslim) that it's not my business what a hetero/homosexual couple does. That's up to them. I am NOT for gay marriage (for, as in, attending pride, changing my pp to the LGBT flag or actively campaigning for gay marriage) and I am NOT against it.

By looking at the thread, some of you think that religion isn't a valid reason.
I've also seen people wanting the gay marriage to be legal across the world.

Whilst I agree that persecuting someone JUST for being gay is wrong, you have got to understand that many people in the Middle East (and Russia) have held 'traditional' views regarding marriage. The concept of being gay/ gay marriage is something that is abnormal to them, especially the older generation (ask my grandma what she thinks of being gay and she will think it's wrong - and no, she is not homophobic before someone starts bashing my grandma). To some extent, some of the younger generation also do not necessarily support the concept of gay marriage.

My point is that implementing gay marriage into a country such as Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, India etc. will NOT be received with as much enthusiasm as the western countries. You can't force people in these countries to legalise gay marriage. For example, some people in China eat dogs and they consider it as normal whereas in western countries, dogs are regarded highly as pets and a very few minority of people exist who actually eat dogs. It will be very hard to get countries like the US to introduce a legislation legalising eating dogs (but then again, I don't know much about US politics so for all I know, this might be legal so let's just say that the general public won't agree it).

Most countries in Asia and the Middle East are deeply religious and are bound by culture and tradition so introducing gay marriage is out of question. I'd say it's even impossible. You can't force western views on the middle east/asia because all these parts have a different interpretations of what is right and wrong.

This is the reality of the situation.

Not at all. The fact that it's well received doesn't mean it's right and shouldn't be changed. We'd all live in the Middle Ages were that the default, short-sighted logic.

We're talking about human rights here. Not YOUR rights, but other people's rights. Most religious people, selfish as ever, always impose their beliefs on others, and it's unfortunately your logic that keeps them going. To say that people being whiplashed because they're gay should not be challenged because people there generally accept it is preposterous.

Don't expect people to accept such barbarian practices. No, countries like SA and Pakistan probably won't change (because of you know what), but that doesn't mean people don't get to call them backwards and whatnot, because that is precisely what they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 528
Original post by *Stefan*
Not at all. The fact that it's well received doesn't mean it's right and shouldn't be changed. We'd all live in the Middle Ages were that the default, short-sighted logic.

We're talking about human rights here. Not YOUR rights, but other people's rights. Most religious people, selfish as ever, always impose their beliefs on others, and it's unfortunately your logic that keeps them going. To say that people being whiplashed because they're gay should not be challenged because people there generally accept it is preposterous.

Don't expect people to accept such barbarian practices. No, countries like SA and Pakistan probably won't change (because of you know what), but that doesn't mean people don't get to call them backwards and whatnot, because that is precisely what they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's your Western point of view against theirs. My point was that the introduction of gay marriage in countries like Saudi Arabia, Pakistan etc. will probably never happens so the point about implementing it in every country in the world is unrealistic.

You also mentioned MOST religious people force their religion on others and are selfish. I don't see where you got this idea from.

I never said that people being whiplashed should not be challenged. The problem when it comes to discussing gay marriage is that people always go too far and get triggered and begin to put words in other people's mouths. You have missed my point entirely and therefore we can't have a good debate about this.

Oh, and also, don't expect people in countries in the ME/Asia to accept Western practices and gay marriage because they have not been brought up in an environment where this is viewed normal. I didn't say anything about harassing/abusing gay people being right.

I also didn't say that Pakistan and Middle East should not be called backwards and nor do I expect some people to. Equally, do not expect the majority in those countries to accept the principle of gay marriage.

I would like to add that being religious does not equate to being backwards. But then again, that's your view and you are entitled to have that view because we live in a democracy where free speech is allowed.
Nope!
Original post by Lujubi
That's your Western point of view against theirs. My point was that the introduction of gay marriage in countries like Saudi Arabia, Pakistan etc. will probably never happens so the point about implementing it in every country in the world is unrealistic.

You also mentioned MOST religious people force their religion on others and are selfish. I don't see where you got this idea from.

I never said that people being whiplashed should not be challenged. The problem when it comes to discussing gay marriage is that people always go too far and get triggered and begin to put words in other people's mouths. You have missed my point entirely and therefore we can't have a good debate about this.

Oh, and also, don't expect people in countries in the ME/Asia to accept Western practices and gay marriage because they have not been brought up in an environment where this is viewed normal. I didn't say anything about harassing/abusing gay people being right.

I also didn't say that Pakistan and Middle East should not be called backwards and nor do I expect some people to. Equally, do not expect the majority in those countries to accept the principle of gay marriage.

I would like to add that being religious does not equate to being backwards. But then again, that's your view and you are entitled to have that view because we live in a democracy where free speech is allowed.

"Western" view? You mean the humane, modern and respectful view apparently.

You don't see where I get this idea from? Please. If it were different, we wouldn't even be discussing this now.

I don't get when people think their arguments on this topic only refer to single elements. My point was consequential to yours. SA, for religious reasons, whiplashes gay people, just because they're gay. The society itself embraces and encourages this. According to your logic, we shouldn't challenge this because it's the status quo. Don't get why you're trying to segregate the issues.

The "being brought into something" argument is deeply fallacious and disturbing. There is always the point for change. If that argument worked in factual terms, black people wouldn't have any rights today, nor would homosexuals be able to marry in western societies. Someone always changes the status quo.

Erm, isn't that what I said? I don't expect them to accept it precisely because they're backwards. I'm well aware the corrosion of religion in those societies will not wear out.

Of course it doesn't equate to being backwards. Where did I say it does? There's a difference between religious people who respect human rights and religious people who do not. You can guess whom I was referring to when I said "backwards".

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
"Western" view? You mean the humane, modern and respectful view apparently.

You don't see where I get this idea from? Please. If it were different, we wouldn't even be discussing this now.

I don't get when people think their arguments on this topic only refer to single elements. My point was consequential to yours. SA, for religious reasons, whiplashes gay people, just because they're gay. The society itself embraces and encourages this. According to your logic, we shouldn't challenge this because it's the status quo. Don't get why you're trying to segregate the issues.

The "being brought into something" argument is deeply fallacious and disturbing. There is always the point for change. If that argument worked in factual terms, black people wouldn't have any rights today, nor would homosexuals be able to marry in western societies. Someone always changes the status quo.

Erm, isn't that what I said? I don't expect them to accept it precisely because they're backwards. I'm well aware the corrosion of religion in those societies will not wear out.

Of course it doesn't equate to being backwards. Where did I say it does? There's a difference between religious people who respect human rights and religious people who do not. You can guess whom I was referring to when I said "backwards".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not all people will think that the 'western view' is respectful and humane.

They're not backwards. It's just the way those countries are. Same goes with western countries with their rules and ideology.

They can change, but that needs more decision making for the government and the people of the country. I can think that gay marriage will be impossible in these countries.

All comes down to your opinion btw.
Does our opinion even matter OP?
If your against it. Gay people will still do their thing.
If your with it. Gay people will still do their thing.
Either way....

Spoiler

So tell me why you care? :h:
Original post by Jhansen23
Bro.

Go and do suhoor.

Focus on that which will enrich your own life and leave others to theirs.

Ramadhan Kareem!

i dont care what you do by the way im a girl r so dont bro me. thanks just to let you know your either one muslim or gay

Ramadan Mubarak
The amount of homophobia on this thread is too damn high
Original post by Alisa59
Not all people will think that the 'western view' is respectful and humane.

They're not backwards. It's just the way those countries are. Same goes with western countries with their rules and ideology.

They can change, but that needs more decision making for the government and the people of the country. I can think that gay marriage will be impossible in these countries.

All comes down to your opinion btw.

No it does not.

There's no such thing as "it's how they are". When you choose to interfere with someone's life to such an extent, you're in the "backwards" category. End of.

I've already explained the futility of this argument above, so not doing it again.

But overall, it's religious people that will agree with them, as no doubt you are.
(edited 7 years ago)
i dont care what you do by the way im a girl r so dont bro me. thanks just to let you know your either one muslim or gay

Ramadan Mubarak

^Here's living proof of what I'm saying.

The indoctrination is high here by the way.
^Here's living proof of what I'm saying.

The indoctrination is high here by the way.

you what mate? i just finished my English exam now and i think i failed so please can you use simple terms thanks.
you what mate? i just finished my English exam now and i think i failed so please can you use simple terms thanks.

You started an exam at 6.30am? :rolleyes:

In any case, there's no need for you to understand - it'll make no difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Troll

Find a better hobby other than degrading people on a student forum

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending