The Student Room Group

Books to bring Physics up to scratch?

I'm about to start studying at the Open university and wondered if there are any books out there I can read to bring my basic science skills up to scratch? Everything from GCSE level onwards. I just want to be sure my knowledge is up to par.

Thanks in advance :smile:
The CGP revision guides for physics are an absolute God-send :smile: If possible, get the ones that say 'Revision and practice' because answering questions on each topic really helps to aid your understanding.
What's your current level of study?

The OU is very good at bringing people with different educational histories up to speed... but I fancy Tom Duncans Advanced Physics as a self study book for A level knowledge.
User 'Rather-cynical' found a scanned copy online (but there's plenty of second hand paper copies around) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=66226319&highlight=

the biggest stumbling block for a lot of people doing undergraduate physics is the maths required tbh
Original post by mbch1809
I'm about to start studying at the Open university and wondered if there are any books out there I can read to bring my basic science skills up to scratch? Everything from GCSE level onwards. I just want to be sure my knowledge is up to par.

Thanks in advance :smile:

I am not sure if GCSE/A-Level books would be of much help. They are, in most of the cases, simply an oversimplification of topics. I would instead recommend calculus based text books at an introductory level. There are many excellent physics textbooks out there.
All you need to do is brush up your maths (calculus, geometry, algebra and trigonometry) as a prerequisite.

-University Physics by Young and Freedman was my first (and current) physics textbook. The concepts are presented at fundamental level.

- Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Mosca and Tipler is also great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks for the reply :smile:

I actually own both of them textbooks. But I meant more in the sense of learning very basic Pysics such as learning about Electrons, Nutrons, etc. Like high school. Just so I know I what i'm reading about when studying physics at a higher level.

Quick Reply

Latest