The Student Room Group

What is the thing you love most about Space?

I'll go first, Kepler-22b is an exoplanet believed to host a global, liquid water, ocean. What I love most about this planet is the exhilarating feeling I get when I think about it. The mere thought of what abomination could lie there waiting for anthropological study fascinates me.

Kepler-22b_versus_Earth.jpg
(edited 7 months ago)
The vast emptiness
I always imagine the loneliness death would be your body continuously floating in space
I love the constellations created by stars!
Original post by BankaiGintoki
The vast emptiness
I always imagine the loneliness death would be your body continuously floating in space

One does not need to be alone to be lonely
The scale of it. The observable univers is 94 billion light year and that probably doesn't even scratch the surface.
Original post by Guru Jason
The scale of it. The observable univers is 94 billion light year and that probably doesn't even scratch the surface.

Does the scale give you a sense of awe or majesty? For me it's the sense of vertigo and mystery that excites me.
Original post by quagmiretoilet
Does the scale give you a sense of awe or majesty? For me it's the sense of vertigo and mystery that excites me.

Agreed, and the fact we we will never see 99.9% of the things still to discover saddens me.
Original post by Guru Jason
Agreed, and the fact we we will never see 99.9% of the things still to discover saddens me.

I don't believe this is necessarily true.
I don't believe this is necessarily true.

Humanity will long be extinct before we discover even a quarter of whats out there and that a real shame
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 9
i'll go first, kepler-22b is an exoplanet believed to host a global, liquid water, ocean. What i love most about this planet is the exhilarating feeling i get when i think about it. The mere thought of what abomination could lie there waiting for anthropological study fascinates me

KEPLER 22b IS MINE

AND HD 189733b!!!
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by .Vvoid.
KEPLER 22b IS MINE

AND HD 189733b!!!

One of my life goals is to explore such a planet lol
Reply 11
One of my life goals is to explore such a planet lol

A bit random but a very good book I have read is called "Science but not as we know it" by Ben Gilliland. It is a book about many things in Physics but has a large section about Space where I learned about such exoplanets and many more things.
I'm sure it is something that you would enjoy reading!
Original post by .Vvoid.
A bit random but a very good book I have read is called "Science but not as we know it" by Ben Gilliland. It is a book about many things in Physics but has a large section about Space where I learned about such exoplanets and many more things.
I'm sure it is something that you would enjoy reading!

Thank you for the recommendation, I have a lot of books at my home that I have yet to read but I shall surely add it to the list!
Reply 13
I know this sounds quite bad, but i hardly care about it at all. I'd rather think about other things.
Original post by gjd800
I know this sounds quite bad, but i hardly care about it at all. I'd rather think about other things.

By all means, it is your prerogative. In the same breath, I am not particularly fond of the field of literature as serious study, but does that necessarily indict those that derive satisfaction from it?
Reply 15
but does that necessarily indict those that derive satisfaction from it?

I am unsure where I implied anything like this.
Original post by gjd800
I am unsure where I implied anything like this.

"I know this sounds quite bad" -- I am just trying to tell you that what you choose to enjoy or study is your own.
Reply 17
"I know this sounds quite bad" -- I am just trying to tell you that what you choose to enjoy or study is your own.

I see - crossed wires.
(edited 7 months ago)
The supermassive black hole at Sagittarius A*, spooky as ****

Quick Reply

Latest