The Student Room Group

How do I get an A* in A-level Physics?

I'm aiming for an A* in A-level Physics. However, I'm still uncertain about how to get an A* which is a bad start. The exam board I'm sitting Physics for is OCR. In class today, another student said there was a practical element in which we would be graded on. My understanding was that there would be a test which would ask questions about the practicals they assume you took part in.

I would appreciate it if someone could help me out, thanks in advance :smile:
If its the same as OCR B chemistry you sit three papers, one of which is a practical skills paper. Then to get an A* you need 90% average over the three
hey im doing ocr physics too!!:smile:
I think what youre n about iste required practicle assesement it basially gives you a certificate to say that ou have the basic lab skillsany science degree needs.there a list of cpac focuses that you need to be able to in order to get the certificate it is not hard stuff and t the end your teacher gives you a pass or fail but usually by the end of two years it would be hard not to fail it. this doesn't go to your final grade

there are also practicle questions in test paper three apparently
hope this helps
Are you on the new spec? I'm on OCR A. The practicals are separate and you either get a pass or a fail. But from the limited number of past exam questions I've seen, there are usually a couple of 5/6 mark questions about describing a method for determining or showing something, usually a practical which could be done in lesson, or else a very similar one is described in the textbook. I'm defo not going to get an A* in physics, we've only done 1 mock and looked at one other past paper and we all failed the mock (though our teacher used his own grade boundaries, so actually 3 of us got Bs and Cs). I need to start some hardcore revision, but with 1 physics teacher in the school I'm not quite sure what he has planned for us as he said he's going to make time to print off stuff for us this half term. So stressful :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Lauren-x-
Are you on the new spec? I'm on OCR A. The practicals are separate and you either get a pass or a fail. But from the limited number of past exam questions I've seen, there are usually a couple of 5/6 mark questions about describing a method for determining or showing something, usually a practical which could be done in lesson, or else a very similar one is described in the textbook. I'm defo not going to get an A* in physics, we've only done 1 mock and looked at one other past paper and we all failed the mock (though our teacher used his own grade boundaries, so actually 3 of us got Bs and Cs). I need to start some hardcore revision, but with 1 physics teacher in the school I'm not quite sure what he has planned for us as he said he's going to make time to print off stuff for us this half term. So stressful :tongue:

Don't be discouraged by 1 mock. I was in a similar/worst situation to you last year. In my Maths and Further maths mock, I achieved an A in C1 and a U in every other module. In the real thing, I achieved 94 UMS in C1 and 100 in every other module. The reason I achieved those grades was because I work really hard throughout the year.

In regards to Physics, are you saying that the pass/fail has no impact on your final grade? So, if I failed the practical, I could still achieve an A*?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Naruke
Don't be discouraged by 1 mock. I was in a similar/worst situation to you last year. In my Maths and Further maths mock, I achieved an A in C1 and a U in every other module. In the real thing, I achieved 94 UMS in C1 and 100 in every other module. The reason I achieved those grades was because I work really hard throughout the year.

In regards to Physics, are you saying that the pass/fail has no impact on your final grade? So, if I failed the practical, I could still achieve an A*?

Thats true. However most uni's also ask for a pass in the practical element in their offer, so if you fail that you have missed your offer.
Reply 6
Original post by HopelessMedic
Thats true. However most uni's also ask for a pass in the practical element in their offer, so if you fail that you have missed your offer.

Does this depend on the course though?

Also, who will decide whether I pass or fail the practical?
Original post by Naruke

Yes, that's true! Though from the 2 unis I've got offers from so far (Warwick and Leeds), they've specified that they want a pass in the practical exams.

And thank you, I'm just not feeling confident about physics at all considering we were taught half of it by a chemistry teacher who didn't know most of the physics, so he just told us to read the textbook and watch physics youtube videos haha! But hard work does pay off, and you've done really well!! :smile: I just need to get my butt in-gear and do more independent stuff (I have a quizlet page of physics chapters and we have to do essays as independent study). Now I need to tackle more exam questions!
Reply 8
Yes, that's true! Though from the 2 unis I've got offers from so far (Warwick and Leeds), they've specified that they want a pass in the practical exams.

And thank you, I'm just not feeling confident about physics at all considering we were taught half of it by a chemistry teacher who didn't know most of the physics, so he just told us to read the textbook and watch physics youtube videos haha! But hard work does pay off, and you've done really well!! :smile: I just need to get my butt in-gear and do more independent stuff (I have a quizlet page of physics chapters and we have to do essays as independent study). Now I need to tackle more exam questions!

Haha! I'm in exactly the same situation as you. One of my Physics teachers is a Chemistry teacher and has a degree in Chemistry. Mine doesn't have a clue what he's doing either, so we are in the same boat. I've found the official textbooks quite helpful though, the summary questions do sometimes provide a good challenge.
Original post by Naruke
Haha! I'm in exactly the same situation as you. One of my Physics teachers is a Chemistry teacher and has a degree in Chemistry. Mine doesn't have a clue what he's doing either, so we are in the same boat. I've found the official textbooks quite helpful though, the summary questions do sometimes provide a good challenge.

My actual physics teacher never uses the textbooks in our lessons as he says they're awful, so he uses his own powerpoints instead. Though when I've looked back through the book in my own time, it makes a lot more sense haha. He's kinda teaching us the knowledge, but none of us know how to approach any questions or apply that knowledge. It's going to be a fun year! :biggrin:

So are you on OCR A?
Reply 10
My actual physics teacher never uses the textbooks in our lessons as he says they're awful, so he uses his own powerpoints instead. Though when I've looked back through the book in my own time, it makes a lot more sense haha. He's kinda teaching us the knowledge, but none of us know how to approach any questions or apply that knowledge. It's going to be a fun year! :biggrin:

So are you on OCR A?

Yes, I am! :smile:
Original post by Naruke
Yes, I am! :smile:

Awesome! I'll send you the link to my physics quizlet if you want. I've made the questions and answers up myself, so they're not great haha
Hi, I’m in sort of the same situation and really want to get an A or A* in maths and physics, what sort of things did you do which helped? Do you have any advice to give?

Quick Reply

Latest