The Student Room Group

Is it better to risk failing my required subjects or not do my favourite subject?

Basically I am currently considering medicine, so obviously I need biology and chemistry and at least AAA. However my favourite subject is physics and I want to do that but colleges are saying if I do physics I have to do maths as well. I don't know how good I would be at four a-levels, especially since I've been told one a-level is more work than all of your GCSEs combined. I know I can get very high grades in both physics and maths, but it might cause me to slip on biology and chemistry. Then if I do 3 a-levels and don't do physics I feel like it might depress me because I love physics and I want to study it more (especially now since we're not doing any more new learning and just doing paper 2 revision). What do you guys think?
you don't have to do physics if you do maths, it's just that the mechanics section of maths is also covered in physics, so it makes the workload a little lighter and vice versa. i recommend doing at least one subject that you really like though.
Reply 2
Original post by via16
Basically I am currently considering medicine, so obviously I need biology and chemistry and at least AAA. However my favourite subject is physics and I want to do that but colleges are saying if I do physics I have to do maths as well. I don't know how good I would be at four a-levels, especially since I've been told one a-level is more work than all of your GCSEs combined. I know I can get very high grades in both physics and maths, but it might cause me to slip on biology and chemistry. Then if I do 3 a-levels and don't do physics I feel like it might depress me because I love physics and I want to study it more (especially now since we're not doing any more new learning and just doing paper 2 revision). What do you guys think?

you absolutely don’t have to do maths they are lying to you. I definitely say do physics alongside bio and chem as a levels can definitely get depressing especially if you don’t enjoy it
Reply 3
if you’re applying to medicine at uni then you absolutely do not need to do maths as well. these colleges might be saying that as physics and maths SLIGHTLY overlap in mechanics, so it makes it a bit easier but if you work hard and you enjoy physics there’s no reason why you wouldn’t be able to take it without maths

Quick Reply

Latest