The Student Room Group

Physics degree without maths alevel?

Hello, I take biology, chemistry and physics at alevel. does anyone know of any physics undergraduate courses i could do?
Original post by sp4ce1nvad3r
Hello, I take biology, chemistry and physics at alevel. does anyone know of any physics undergraduate courses i could do?

How about:

Physics BSc (Hons) at University of Kent: "ABB, including A level Mathematics or Physics at B" (details)

Physics BSc (Hons) Foundation Entry at University of Central Lancashire: "UCAS: 64 points including 32 from A Level or AS Level Maths or Physics" (details)

BSc/MPhys Physics with an Integrated Foundation Year at University of Manchester: "ABB, where a student has two relevant subjects." ... "The subjects considered to be relevant are Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Statistics, and Computer Science. (details)

Hi @sp4ce1nvad3r,

How are you? :smile:

It's great to hear that you are interested in studying Physics at University!

Here at the University of Central Lancashire we do offer Physics courses at undergraduate level. Let me tell you a bit more about studying Physics at UCLan:

- Our students benefit from learning in state-of-the-art physics teaching laboratories
- Our Alston Observatory is one of the largest teaching observatories with £200,000 recent investment in the most powerful modern telescope available in the UK
- Physics and Astronomy is ranked 2nd in the North West for student satisfaction (Complete University Guide, 2024)
- We are proud to have a broad range of UCLan Physics graduates working at high profile businesses such as BAE and NASA.

If this sounds like something you are interested in then you can discover all of our Physics courses here.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'd be more than happy to help. :smile:

All the best,
Sarah
Hey, how are you doing in physics without taking maths a level? Im struggling so I was wondering if you’re in a similar disadvantaged position, or if my maths skills just need more attention.
Reply 4
Original post by goldenthread
Hey, how are you doing in physics without taking maths a level? Im struggling so I was wondering if you’re in a similar disadvantaged position, or if my maths skills just need more attention.
i’m struggling quite a bit in this same situation too
Original post by lulalula
i’m struggling quite a bit in this same situation too
Hey! Since i wrote that post ive talked to some of my teachers and they have given me some tips.
1) be confident in the very few maths skills that are present in the course:
You must have done pretty well in your math GCSE for them to allow you to do physics a level. Channel that confidence for the maths in the physics a level. Realistically, the maths on the course is very simple compared to actual maths a level, so if you get the idea that you’re not good at maths out of your head you will move forward.
2) practice a ton of questions all the time:
You will probably forget topics if you do one question on them and then never look at them for at least a month. You need to constantly be doing a mix of questions from different topics.
3) enjoy the process:
You will probs never do physics again, maybe you will idk, but just enjoy it! Enjoy the improvement process and believe in yourself :smile: hope this was helpful
Reply 6
Hey! Since i wrote that post ive talked to some of my teachers and they have given me some tips.
1) be confident in the very few maths skills that are present in the course:
You must have done pretty well in your math GCSE for them to allow you to do physics a level. Channel that confidence for the maths in the physics a level. Realistically, the maths on the course is very simple compared to actual maths a level, so if you get the idea that you’re not good at maths out of your head you will move forward.
2) practice a ton of questions all the time:
You will probably forget topics if you do one question on them and then never look at them for at least a month. You need to constantly be doing a mix of questions from different topics.
3) enjoy the process:
You will probs never do physics again, maybe you will idk, but just enjoy it! Enjoy the improvement process and believe in yourself :smile: hope this was helpful
this is super helpful honestly thankyou so much!!! i’m quite stressed as i do want to continue doing physics in uni which means i have to do a foundation year due to not doing maths but im not sure how ill get by
Lots of physics degrees available with a foundation year e.g. Southampton, Birmingham, Manchester etc.

Note physics at degree level is necessarily mathematical using A-level Maths and beyond every day. So you need to be comfortable learning and using advanced maths topics constantly.
this is super helpful honestly thankyou so much!!! i’m quite stressed as i do want to continue doing physics in uni which means i have to do a foundation year due to not doing maths but im not sure how ill get by
do you mind me asking why you didn’t choose maths a level? did you just realise you wanted to do physics in uni or did u always want to do it?
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
Lots of physics degrees available with a foundation year e.g. Southampton, Birmingham, Manchester etc.
Note physics at degree level is necessarily mathematical using A-level Maths and beyond every day. So you need to be comfortable learning and using advanced maths topics constantly.
would you recommend waiting before going to do my foundation year and paying to do a level maths?
do you mind me asking why you didn’t choose maths a level? did you just realise you wanted to do physics in uni or did u always want to do it?
it was mostly lack of confidence that i’d manage. i was set on medicine for most of my life until about a MONTH before i enrolled and i completely changed my mind onto physics as nothing interests me more i don’t want to spend my life doing anything but physics tbf and now im suffering the repercussions 😅
would you recommend waiting before going to do my foundation year and paying to do a level maths?
Well the point of a foundation year is that it covers the A-level Maths/FM content you need. However foundation years are generally non transferable and so if you aren't sure which uni you want to go to, taking A-level Maths (and possibly FM) during a gap year will give you more options potentially.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending