The Student Room Group

worried about a-level choices

I’m in year 11, I’m about to submit my a-level choices and I’m scared of making the wrong decision (I’ve been set on my options for a while but gcse stress is making me anxious).

The subjects I want to take are maths, physics and psychology.

I love physics and my grades are good so it’s the only option I’m 100% sure about.

I’ve never studied psychology before but I’m very interested in it and my mum did it at a level and uni so we talk about it a lot.

Maths is my main worry. I enjoy it a lot more than most other subjects and I’m interested in it, but I usually get 7s (which sounds high, but it’s low compared to most of my other grades, and by my school’s standards) and I take further maths and I get 6s. I also have motivation issues that make it difficult to do a lot of homework and practice outside of school but I can work well in free periods in school, so I’m worried I won’t be able to cope with the workload.

I don’t really know what I want to do at university. I’m hoping to do something psychology related (depending on how it goes at a-level). I’m more interested in sciences than humanities but I struggle with certain aspects such as practical work, so most sciences aren’t a good fit for me.

Does anyone have any advice, particularly about maths at a-level?
(Original post by turquoisekoala)I’m in year 11, I’m about to submit my a-level choices and I’m scared of making the wrong decision (I’ve been set on my options for a while but gcse stress is making me anxious).

I love physics and my grades are good so it’s the only option I’m 100% sure about.

I’ve never studied psychology before but I’m very interested in it and my mum did it at a level and uni so we talk about it a lot.

Maths is my main worry. I enjoy it a lot more than most other subjects and I’m interested in it, but I usually get 7s (which sounds high, but it’s low compared to most of my other grades, and by my school’s standards) and I take further maths and I get 6s. I also have motivation issues that make it difficult to do a lot of homework and practice outside of school but I can work well in free periods in school, so I’m worried I won’t be able to cope with the workload.

I don’t really know what I want to do at university. I’m hoping to do something psychology related (depending on how it goes at a-level). I’m more interested in sciences than humanities but I struggle with certain aspects such as practical work, so most sciences aren’t a good fit for me.

Original post by turquoisekoala
I’m in year 11, I’m about to submit my a-level choices and I’m scared of making the wrong decision (I’ve been set on my options for a while but gcse stress is making me anxious).

Hi, I'm a year 2 A-level maths student here!

First piece of advice I'd like to offer is do not pick your A-levels based on how good you did at GCSE's. I can assure you that a lot of the GCSE content you learn is very different to A-levels. A better way to try and decide to look at the specifications of the courses you may be interested in and also think about what you'd like to do at uni. Some uni courses require you to have a certain subject so you'll need to research on that.
I know that you mentioned you are confident with physics and also as someone who loved GCSE physics, it may be something you need to reconsider if maths is not your strong point. A lot of maths in GCSE physics is quite basic and nothing complicated, however A-level physics is on another level. Many students who take Physics will usually take both maths and further maths so this may disadvantage you in your class however, I know many people who have taken just single maths with Physics and they are just about coping.
At least for my sixth form, but you may need to ask your school about if you also are required to take a-level maths with a-level physics as this is usually the case due to the amount of maths involved. I suggest you do a bit more research about A-level physics (pls don't base it off GCSEs!!)
As for A-level maths, I will start off by stating it will probably be 'easier' than A-level physics. I also was not a fan of GCSE maths and it was the only subject that I got an 8 in (predicted as it was 2021) so I was discouraged to take it at A-level too. However, also depending on your sixth form teachers, I found it far more organised and easier to understand under Edexcel. Many unis favour a-level maths students and gives you many advantages of being competitive. However, it would still be up to you to receive a good grade. I wouldn't say A-level maths is 'hard' but it may become hard if you fall behind. There is a reason why many students say A-levels is far more rigorous than GCSEs even though you're only studying 3 subjects. Many people fall into the trap as the beginning of the maths course is very basic and covers mostly GCSE stuff to get everyone on track. This usually deceives people into thinking its easier than they thought and fall behind on homework and just understanding a topic on a whole. You wont find it hard if you persevere which means you would need to stay on top of the work and even better by reading ahead and practising the next topic before your class does. This means that you'll probably be most of your time doing exam questions which can put your other subjects at risk as they wont receive the same love and care (same for physics).
A-levels will require that you improve your motivation as it will need a lot of study time outside classes so not having the motivation to do homework and be on track may become a problem, including physics too.
Ultimately, maths is rigorous and requires a lot of your time and dedication and if you don't give it that, then you will start to find things 'hard'.

My main piece of advice is don't try stick to just those 3 subjects, I made the same mistake when I was at the end of Y11 and was very determined with my initial subject choices which didn't include maths btw. My initial uni ambition was to study business however I still changed my subjects in which I swapped one out for maths and it was a great decision because a couple months later I realised I wanted to do economics at uni instead which requires you to take A-level maths!
So definitely do a bit more research around your uni ambitions and when you do enrol to sixth form, possibly ask if you can trial some subjects by sitting in some classes to get a feel of them- again don't base it entirely off a few lessons as they will be the easiest lessons out of your 2 years of alevel.
Good luck :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi! I would say by the sounds of it, Physics is a definite for you. Then Psychology seems like a new challenge that you're excited about and makes sense with potentially wanting to study it at uni.
For Maths, the jump up from GCSE to A Level is quite a lot. People who get 9's at GCSE will sometimes end up with a C at A Level just because it's so much harder. I would say consider any other options, as you love the other two so much that it would be a shame to end up hating it and feeling unmotivated.
Also speak to your college and see if you can start with 4 A Levels then drop whichever one you don't like most after the first few weeks. I did this with Photography and Spanish and ended up doing Spanish and dropping Photography. This might be a way for you to try it, and something else, without committing to it at first and so you don't stress now while you're doing your GCSE's.

Quick Reply

Latest