The Student Room Group

Can you do Product design / engineering without Maths and Physics ?

For one of the school I choose, the A levels they recommended me to do were :
Product Design
Math Studies
Geography
Psychology

This is because I didn't get the grades for maths and they wouldn't let me do physics on its own either.
So would I still be able to do product design and engineering in university ?

Thank you for the help
Original post by Anonymous
Product Design
Math Studies
Geography
Psychology

This is because I didn't get the grades for maths and they wouldn't let me do physics on its own either.

Thank you for the help

Is Maths studies Core Maths or what? I suspect you'd need to do a Foundation year for Engineering.

https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/engineering-and-technology
Original post by Muttley79
Is Maths studies Core Maths or what? I suspect you'd need to do a Foundation year for Engineering.

https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/engineering-and-technology

It's a Level 3 mathematical studies (Core Maths).
I'm asking to know if unis can still accept this.
It's a Level 3 mathematical studies (Core Maths).
I'm asking to know if unis can still accept this.

It's not an A level - it's equivalent to AS. To do Engineering you'll need a Foundation year.
Product Design
Math Studies
Geography
Psychology

Thank you for the help

Hi,

If what you're asking is, can you do Product Design at Uni without maths or physics...

I do Product Design at Loughborough University, which probably has the best reputation of any design school in the UK. I didn't do Maths or Physics - so the answer is yes.

___

If what you're asking is, can you do Product Design at a particular Uni you're looking at...

I'm not sure what Uni you're applying to, but you should ask their design department admissions team... In my eyes, pick A' Levels that you enjoy and are good at, not A Levels some uni want you to get - no point in you hating your school life for 2 years just for some institution that either will or will not accept you. Besides, people do worse in A Levels that they hate than ones they love... Fact.
Hi,

If what you're asking is, can you do Product Design at Uni without maths or physics...

I do Product Design at Loughborough University, which probably has the best reputation of any design school in the UK. I didn't do Maths or Physics - so the answer is yes.

___

If what you're asking is, can you do Product Design at a particular Uni you're looking at...

I'm not sure what Uni you're applying to, but you should ask their design department admissions team... In my eyes, pick A' Levels that you enjoy and are good at, not A Levels some uni want you to get - no point in you hating your school life for 2 years just for some institution that either will or will not accept you. Besides, people do worse in A Levels that they hate than ones they love... Fact.

Thank you for your response
Original post by Muttley79
It's not an A level - it's equivalent to AS. To do Engineering you'll need a Foundation year.

Thank you for your response too !!
Reply 7
Hi,

___

hey, you actually seem to be doing exactly what I wish to study in the future- product design at loughborough (want to congratulate you quickly, I've heard its really difficult), just wanted to ask a couple questions. What did you take for alevels seeing you didn't do maths or physics and still got in? Im in year 12 right now studying physics, product design and art. Ive been thinking of adding maths as a fourth because it widens my choices for the future but I hate maths, do you still think I should do it? I also wanted to ask how studying product design at loughborough is right now, do you find it fun? Also, was there anything you did to increase your chances of getting in? If you don't mind sharing, how were your grades. Last thing is did you have to do an AS level? I picked finance instead of maths as an AS but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Please do get back to me, thanks!
Original post by Davina.ek
hey, you actually seem to be doing exactly what I wish to study in the future- product design at loughborough (want to congratulate you quickly, I've heard its really difficult), just wanted to ask a couple questions. What did you take for alevels seeing you didn't do maths or physics and still got in? Im in year 12 right now studying physics, product design and art. Ive been thinking of adding maths as a fourth because it widens my choices for the future but I hate maths, do you still think I should do it? I also wanted to ask how studying product design at loughborough is right now, do you find it fun? Also, was there anything you did to increase your chances of getting in? If you don't mind sharing, how were your grades. Last thing is did you have to do an AS level? I picked finance instead of maths as an AS but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Please do get back to me, thanks!

I think you need to be careful here. I'm not sure how it is now, but before Loughborough used to offer two "Product Design" courses... that sound similar but are in fact completely different.

Industrial Design & Technology:- Focuses more on the aesthetic and ergonomic design elements of a product. This focuses more on the creative side of things and you'll probably end up with a full design portfolio, as well as valuable experience using CAD packages to render design. Depending on the modules chosen, you'll end up with either a BA or a BSc. There was also an option to do it with education, if you wanted to teach.

Product Design & Manufacture:- This is more on the engineering side (e.g. the calculations, the "nuts and bolts" as well as materials and manufacturing processes). ... so a decent "A" level maths grade is a must-have (physics is also useful, but I don't think it's essential). Although it's called "Design", it's actually closer to traditional Engineering and falls under the Mechanical Engineering faculty. Upon graduation, you'll get a B Eng (this is considered superior to a BSc)
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Old Skool Freak
I think you need to be careful here. I'm not sure how it is now, but before Loughborough used to offer two "Product Design" courses... that sound similar but are in fact completely different.

Industrial Design & Technology:- Focuses more on the aesthetic and ergonomic design elements of a product. This focuses more on the creative side of things and you'll probably end up with a full design portfolio, as well as valuable experience using CAD packages to render design. Depending on the modules chosen, you'll end up with either a BA or a BSc. There was also an option to do it with education, if you wanted to teach.

Product Design & Manufacture:- This is more on the engineering side (e.g. the calculations, the "nuts and bolts" as well as materials and manufacturing processes). ... so a decent "A" level maths grade is a must-have (physics is also useful, but I don't think it's essential). Although it's called "Design", it's actually closer to traditional Engineering and falls under the Mechanical Engineering faculty. Upon graduation, you'll get a B Eng (this is considered superior to a BSc)

There is also Product Design Engineering at Loughborough

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/product-design-engineering-beng/

This definitly requires Maths and either Design and Technology, Engineering or Physics. The maths is the same as the mech-eng class get so no corner cutting.
Original post by Mr Wednesday
There is also Product Design Engineering at Loughborough

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/product-design-engineering-beng/

This definitly requires Maths and either Design and Technology, Engineering or Physics. The maths is the same as the mech-eng class get so no corner cutting.

It's probably the new / updated name of the Product Design and Manufacture course I mentioned
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi,

___

Hi i'm applying for product design and technology at Loughborough. I study product design at A-levels, however I didn't pick any maths, physics or computer science. Could I still be considered?
Original post by Confusion.coll
Hi i'm applying for product design and technology at Loughborough. I study product design at A-levels, however I didn't pick any maths, physics or computer science. Could I still be considered?

Hi,

Please see my first post in this thread, as there are two "Design" courses at Lufbra, and while the names are similar, the content is completely different. One focuses on the creative side of things, while the other is more fundamentally engineering with a bit of design.

The Industrial Design & Technology course won't have as strict pre-requisites, but I know it's a very popular course with people in general, while the Product Design required a decent Maths A level grade (Physics would help, but not essential).

Either way, you'll need to check with the responsible Admissions officers. IMHO, the very worst case scenario, you'd have to do a foundation year before you can start the course (you can do this at Loughborough as well)

Quick Reply

Latest