The Student Room Group

Should immigrants learn english?

I dont want to sound racist, as most immigrants are fine- they get jobs and work hard, learn english etc. I even work with quite a few of them in one of my jobs and they are great.
But ive noticed that quite a few immigrants havent learnt english (or if they have they only know the odd words). And they dont even seem to want to learn either. It leaves me to wonder how they are going to get on in this country if they dont learn the language. If we went to live in a different country we would be expected to learn at least a basic level of their language.
Should immigrants be made to learn english (if they havent already)?

Scroll to see replies

not really, nothing is stopping me from inventing my own language and using that, or using Latin or something to talk to people in my own little group. we shouldn't make restrictions on individual liberty, also, the only thing they need to do is pay taxes like everyone else and there are no problems, they are contributing to the society as much as anyone else.

furthermore Welsh, Scottish Gaelic and Cornish are the only native languages, so we'd be better off teaching one of them if anything
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
No, but equally we shouldnt be required to translate anything for them. If they cannot understand legal forms then they should pay for private translators.
If they are seeking employment, then yes. Otherwise they'll really struggle. If not, then they should be no more expected to learn English than Brits moving to Spain or France should learn Spanish or French.
Original post by Reue
No, but equally we shouldnt be required to translate anything for them. If they cannot understand legal forms then they should pay for private translators.

I agree with you on a huge range of things I must say. I don't buy in to all this collectivist nonsense I see on here. Nobody should be obliged to speak English, but it's not the job of the taxpayer to provide tuition either.
There should be no necessity to learn English when you move to the U.K., but I don't see why you wouldn't at least try to learn the language spoken by most people in the country you are moving to.
Original post by Emma:-)
I dont want to sound racist

ees nice try but so sorry fail.
Far as I am concerned, if you want to live in whichever country, then you should learn the language.
Absolutely they should.

I think it's disgustingly rude when people speak in other languages also in public i could speak in Swedish in public but i know some people find foreign languages intimidating and alienating.

Learn English at your expense.
Original post by cambio wechsel
ees nice try but so sorry fail.

Im not racist. I work with a lot of foreign people in one of my jobs and most of them are great. My point was that if you are moving over here to get a job etc then how are you going to get on if you dont speak a word of engilsh.
Plus if you are moving to a country, i dont know why you wouldnt at least try and learn some of the language.
The supermarket I work at is in a rather 'run-down' area with lots of immigrant families. Lots of them have a terrible grasp at English and it makes doing my job a whole lot harder. Customers can be horrible at the best of times, but customers ranting at you in broken English or badging you over and over for something when you literally don't have a clue what they're saying?
In my opinion, people who can't speak English or another UK language fluently should not be allowed residence in the country.
Are you referring to immigrants from all the countries in the world or any specific ones?
I don't mind requiring immigrants to learn English if we impose the same thing on the 2 million English migrants around the world none of whome bother to learn the local lingo....

This English culture of double standards has always fascinated me....and I dont mean to be racist here but it seems to be that you people are very good at becoming offended by things in other people that you people do yourselves. things that you people are world renowned for....

Go to the Emirates. There are probably more English living there than Emiratie people.....and try to find a single English person who's learned Arabic...You would die before you found one that's bothered to learn the local language and you are whinging about not all immigrant learning your language when they come to Britain? practice what you preach.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CookieButter
I don't mind requiring immigrant to learn english if we impose the same thing on the 2 million English migrants around the world none of whome bother to learn the local lingo....

This english culture of double standards has always fascinated me....and I dont mean to be racist here but it seems to be that you people become offended by things that you people are world renowned for....

Go to the emirates. There are probably more English living there than Emiratie people.....and try to find a single English person who's learned Arabic...You would die before you found one that's bothered to learn the local language and you are whinging about not all immigrant learning your language? practice what you preach.

If only I could give you more reps, I would.
Original post by stoltguyboo
I think it's disgustingly rude when people speak in other languages also in public i could speak in Swedish in public but i know some people find foreign languages intimidating and alienating.

If you find someone speaking a foreign language intimidating you need to get out more.
Original post by george_c00per
If you find someone speaking a foreign language intimidating you need to get out more.

I don't at all but don't you think that some people do?

Get a grip.
Original post by CookieButter
I don't mind requiring immigrants to learn English if we impose the same thing on the 2 million English migrants around the world none of whome bother to learn the local lingo....

This English culture of double standards has always fascinated me....and I dont mean to be racist here but it seems to be that you people are very good at becoming offended by things that you people do yourselves. things that you people are world renowned for....

Go to the Emirates. There are probably more English living there than Emiratie people.....and try to find a single English person who's learned Arabic...You would die before you found one that's bothered to learn the local language and you are whinging about not all immigrant learning your language when they come to Britain? practice what you preach.

This. I find English speakers abroad to be some of the most self-entitled people around.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by george_c00per
This. I find English people abroad to be some of the most self-entitled people around.

Try yanks.
If they're living here for a long period of time, yes.

But it goes both ways. Cause the amount of moronic far-right losers who spout the "er ma gud they must speek englishh!!!1!!!" rhetoric won't learn a language if they move abroad; it's very hypocritical.

If you need a good example, see Nigel Farage who is uncapable of speaking any foreign language despite having lived in Belgium.
Reply 19
Original post by Emma:-)
I dont want to sound racist, as most immigrants are fine- they get jobs and work hard, learn english etc. I even work with quite a few of them in one of my jobs and they are great.
But ive noticed that quite a few immigrants havent learnt english (or if they have they only know the odd words). And they dont even seem to want to learn either. It leaves me to wonder how they are going to get on in this country if they dont learn the language. If we went to live in a different country we would be expected to learn at least a basic level of their language.
Should immigrants be made to learn english (if they havent already)?

Yes of course. You should learn the language of the country you are living in. Applies to immigrants of all nationalities including Brits abroad.

There should maybe be free classes for them though because several might not be able to afford it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending