The Student Room Group

Is child support for unwanted pregnancies unfair on men

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nottie
Whys that?

Same arguments you just put forward. If you agree to sex you should accept the consequences.
Original post by Nottie
Whys that?

Because women should take responsibility for their actions. They made their choice when they had sex, if they didn't want to get pregnant then they shouldn't have had sex. You yourself literally just used this argument.
Reply 22
Original post by limetang
So, your first point is fantastic advice for today where the laws are what they are with respect to pregnancy, child support etc. The point of OP and others is simply that the laws should be different. The variety of options is substantially greater than what a man has, which is the condom and it's relatively high failure rate. And I'd rather be a woman who can control if and when she has a child and who has the practical and legal means to stop that.

The law won't be different since it takes two to make a child so why only one should be held accountable?
Abortion is not an easy thing for most women. Even if you don't believe it's a murder, it's still a difficult decision and a mental burden on you.

So to summarise, law won't change and if you don't want to become a father just don't have sex. Simple. Same thing applies to women
Original post by Nottie
Sex leads to pregnancy. No precaution can fully prevent that. You agree to sex, you accept the consequences.
Don't sleep around if you don't want the risk

So you're saying people who don't want kids should stay virgins their entire life?
Original post by Nottie
The law won't be different since it takes two to make a child so why only one should be held accountable?
Abortion is not an easy thing for most women. Even if you don't believe it's a murder, it's still a difficult decision and a mental burden on you.

So to summarise, law won't change and if you don't want to become a father just don't have sex. Simple. Same thing applies to women

It BLATANTLY doesn't.
Original post by cbreef
So you're saying people who don't want kids should stay virgins their entire life?

Unless they're female, because reasons.
Original post by Nottie
Sex leads to pregnancy. No precaution can fully prevent that. You agree to sex, you accept the consequences.
Don't sleep around if you don't want the risk

A woman has no risk though, she can have an abortion or can give the baby up for adoption.
Reply 27
Original post by cbreef

No. I'm saying they should have sex with like minded individuals.
Not all women want kids, especially when they are young.
Reply 28
Original post by Nottie

So women can have sex then have a choice, but men can't, they are forced with financial consequences. Doesn't sound fair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Thrift2017
So women can have sex then have a choice, but men can't, they are forced with financial consequences. Doesn't sound fair.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Men have a choice when they decide to have sex with someone. If you are re stupid enough not to find out what the woman is up to in terms of abortion then it's your own fault.
Original post by Nottie

That's not what you posted. You said you shouldn't sleep around if you don't want kids, so that for someone who doesn't want to be a father equals no sex ever.
Reply 31
Original post by Nottie
Men have a choice when they decide to have sex with someone. If you are re stupid enough not to find out what the woman is up to in terms of abortion then it's your own fault.

Really? Why don't you put yourself in the mans position. You have zero control over it. You may only find out if the woman tells you what she is "up to" in terms of abortion. And how does it help to find out if she decides to have the kid and you don't want it? How would that be your fault?

Like I said in my OP only when women have a man close to them in this situation do they decide to freak out. Rights have not been assigned fairly here and as usual it's just the PC "whites need to pay". "Men should be responsible" yet unequal while women are equal rhetoric.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by cbreef
That's not what you posted. You said you shouldn't sleep around if you don't want kids, so that for someone who doesn't want to be a father equals no sex ever.

There's a difference between Friday night sex with a girl you just met and sex with someone you know or are in relationships with.
Original post by Nottie
There's a difference between Friday night sex with a girl you just met and sex with someone you know or are in relationships with.

And...?
Reply 34
Original post by cbreef
And...?

You must be very far left wing if you don't understand this.
Hook up with randomers = risk of impregnating someone who believes abortion is bad/want to have kids
Sex with someone you know = ability to make a decision knowing their way of thinking on the matters of pregnancy, children and abortion
Original post by Thrift2017
We start this debate off with two presumptions. The first one, a favourite of the liberal left: abortion is moral and available. The second is that everyone needs a sex lite which is why the LGBTQQIA need to be catered for.

If a guy has a one off sexual encounter with a woman. He takes precautions but she still becomes pregnant, he asks her to have an abortion but she refuses. Should he be forced through state violence to pay child support for his entire adult life?

Is this persecution of heterosexual men? I did some research into this and read some web BBS, many women are very smug about this: he did the deed, he must therefore be responsible, even though they have full decision making power here yet the guy takes full accountability. Accountability without decision making power, it goes against all of our modern values.

I noticed women are smug until a partner of theirs, or brother or close relative or friend gets into this situation and then they panic like hell.

Isn't it time we examine this rights for men issue?

In theory, I think he should be able to have a 'financial abortion' but he has to sign a contract that terminates his parental rights as soon as the child is born, so that if the woman gets a new partner that is willing to father her child, he can become the legal father of that child with equal rights as her and has to therefore contribute financially
Original post by Nottie
You must be very far left wing if you don't understand this.
Hook up with randomers = risk of impregnating someone who believes abortion is bad/want to have kids
Sex with someone you know = ability to make a decision knowing their way of thinking on the matters of pregnancy, children and abortion

No, I get that. But that's not the point. You said if you have sex, you have to accept the consequences, so why the f does it matter who it's with?

As far as I'm concerned: Sleeping around = Sleeping with someone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by cherryred90s
In theory, I think he should be able to have a 'financial abortion' but he has to sign a contract that terminates his parental rights as soon as the child is born, so that if the woman gets a new partner that is willing to father her child, he can become the legal father of that child with equal rights as her and has to therefore contribute financially

Yes but I don't think the state allows this. This is about changing the laws.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nottie

Not all men want kids, especially when they're young
Reply 39
Original post by cbreef
No, I get that. But that's not the point. You said if you have sex, you have to accept the consequences, so why the f does it matter who it's with?

As far as I'm concerned: Sleeping around = Sleeping with someone.

Because people have different ways of handling consequences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending