The Student Room Group

Should women get a day off work for their period?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Craghyrax
:lol: Can you read?

Of course they can. Which is why my first post clearly stated that amendments like this should be in place for any human that is affected by a chronic health problem that can't be cured or improved by lifestyle changes.

#1 reason I barely ever waste my time "debating" on TSR is because (a) nobody reads what other people say, or try to understand what they mean (b) people walk around with really extreme simplistic boxes in their head and go around trying to put other posters into those boxes rather than trying to actually have an open discussion :sigh:

Adios.

If one little question gets you so worked up you probably should stick to not wasting your time here, what on earth is such an aggressive individual doing on the support team?
Original post by liberty cap
...what on earth is such an aggressive individual doing on the support team?

Supporting you in the direction of critical thinking :wink:
Original post by sleepysnooze
HAH. I knew you'd do this.
avoid my very direct question because you can't ****ing answer it
so you've fallen straight into my trap you daft mong
I have given you a comprehensively logical account of the stupidity of this policy and you cannot refute it. why even bother replying if you're just going to end up embarrassing yourself like this?

Why would I read your endless tirade of crap when one of the first sentences in your other post was complete (logical) garbage? Trap? My ass. You do this all the time, I see it in threads I am not involved with either. You always reply with a wall of text, always trying to disguise your bs but I am not buying. You say wrong stuff I won't bother with the rest of your nonsense.
I worked in the summer (and last summer) and *never* took one day off in a situation where I was working 6 days a week, even when I was ill, as I get migraines almost every single month. why can't women do it too? why can't they perform even in conditions of difficulty like basically everybody else? why women and not men? as if men don't also have their own difficulties? just because it's less likely doesn't make it less valid

If you really had migraine, there's no way you'd be able to go to work.

And yes, I do know what I'm talking about. I had them as a teenager for years where all I could do was sleep. I've suffered with them for the last 5 years. I now have to take daily medication (given to people with epilepsy usually) and other medication during an attack.

Thankfully, I don't get the aura any more. I do, however, get the blinding headaches and can't do anything at all.

My periods are a migraine trigger too. Combine the two and there's no way I'd go to work.
Are you doing as much work as the other employees?
Yes >>> Get paid the same as them.
No >>> Don't get paid the same as them.

Seeing as men (and maybe some women) would be working an extra day or three compared to most women, the they would get an extra day or three of pay, which is fair.
@Tiger Rag
I'm sorry about your migraines :sad: I get chronic migraines too. Non aural, and they generally go away with sleep and a codeine + paracetamol combo. But sometimes they don't, and they are unbearable while they last.
Original post by liberty cap
Oh i have thanks, it's kidney stones, some people just get them all the time apparently.

It depends on the severity but some people are doubled over in pain and can barely walk because of pain caused by kidney stones. Such a person would be quite useless if they were to attend work. The same goes for severe period pain.
I don't really count it as 'abuse' for a person to make use of an advantage they are legally entitled to.
As to faking period pain, or lying to a doctor, I'm sure that could happen, but that is a much smaller problem than the suffering that many women have to deal with throughout their lives. If one kid in the class is behaving badly, you don't punish the whole class. There's a lot of research that demonstrates that fraud of this kind is very low. Most humans prefer not to lose progress in the workplace, and fall behind on their responsibilities. And most people prefer to stand on their own two feet and look after themselves than to accept the stigma and visibility that often comes with receiving help. Trust me, if there was anything I could do... in terms of healthy living, sleeping better, treatment, drugs etc to solve the kind of excruciating pain I get from menstruation... I would do it. The only thing that has kept it at bay has been a form of contraception that has a lot of other bad side effects.

I also see a lot of childishness in these threads. People are so selfish and willing to freak out at an 'unfair' advantage, but they won't take two seconds to pause and think about all the unfair advantages that they have in life. It also takes a particular kind of unkindness for people to consider somebody "lucky" because they "get to have the day off". Do these guys think I enjoy being bedridden and hit by insane pain for several hours? Do they think that is more fun than going to work? :eyeball: If anybody thinks that, they have no idea how extreme period pain can actually be.

It makes me sad that many younger users on TSR have bought the media ideology, hook, line and sinker, that there's 'not enough money' to go around. There is way more than enough for everyone, and states can do a great many things that they currently choose not to do in order to afford the cost of things like benefit fraud in order to introduce measures that make up for unusual degrees of misfortune or suffering.

Did you just ignored my post except for the first sentence?!

If I'm sick I can persist my doctor to give me a week off due to my sickness and you know what I can actually pull it off without any fireworks from the HR. This is not because I had excruciating pain or whatsoever it was because I was eligible for such a rather luxurious policy.

You make a valid claim when you say no one wants to fall back on their responsibilities/duties. But in most cases when people are on extended leave, there is an implicit obligation for the absentee's team to take over / cover his roles and responsibilities. Perhaps if you are some sort of waiter who needs to achieve certain targets I can see how this could work. But whatever illness you suffer from isn't going to help you excel in a job if one plans to be absent in a monthly-cyclic theme.

I'm not really calling it as an unfair advantage but rather a hollow suggestion because it can be misused and those who can be eligible, will be looked unfavorably by potential employers... which is not progress when it comes to gender equality in a work place or gender wage-gap etc.

Anyways I can sympathize with your plight if you fee disadvantaged. Controversial perhaps but it is a possibility if I had to work with another random girl things would probably, emotionally anyway, be less of a piece of work.

I'm indifferent towards your last paragraph. You maybe referring to government role or something but I think I agree.

Original post by cherryred90s
It depends on the severity but some people are doubled over in pain and can barely walk because of pain caused by kidney stones. Such a person would be quite useless if they were to attend work. The same goes for severe period pain.

Isn't this what sick leaves are for?
(edited 7 years ago)
Do I get a day off to masturbate?
Original post by yudothis
Why would I read your endless tirade of crap when one of the first sentences in your other post was complete (logical) garbage?

you're saying it was garbage yet logical? I just can't win here can I if I'm being insulted for being logical

Trap? My ass. You do this all the time, I see it in threads I am not involved with either. You always reply with a wall of text, always trying to disguise your bs but I am not buying. You say wrong stuff I won't bother with the rest of your nonsense.

I gave you a full reply because I wasn't going to ignore your questions - but now you're ignoring my answers? can't help you fam
Supporting you in the direction of critical thinking :wink:

Doesn't seem to be your strong point, why are you making this issue which you see as a health issue into something about sex?
No,for those that don't have the extreme pains and yes for those who have the extreme pain (they should have a doctors note).
It can be very painful.I went to school with it and literally for three lessons I was in the medical room curled up and the teacher thought I was lying and being too dramatic.:angry:
Original post by TaintedLight
Did you just ignored my post except for the first sentence?!

If I'm sick I can persist my doctor to give me a week off due to my sickness and you know what I can actually pull it off without any fireworks from the HR. This is not because I had excruciating pain or whatsoever it was because I was eligible for such a rather luxurious policy.

You make a valid claim when you say no one wants to fall back on their responsibilities/duties. But in most cases when people are on extended leave, there is an implicit obligation for the absentee's team to take over / cover his roles and responsibilities. Perhaps if you are some sort of waiter who needs to achieve certain targets I can see how this could work. But whatever illness you suffer from isn't going to help you excel in a job if one plans to be absent in a monthly-cyclic theme.

I'm not really calling it as an unfair advantage but rather a hollow suggestion because it can be misused and those who can be eligible, will be looked unfavorably by potential employers... which is not progress when it comes to gender equality in a work place or gender wage-gap etc.

Anyways I can sympathize with your plight if you fee disadvantaged. Controversial perhaps but it is a possibility if I had to work with another random girl things would probably, emotionally anyway, be less of a piece of work.

I'm indifferent towards your last paragraph. You maybe referring to government role or something but I think I agree.

Isn't this what sick leaves are for?

Yes, but if it's regular pain like the other poster said it was then surely the employer would question why you're taking a day off so regularly.

I do think that it should remain the way it is (take a sick day) but there are people, probably males who say that women should just suck it up as if they have any idea of the pain. Persistently heavy and painful periods are a medical problem and should be treated as such.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tiger Rag

I got threatened with basically being fired if I didn't. so guess what I had to do. although admittedly, on the occasions where I had them, they were early stage migraines - I ended up really taking the brunt of them around the middle of the shifts when they did happen. but that's not to say that I wasn't ill just because they weren't immediate. I still had to work and pretend that I was well. that's life - life isn't always fair. if you have to pay the bills you have to work. if you're sick then sometimes that's simply unhelpable. you might have a boss that is the biggest ******* in the world, as I did. and if it's his business, it's his choice. you can't expect a boss to lose money for nothing - if you're costing the business more money than you're giving to it, then it's sadly (and brutally) logical to fire sick people if they're contributing to that problem. you can't just say "I'm ill, therefore do as I say" - it's not your property so you can't do that. that's completely against freedom of property AND freedom of contract

And yes, I do know what I'm talking about. I had them as a teenager for years where all I could do was sleep. I've suffered with them for the last 5 years. I now have to take daily medication (given to people with epilepsy usually) and other medication during an attack.

Thankfully, I don't get the aura any more. I do, however, get the blinding headaches and can't do anything at all.

I'm not claiming that you don't get migraines? I have full sympathy for fellow migraine sufferers.

My periods are a migraine trigger too. Combine the two and there's no way I'd go to work.

so you're actually talking about migraines. not periods. the PERIOD isn't the problem here. there's no way you're saying that every single time you ever have a period you're basically incapacitated. grow up. I'd accept that periods might be painful sometimes, but comparing them to full migraines is too far. maybe the period makes the migraine more uncomfortable, or vice versa, but how on earth does a period *cause* a migraine?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cherryred90s

Yeah it depends, some stones can pass without being noticed, and others are the worst pain you can imagine, well maybe not the girls , the testicular pain it can cause is particularly nasty.
(edited 7 years ago)

so you're actually talking about migraines. not periods. the PERIOD isn't the problem here. there's no way you're saying that every single time you ever have a period you're basically incapacitated. grow up. I'd accept that periods might be painful sometimes, but comparing them to full migraines is too far. maybe the period makes the migraine more uncomfortable, or vice versa, but how on earth does a period *cause* a migraine?

Fall in level of oestrogen is thought to trigger migraines during a period.

Original post by Toasticide
unless they had like doctor's permission for medical reasons then no. If that was a law it would be abused SO much, and many people leaving work for the day (even if it wasnt abused) isn't exactly good cause some jobs suffer more from shortages of employees than others

exactly this^
and what people ignored when I spoke earlier was that if you give women the means to get paid to not work (in that this is difficult to prove and awkward to even ask for substantiation) then you are necessarily making women less desirable as employees. seeing as men don't get a law like this, they will have to work without having some kind of protection from being fired when they're ill - it will mean that they will have an obviously higher incentive to work instead of not work, meaning the business they're working for will be making more money on average compared to if they were a female employee.

it's just like the minimum wage - if you force, via law, people to have to be paid more than they may actually be worth realistically (i.e. a person without experience), then you are making them not only less employable via their detrimental economic effect on a company, but you are making it harder for them to get ANY job in the first place because the experience barrier to entry is higher than what they might be able to offer without experience. it's the reality of unintended consequences. and if these policies are JUSTIFIED on a consequential basis, then this completely invalidates these two policies
Original post by elen90
Fall in level of oestrogen is thought to trigger migraines during a period.

got proof?

+why make this about periods? why not make this about migraines? surely that is fairer to both genders?
got proof?

+why make this about periods? why not make this about migraines? surely that is fairer to both genders?

Saucy sauce: https://www.migrainetrust.org/about-migraine/trigger-factors/menstruation/

Because periods can trigger migraines. And period pain can be, in and of itself, extremely painful. Incapacitating. A migraine or intense period pain alone is a valid enough reason to miss a day of work, but I can only imagine what it's like for a woman who experiences them in combination.

So, yes, it's still about periods in this context.

If your migraines are awful, I don't deny that you should be accommodated for. This isn't a competition, so why do you feel threatened by this proposal?
Original post by Tiger Rag

Rubbish, migraines are for pussys you should try a cluster headache.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending