The Student Room Group

Should women get a day off work for their period?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yudothis
No, you are the one mentioning so much violence. "This" is clearly the violence you mentioned. The answer to my question is not "men" but "to an incredibly large part it is men themselves".

And wow, you actually have a feminist attitude now - yes, they think society needs to change to make men less violent.

Well done!

...so you're telling me you're a "feminist"...while arguing for a legal inequality between the sexes via this law...imagine my utter *lack* of surprise at your astonishing inconsistency.
No, you are the one mentioning so much violence. "This" is clearly the violence you mentioned. The answer to my question is not "men" but "to an incredibly large part it is men themselves".

And wow, you actually have a feminist attitude now - yes, they think society needs to change to make men less violent.

Well done!

I thought feminism=equality but well done for showing people it is to change men instead
Original post by joecphillips
I thought feminism=equality but well done for showing people it is to change men instead

Learn some reading comprehension. Argument was "society makes men prone to violence". Changing how society stereotypes men and makes them prone to violence is not the same as what you just wrote.

It is always better to actually understand an argument fully before replying, else you just look like a prejudiced fool.
Original post by sleepysnooze
...so you're telling me you're a "feminist"...while arguing for a legal inequality between the sexes via this law...imagine my utter *lack* of surprise at your astonishing inconsistency.

No, removing gender stereotypes is the aim. The thread topic is not about stereotypes. What I wrote to joe counts for you as well. Be sure you fully understand arguments before dismissing them.
No, removing gender stereotypes is the aim. The thread topic is not about stereotypes. What I wrote to joe counts for you as well. Be sure you fully understand arguments before dismissing them.

you want to remove gender stereotypes by stimulating a stereotype that women are not able to do jobs without a free day off each month...? fail.
...you want to remove gender stereotypes through government policy? as if this is cultural engineering from the top down? that's authoritarianism though, isn't it. the government shouldn't control our culture. our culture should control government. rule of the people and all that.

also, how is removing stereotypes by making men and women unequal adhering to the dictionary definition of feminism?
(edited 7 years ago)
Learn some reading comprehension. Argument was "society makes men prone to violence". Changing how society stereotypes men and makes them prone to violence is not the same as what you just wrote.

It is always better to actually understand an argument fully before replying, else you just look like a prejudiced fool.

You said that feminists want to change society to make men change, I suppose that is better than killing all men or putting them in camps like they occasionally call for.
you want to remove gender stereotypes by stimulating a stereotype that women are not able to do jobs without a free day off each month...? fail.
...you want to remove gender stereotypes through government policy? as if this is cultural engineering from the top down? that's authoritarianism though, isn't it. the government shouldn't control our culture. our culture should control government. rule of the people and all that.

also, how is removing stereotypes by making men and women unequal adhering to the dictionary definition of feminism?

Stimulating a stereotype? It's not a stereotype...embarrassing.
Stimulating a stereotype? It's not a stereotype...embarrassing.

you're actually saying women definitely need a day off each month...?
Original post by joecphillips
You said that feminists want to change society to make men change, I suppose that is better than killing all men or putting them in camps like they occasionally call for.

They being a select few extremists?

And yes, that is the aim, are you against that? Are you against less violence?
you're actually saying women definitely need a day off each month...?

I would not in general, as we have sick days. However, taking sick days is seen as a bad thing in career progression so I would be for a solution that circumvents this.
I would not in general, as we have sick days. However, taking sick days is seen as a bad thing in career progression so I would be for a solution that circumvents this.

...haven't we been through this already?
if you give certain groups the means to do less work for the same amount of money, surely that inherently makes them, in general, less profitable to companies?
so to give women a law like this, whereby they have an incentive to take a day off as much as possible to maximize personal utility, necessarily means that the company they work for is making less money through them compared to men? so surely the effect of this is to...hire less women?
it's the law of unintended consequences that you're not accounting for. it's the same effect with things like minimum wages - forcing people to be demanding a higher wage means that less companies are going to want to hire them if they have not enough experience to justify that higher threshold.
...haven't we been through this already?
if you give certain groups the means to do less work for the same amount of money, surely that inherently makes them, in general, less profitable to companies?
so to give women a law like this, whereby they have an incentive to take a day off as much as possible to maximize personal utility, necessarily means that the company they work for is making less money through them compared to men? so surely the effect of this is to...hire less women?
it's the law of unintended consequences that you're not accounting for. it's the same effect with things like minimum wages - forcing people to be demanding a higher wage means that less companies are going to want to hire them if they have not enough experience to justify that higher threshold.

Then they can choose to do so. Next we might look at a person's sickness history before hiring them, no?

And of course you would be happy for workers to be exploited in the name of "profit-maximization".
Then they can choose to do so. Next we might look at a person's sickness history before hiring them, no?

And of course you would be happy for workers to be exploited in the name of "profit-maximization".

The the fact remains women would be getting an extra two weeks paid leave each year compared to their male counterparts. Plus sick days. That won't bode well for female job candidates. And you joke about employers looking into candidates "sickness history," but it is something references can mention if you're taking a lot of time off work.

And what he said concerning wages is true. It's one of the reasons minimum wage is lower for youths in the UK - to make it easier for them to find employment. Employers are reluctant to hire inexperienced burger flippers on $15 and hour, but thry might on $10 an hour. Would you rather have a low-paying job, or no job at all?
Original post by Dandaman1
The the fact remains women would be getting an extra two weeks paid leave each year compared to their male counterparts. Plus sick days. That won't bode well for female job candidates. And you joke about employers looking into candidates "sickness history," but it is something references can mention if you're taking a lot of time off work.

And what he said concerning wages is true. It's one of the reasons minimum wage is lower for youths in the UK - to make it easier for them to find employment. Employers are reluctant to hire inexperienced burger flippers on $15 and hour, but thry might on $10 an hour. Would you rather have a low-paying job, or no job at all?

Because you need years of experience to flip burgers? Lel. Next you are telling me unpaid internships aren't exploitation.
Because you need years of experience to flip burgers? Lel. Next you are telling me unpaid internships aren't exploitation.

It doesn't have to be burger flipping; it can be anything. Employers would rather not have to train and babysit their new employees, especially not on higher wages due to the inefficiency. Lower minimum wages make hiring the young and inexperienced in particular more viable.

Internships are a good way of getting some valuable work experience and they're easier to get if the employer doesn't have to pay you. They're also contracts that are entered into voluntarily. Don't want to work for free? You don't have to. You're essentially doing volunteer work to improve your résumé.
It doesn't have to be burger flipping; it can be anything. Employers would rather not have to train and babysit their new employees, especially not on higher wages due to the inefficiency. Lower minimum wages make hiring the young and inexperienced in particular more viable.

Internships are a good way of getting some valuable work experience and they're easier to get if the employer doesn't have to pay you. They're also contracts that are entered into voluntarily. Don't want to work for free? You don't have to. You're essentially doing volunteer work to improve your résumé.

Yes, because there are so many people. That means the employer can say well, I am offering experience not pay. Getting work for free. That is exploitation.
Yes, because there are so many people. That means the employer can say well, I am offering experience not pay. Getting work for free. That is exploitation.

I don't see the problem with it. Case: a person needs experience and an employer isn't looking to hire someone on a salary. You both enter an agreement voluntarily where you exchange voluntary labour for the experience. Quid pro quo. Call that 'exploitation' if you want, but it's entirely optional and makes it easier for people to get work experience.
I don't see the problem with it. Case: a person needs experience and an employer isn't looking to hire someone on a salary. You both enter an agreement voluntarily where you exchange voluntary labour for the experience. Quid pro quo. Call that 'exploitation' if you want, but it's entirely optional and makes it easier for people to get work experience.

Yea, why would they pay a salary when they can get work done for free? "Not looking to hire someone on a salary". Lel.
Original post by Waiser
Women already have wage gap

can't

Original post by Willy Pete
No. Take a normal sick day if it is that bad.

Original post by Craghyrax
Yes it should, but only for women with doctor's letters confirming that they experience severe pain on periods. I know people who have very mild periods. Others, like me, ended up literally screaming in agony while horizontal with contractions :pinch: In my case I think it's wrong to have to have days like that come out of my holiday and paycheck when I can't help my gender.
The same applies for people with disabilities and chronic illnesses. We can do more to make provisions for them.

Why did this get so many reps? You misused the word "gender." :smug: Everyone has a go about it, I will have a go now:

gender is the psychological identity and sex is the biology. Biology creates periods, not gender :colone:

BEsides that I was just gonna say that one of my exes had to go to ER becauseher period didnt come on for time and then one day random right, she was literally screaming crawling in pain during the cramp thingy. I was terrified like I thought she was pregnant and having a miscarriage but dr says it was cramps and he told her use some menstraul painkillers like everyone else when their **** comes on lol And the same does not apply with disabilities and chronic illnesses because those are chronic...if not terminal. Period cramps aint. Take a sick day like man above said.
Original post by Waiser
I am not sure if you are serious or not, please give a minute to your self and work through the process of pregnancies.

I'd much rather hear from the expert, you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending