The Student Room Group

Should women get a day off work for their period?

Scroll to see replies

Thats why they shouldnt be in the workplace (other than a few hours as a dinner lady) full stop.
Original post by AngloIndoCrew
Thats why they shouldnt be in the workplace (other than a few hours as a dinner lady) full stop.

Lol
Original post by sleepysnooze
honestly? I'd have expected a more genuine question from a TSR community team member...

What it is about the question that bothers you? Just interested in member's opinions and starting a discussion :smile:
Original post by 0to100
can't

Why did this get so many reps? You misused the word "gender." :smug: Everyone has a go about it, I will have a go now:

gender is the psychological identity and sex is the biology. Biology creates periods, not gender :colone:

BEsides that I was just gonna say that one of my exes had to go to ER becauseher period didnt come on for time and then one day random right, she was literally screaming crawling in pain during the cramp thingy. I was terrified like I thought she was pregnant and having a miscarriage but dr says it was cramps and he told her use some menstraul painkillers like everyone else when their **** comes on lol And the same does not apply with disabilities and chronic illnesses because those are chronic...if not terminal. Period cramps aint. Take a sick day like man above said.

How do you define chronic?
Original post by Bright_Gift
I'd much rather hear from the expert, you

Okay, sure. When women are pregnant, it automatically means that most will take shorter shifts and usually stay home for most of her time. As it gets closer to the 6-7 month milestone, most will completely stop work until about 2 months after break. Thats an average of 5 month off work. 2 babies, 10 months of work gone. Thats almost a full year of less experience. It really is important for employees to have as much as experience. Furthermore, in most cases, its the mother that looks after the new born for the majority of the time. This continues until the baby is about 14+ where some mothers divide their responsibilities with her oldest son/daughter. Guess who had to take much shorter shifts in those 14 or so years. Women. Make sense?
In my experience of the world of work there are some people of the feminine persuasion who should be given 28 days off every menstrual cycle. Not just the one. :biggrin:
Original post by astutehirstute
In my experience of the world of work there are some people of the feminine persuasion who should be given 28 days off every menstrual cycle. Not just the one. :biggrin:

Oh that would be lovely
Original post by cherryred90s
Oh that would be lovely

Ha ha ha!
What this thread has failed to appreciate is that sanitary products are not as readily available in Zambia as they are in the West. African women have a variety of methods to deal with the time in the month ranging from wearing lots of pairs of knickers to making reusable cloth pads. However, most of the time they are not totally leak proof and so the ladies want to save themselves the embarrassment of having soiled clothes on show, which is a HUGE deal over there. It's common for kids to not turn up at school on their period for the same reason. So I think it's totally appropriate over there but in the UK we have effective sanitary products readily available and affordable, therefore I think this is much less justified. Surely serious pain (as in enough to get a docs note) should be considered in the same way that any kind of chronic pain is? We don't need specific "period days" in this country.
Sorry, but the word 'feminist' means supporting equality between the genders, not the supremacy of women. Egalitarianism is really just a word for people who are too pussy to use the word 'feminist' because of what people may think of them.

And personally I don't think it needs to be a law. Sure, some women may need the odd day off for it, in which case by all means they should take it, but my periods never been enough of a problem for me so I don't really feel qualified to comment.
Original post by Waiser
Okay, sure. When women are pregnant, it automatically means that most will take shorter shifts and usually stay home for most of her time. As it gets closer to the 6-7 month milestone, most will completely stop work until about 2 months after break. Thats an average of 5 month off work. 2 babies, 10 months of work gone. Thats almost a full year of less experience. It really is important for employees to have as much as experience. Furthermore, in most cases, its the mother that looks after the new born for the majority of the time. This continues until the baby is about 14+ where some mothers divide their responsibilities with her oldest son/daughter. Guess who had to take much shorter shifts in those 14 or so years. Women. Make sense?

Yah man appreciate it
Original post by psychturtle
Sorry, but the word 'feminist' means supporting equality between the genders, not the supremacy of women. Egalitarianism is really just a word for people who are too pussy to use the word 'feminist' because of what people may think of them.

And personally I don't think it needs to be a law. Sure, some women may need the odd day off for it, in which case by all means they should take it, but my periods never been enough of a problem for me so I don't really feel qualified to comment.

No, i disagree with that.
Feminism means "the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes."
Egalitarian means "believing in or based on the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities."

Hence the reason i am not a feminist. If you went back 3 months, i was a feminist, however feminism has gone far too radical in todays society giving it a bad name, hence the reason people no longer use it. Its similar to the word "gay", go back a few decades, the term was originally used to mean "carefree", "happy" however now people use it in a different context. Back then an assumption was made that homosexual people are showy and happy so people started to use the word gay instead. You cant go calling a straight person whose happy "gay" nowadays can you?
(edited 7 years ago)
Only if they have been assessed by a doctor, and have extreme pain, or extremely heavy periods. Otherwise, they need to accept it and get over it, we're going to have periods for a good 40+ years, that adds up to a lot of work (and money) being lost.
Some of you make it sound as if period pain is a choice 😂 To those who aren't aware, dysmenorrhea (which is the extreme pain experienced due to menstruation) comes with an array of other physical symptoms that anyone would take a sick day off for, such as diarrhoea, muscle pain, vomiting, fainting, and sometimes even all of the above. It is to the point where you cannot physically walk due to the mental and physical stress a person experiences during this time.

Do I think women should be given days off specifically for their periods? Absolutely not. Not all women experience this kind of pain. There are many people who are completely unaffected by the whole ordeal, save for the whole inconvenience of it all. However, I do think that women should be able to call in sick without feeling like others are making a mockery out of it. People tend to not take you seriously when they hear the phrase "period pain".
Original post by LaRienne
Some of you make it sound as if period pain is a choice 😂 To those who aren't aware, dysmenorrhea (which is the extreme pain experienced due to menstruation) comes with an array of other physical symptoms that anyone would take a sick day off for, such as diarrhoea, muscle pain, vomiting, fainting, and sometimes even all of the above. It is to the point where you cannot physically walk due to the mental and physical stress a person experiences during this time.

Do I think women should be given days off specifically for their periods? Absolutely not. Not all women experience this kind of pain. There are many people who are completely unaffected by the whole ordeal, save for the whole inconvenience of it all. However, I do think that women should be able to call in sick without feeling like others are making a mockery out of it. People tend to not take you seriously when they hear the phrase "period pain".

I agree. As a person who suffers from diarrhoea, back and muscle pain, vomiting during her period, it just makes everything worse when I'm not taken seriously when I go to the doctors for pain meds. Yes, many women (lucky...) don't suffer any of those symptoms, there are still a lot that do.

Getting periods isn't a choice. We didn't sign up for monthly pains and blood flowing from us. Therefore, it also annoys me a great deal that the tax on pads/tampons are INSANELY high. :colonhash:
Original post by XOR_
Only if men get a day/week off for their periods.

Men don't have periods?
Original post by XOR_
Only if men get a day/week off for their periods.

This is actually a fair point. It may not be as extream, but men do also have a cycle. It would be sexism to give women a day off and not men.
[QUOTE="Yahoogirl;69585872"]I agree. As a person who suffers from diarrhoea, back and muscle pain, vomiting during her period, it just makes everything worse when I'm not taken seriously when I go to the doctors for pain meds. Yes, many women (lucky...) don't suffer any of those symptoms, there are still a lot that do.

Getting periods isn't a choice. We didn't sign up for monthly pains and blood flowing from us. Therefore, it also annoys me a great deal that the tax on pads/tampons are INSANELY high. :colonhash:[/QUOTE

Start taking the pill and go to a sexual health clinic you don't need to even have periods now days
Original post by looloo2134

Start taking the pill and go to a sexual health clinic you don't need to even have periods now days

I really wish this was the case. I'm on the pill and still have periods. And they're longer and more often.
Original post by Tiger Rag
I really wish this was the case. I'm on the pill and still have periods. And they're longer and more often.

i have the injection ever 3 months and i never have periods it great ask sexual health worker about it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending