The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is the UK a depressing place?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luukeee
How am I ****ging you? I've never said anything about British people, I really like them, most my friends are from here. But the country is a bit depressing, what do you want to say? I can lie to you if you want. And again, where you all went to get that "free tuition" bullsh*t? I pay just like you. I'm a student, I don't quite benefit from your "buoyant economy" do I?

What, you and your family have 'paid' for your free tuition in full during the 7 months you've lived here? You know that the true cost of it is more than the tiny contribution you've probably made towards it, don't you? The UK is going to recoup the costs of your tuition through your tax receipts once you bugger off back to Portugal? Of course we're not!
Original post by Luukeee
Well, no one. They are not illegally living here either. What's your point? They love here. I'm here only speaking for myself, not for Portugal or my family.

If they're European, then of course they're not living here 'illegally'. For the moment, anyway...
Original post by JohnGreek
Lol @ at the butthurt 'patriots' getting all defensive about their country. There's nothing inconsistent with saying that you don't like the miserable side of the UK, but deciding overall to live here because of the economic opportunities it has. The UK having a net positive impact on your education, job prospects, family standard of living or whatever doesn't mean that it's flawless.

(OP, it's less miserable in the South-East and rural areas - small towns, villages, etc)

And that, in a sentence, sums up why we (very unfortunately) voted to leave the EU last June.
Reply 23
Original post by Reality Check
What, you and your family have 'paid' for your free tuition in full during the 7 months you've lived here? You know that the true cost of it is more than the tiny contribution you've probably made towards it, don't you? The UK is going to recoup the costs of your tuition through your tax receipts once you bugger off back to Portugal? Of course we're not!

Again, there's no such thing as free tuition. I've never said my family has been living here for 7 months, I said I'm here for 7 months... You have to keep up brother. Well, I do intend to continue to pay my tuitions after I move out, I don't see why not.
Remind me what this has to do with OP's comment about parts of the UK being miserable?

What are you on about? I'm responding to your post!
Reply 25
If they're European, then of course they're not living here 'illegally'. For the moment, anyway...

You're really naive if you think all EU citizens are going to suddenly become illegals in the UK because of Brexit. Even if they weren't Europeans, you know there are something called visa, right?
Original post by Luukeee
You're really naive if you think all EU citizens are going to suddenly become illegals in the UK because of Brexit. Even if they weren't Europeans, you know there are something called visa, right?

It's you who is naif if you think that there isn't going to be a crackdown on exactly the situation you've sketched out here. It's what Brexit was all about (and before you say, I voted to Remain).
I thought the UK was pretty damn depressing after 4 years there. Maybe my expectations were too high but even the happy people seemed miserable in some aspect. I'm legally British but I never lived there till uni, so it was pretty disappointing to kinda have the image I had of the place ruined as hard as I did. I loved my time there but only because of my friends, but after my second year there I decided I could never live there full time. Just seems like an awful life imo (no offense to all the Brits here but it just ain't for me)
lol if you're moving here from Portugal or Brazil you're going to be in for a depressing culture shock.
Reply 29
It's you who is naif if you think that there isn't going to be a crackdown on exactly the situation you've sketched out here. It's what Brexit was all about (and before you say, I voted to Remain).

Mate, again, I don't know why you're so offended and started to bring up brexit and stuff. I've never offended British people and I do think the country is great when it comes to education and jobs opportunities. I'm telling you my experience in the country.
Reply 30
Original post by alexschmalex
I thought the UK was pretty damn depressing after 4 years there. Maybe my expectations were too high but even the happy people seemed miserable in some aspect. I'm legally British but I never lived there till uni, so it was pretty disappointing to kinda have the image I had of the place ruined as hard as I did. I loved my time there but only because of my friends, but after my second year there I decided I could never live there full time. Just seems like an awful life imo (no offense to all the Brits here but it just ain't for me)

Wow, and you just left uni? Where you live now?
Reply 31
Original post by ChickenMadness
lol if you're moving here from Portugal or Brazil you're going to be in for a depressing culture shock.

Yeah, a big shock, I wasn't really expecting
Original post by Luukeee
Mate, again, I don't know why you're so offended and started to bring up brexit and stuff. I've never offended British people and I do think the country is great when it comes to education and jobs opportunities. I'm telling you my experience in the country.

I'm sure you're a very nice person, and this is not some personal attack on you. It's registering my disapproval of the concept of coming over here to take advantage of our subsidised education system without any intention to pay back into the system which funded you - you yourself have confirmed that you're going 'back to Portugal'.It is this notion, that people come over to the UK solely to see what they can get out of it, which led in large part to Brexit - that's why I bring it up. I'm glad you think the country is great for education and opportunities - it is!

No hard feelings.
No. You tried to insert your irrelevant mini-rant about the EU into your reply to my post. The only thing I pointed out was that the weather isn't the only thing in people's minds (hence rendering the whole "maybe you should go back to your own country" line even more vacuous than it usually is, considering the plethora of reasons as to why someone who want to live in the UK), and you tried to start a "we don't like immigrants because reasons" thing.

If you want people to take you seriously, consider admitting to things that are evidently true and not derailing the discussion into a debate about the EU at the earliest possible opportunity.

I think it's you who is having a rant, John...

Have a cup of tea. It is 5pm, after all.
Original post by Luukeee

lol just ignore the butthurt trolls. No need to reply to them.

Original post by Luukeee
Yeah, a big shock, I wasn't really expecting

Btw the lack of sunlight and vitamin D causes seasonal depression, so you can take vitamin D tablets and that might make you feel less depressed lol.

I think the lack of sunlight just makes everyone miserable. Everyone usually looks happy in the 2 weeks of Summer we get :rofl:
Reply 35
I wouldn't call it depressing, but I am quite disappointed with how this country turned out to be. The weather isnt actually that bad, its quite warm in the winter and it doesn't rain as often as I thought it will. But British people are quite hard to get along with. They tend to have lots of friends to go out with but very few close friends. Everyone are always nice to me but it seems a bit fake, when something bad happens I don't think anyone would care about me despite asking me if im okay everyday.
Reply 36
I'm sure you're a very nice person, and this is not some personal attack on you. It's registering my disapproval of the concept of coming over here to take advantage of our subsidised education system without any intention to pay back into the system which funded you - you yourself have confirmed that you're going 'back to Portugal'.It is this notion, that people come over to the UK solely to see what they can get out of it, which led in large part to Brexit - that's why I bring it up. I'm glad you think the country is great for education and opportunities - it is!

No hard feelings.

But when you move from a country to another you're required to inform the Student Finance where you at. so you can continue to pay. And I do intend to do that, otherwise would be just take opportunity as you say, and also that's kind of stealing.
Original post by ChickenMadness
lol just ignore the butthurt trolls. No need to reply to them.

Btw the lack of sunlight and vitamin D causes seasonal depression, so you can take vitamin D tablets and that might make you feel less depressed lol.

I think the lack of sunlight just makes everyone miserable. Everyone usually looks happy in the 2 weeks of Summer we get :rofl:

You don't help your cause by classifying those you disagree with as 'butthurt trolls'. It's not terribly sophisticated.
Original post by Luukeee
But when you move from a country to another you're required to inform the Student Finance where you at. so you can continue to pay. And I do intend to do that, otherwise would be just take opportunity as you say, and also that's kind of stealing.

I entirely agree with you about that. I would point out that the total cost of tuition is rather more than the amount you will be required to pay back, though, and the way that money would ordinarily be recouped is through general taxation once you'd graduated - we won't be getting that in your case because you will have returned to live in Portugal. But again, that's not your fault personally, and in your position I probably should have done exactly the same as you have. It's the system which is at fault really, not enterprising young people like you who have used it to your advantage.

No hard feelings.

But if he's paying the tuition required, what else does he owe? You could say the same thing about students from anywhere studying in a country they're not from, British students included, so I don't see why it's such a big deal.

Original post by Luukeee
Wow, and you just left uni? Where you live now?

I'm back in Holland, which is equally depressing but because the weather is worse, taxes are higher and people are rude (don't mind that last part considering how sensitive everyone I knew in England was though :tongue:)

Latest

Trending

Trending