The Student Room Group

Gcse Physics p2 Edexcel

Hi can someone explain why inhaling a helium nuclei is not dangerous because I learnt that it is the same as an Alpha particle which is ionising and can damage our body if inside. Thx
(edited 7 years ago)
A helium nucleus may have less energy than an alpha particle, since when emitted an alpha particle will have quite a high kinetic energy. Only answer I can think of.
Original post by Shockez
Hi can someone explain why inhaling a helium neuci is not dangerous because I learnt that it is the same as an Alpha particle which is ionising and can damage our body if inside. Thx

It all depends on how the helium nuclei is produced.

If it came from a decaying alpha-particle emitting isotope, the kinetic energy of the particle is great enough to be highly ionising to surrounding tissue. i.e. the emitted alpha particles came from a radioactive source spurting out high energy alpha particles as the isotope spontaneously decays. It's ingestion of the alpha emitting isotope that causes the damage by tissue absorption of those emitted high kinetic energy alpha particles.

Alpha particles on their own do not decay or produce ionising radiation.

Helium nuclei at normal gaseous pressure and temperature is inert and does not have enough kinetic energy to damage human tissue.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik

If it came from a decaying alpha-particle emitting isotope, the kinetic energy of the particle is great enough to be highly ionising to surrounding tissue. i.e. the emitted alpha particles came from a radioactive source spurting out high energy alpha particles as the isotope spontaneously decays. It's ingestion of the alpha emitting isotope that causes the damage by tissue absorption of those emitted high kinetic energy alpha particles.

Helium nuclei at normal gaseous pressure and temperature is inert and does not have enough kinetic energy to damage human tissue.

It's infuriating how I can't rate your post because I've rated your posts so much already! :P

Edit : THE TORMENT! WHY CAN'T I ADD MORE VOTES!? It's been days! DAYS I SAY!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by uberteknik

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest