The Student Room Group

Please stop telling us that women's sport is as good as men's - it isn't! Discuss

Scroll to see replies

Original post by generallee
Coming on to the subject of the article, surely this is a subjective matter. The games are different. In tennis I prefer the woman's version but that is aesthetic. There is a grace and beauty which as a heterosexual male I respond to. There is no doubt that it is inferior in strength and speed however and no woman in history could beat a man currently in the top echelons.

Netball and women's hockey are similarly appealing, because of the grace and beauty of the players.

Where I think Lawson is right is that in sports like Football and Cricket the difference in quality is embarrassing. I find the female versions of both sport unwatchable, for the same reasons that I find the lower reaches of the male versions of the game. Watching the best you get spoilt. Having seen Ronaldo and Messi you get generate the same excitement over a journeyman striker in non League football.

Others disagree, but not enough. And that is why the BBC's PC campaign for women's versions of these games will have limited success. Football, for example, is a global sport. Wherever you go in the world you can discuss the Premier League. The money it generates is astonishing as is the viewership. That will never be the case for the female version of the game. You won't get into a cab in Vietnam or Mexico City and spend the time discussing Arsenal FC Ladies' latest signing.

Not going to happen.

I think you're exactly right, some people do prefer the women's discipline because of the beauty and grace compared to men's.... Simonie Biles is a perfect example, her performing is akin to art......

I think the major grievance Lawson touches on is how in the pursuit of gender equality, the BBC (and others) seem unable to resist cramming women's sport down viewers throats, and any objection is deemed sexist, misogynistic etc... I was in the local pub the other night and one customer themselves switched from the last moments of the ENG SA cricket to the women's football. When she received groans from all of the men watching the cricket, she lambasted us a 'sexist chauvanistic pigs'.... Not sure she was being accurate here tbh aha

I think the other interesting question which pops up every wimbledon is prize money..... Equal, but seeing as women play 3 sets vs 5 sets, I guess one could ask 'why should it be?'... Interesting seeing the backlash against McEnroe's comment on Serena Williams..... he was well within his rights to say what he did, and probably not far wrong.... but because he ultimately criticised a woman, hell a black woman too, the PC army kicked into overdrive, calling for him to be sacked and disgraced.
Original post by HabibSyed
Nah, have you seen the cloths American football players wear in the female league? Trust me, its definately better.

I suppose that's one way of attracting an audience eh
I have to disagree...

Spoiler

Reply 23
Yes and this is an obvious thing to point out, women's sport is not better and people are not as interested in watching it.
Original post by generallee
The trash comes from you.

There is a debate to be had on the subject of women's sport. It is a reasonable debate, with legitimate opinions on both sides. Lawson makes a contribution with which one can agree or disagree furnishing reasons.

You are unwilling for his side of the debate to be made. You attempt to discredit his argument, even his right to express it, tacitly, by attacking the medium in which he makes it, the Daily Mail.

This is true of anything which the Daily Mail might campaign for as a right of centre newspaper, or in this case simply an opinion piece by a columnist.

Argue your corner, disagree to your heart's content. That is what we do in a democracy with a free press.

But don't think you can get away with attempting to stop any discussion or expression of views by this shallow and tawdry tactic of smearing the vehicle in which the opinion is expressed. It has no basis in logic and is profoundly undemocratic, fascist even.

Aww, upset that I disagree with your favourite paper?

Well, tough. Just like you can have your opinion, I can have mine. So, go take a hike, darling. :h:

Also, can you read? I wasn't even talking about Lawson.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by brimstone131
Despite DM, Dominic Lawson always writes exceptionally well, interesting article. I know it's sports orientated, but I think it covers more than just sport

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4745054/Stop-telling-women-s-sport-good-men-s.html

I agree.

Suddenly being told and seeing Rugby, Cricket, Football thrust in our faces played by women. ****ing pc gone mad & overkill.

You see the stands being packed? No because women do not like sports. The minority that do will never exceed the millions of men that enthuse the sports.

There is no passion for it. Just because it's equality doesn'tmean men have to like it. It's absurd. Let women play but don't say it's in the same category.

Men don't do things women do so why not let men keep our things they keep theirs. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meany Pie
I have to disagree...

Spoiler

Agreed..... very good point raised. For some reason I think more men watch this than women, can't imagine why :wink:
The BBC has an obligation as a public broadcaster to show these things. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

But if your argument is that these sports are crap because they're not of the same standard as the professional men's, why aren't you having a go at disabled sport as well? The World Para-athletics was the week before last. Why isn't that on your list?
Original post by Drewski
The BBC has an obligation as a public broadcaster to show these things. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

But if your argument is that these sports are crap because they're not of the same standard as the professional men's, why aren't you having a go at disabled sport as well? The World Para-athletics was the week before last. Why isn't that on your list?

Good point, I guess they have a duty to show a broad spectrum.

You neglect the fact the the Para's are all broadcast on channel 4, and when there is other 'peak time' content, the para's are switched to E4.... this means it's there if you want to watch it, but in viewers' face.
The players are of a noticeably lower standard so women's sport is inferior (as a spectacle, some people prefer to watch women just in general). In time, with more infrastructure so more women can be professional (and support for girls so they can go into sport) they can develop their skills better (so no reason women can't be as good at snooker, motor-racing, horse-racing etc.), but if there's an element of physical strength or speed then the men's sport will always be superior. There's a reason they have to have women only competitions.
Women sports are like the paralympics, it's like telling that disabled kid in school "follow your dreams, you can do anything".

Scrap gender based sports entirely for huge events like the Olympics and set the date at a different time instead of forcing us to watch it by tying it up with the men, their medals shouldn't add to the total count aswell just like the paralympics medal don't.

Quote me if triggered
Reply 31
Original post by ThomH97
The players are of a noticeably lower standard so women's sport is inferior (as a spectacle, some people prefer to watch women just in general). In time, with more infrastructure so more women can be professional (and support for girls so they can go into sport) they can develop their skills better (so no reason women can't be as good at snooker, motor-racing, horse-racing etc.), but if there's an element of physical strength or speed then the men's sport will always be superior. There's a reason they have to have women only competitions.

You've never attempted either of these things at a decent standard, have you?

Motor racing involves a lot of strength to hold the car and deal with the forces.

Cue power generation in snooker is one of the hardest things about the game.

Even darts, a sport where you really wouldn't suggest there was any physicality needed, women end up using equipment to the men.

The only point where you've come close to the issue, is the infrastructure. Men have had privilege in sport thrust upon them (take football where women were stripped of their right to play) and in fact, live viewing figures have significantly dropped since making the sport male only.
I dunno man, me and my dad do like the beach volleyball event :P

When's the next olympics again haha :colondollar:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Tubbz
You've never attempted either of these things at a decent standard, have you?

Motor racing involves a lot of strength to hold the car and deal with the forces.

Cue power generation in snooker is one of the hardest things about the game.

Even darts, a sport where you really wouldn't suggest there was any physicality needed, women end up using equipment to the men.

Motor racing has got very little to do with the G force limits between genders.... it is the inherent risk taking part of the brain which young males possess, being able to take gaps, not brake until late, start accelerating earlier etc... you can see this when Schumi made his comeback, he was more risk averse after his time out, and noticeably far less aggressive.... Suzie Wolff and Sabine Schmitz both concur that this is the major reason holding women back, despite Sabine being in better shape than most of the current f1 grid

Snooker? Reanne Evans agrees with steve davis in saying that it's nothing to do with power generation - the mens no3 and no5 both have crap power..... They agree by saying it's the 'simple' nature of a male brain, to 'obcess' over something so small, be it snooker, a train sets, stamp collections etc.... whereas women generally will be focusing on 101 other things... yes, the lack of funding prevents any opportunity

Darts... i can't speak for that, as I know nothing about it, but I have to believe its for similar reasons
Reply 34
Motor racing has got very little to do with the G force limits between genders.... it is the inherent risk taking part of the brain which young males possess, being able to take gaps, not brake until late, start accelerating earlier etc... you can see this when Schumi made his comeback, he was more risk averse after his time out, and noticeably far less aggressive.... Suzie Wolff and Sabine Schmitz both concur that this is the major reason holding women back, despite Sabine being in better shape than most of the current f1 grid

Snooker? Reanne Evans agrees with steve davis in saying that it's nothing to do with power generation - the mens no3 and no5 both have crap power..... They agree by saying it's the 'simple' nature of a male brain, to 'obcess' over something so small, be it snooker, a train sets, stamp collections etc.... whereas women generally will be focusing on 101 other things... yes, the lack of funding prevents any opportunity

Darts... i can't speak for that, as I know nothing about it, but I have to believe its for similar reasons

Your point was it had nothing to do with strength, well that point is wrong.
In all 3 sports, strength does play a factor.

I will agree with you that men tend to become obsessive far easier than women. Even if you take gaming (not necessarily video games, but chess, scrabble, poker) contests that require zero strength, the elite all seem to be male.
Original post by Tubbz
Your point was it had nothing to do with strength, well that point is wrong.
In all 3 sports, strength does play a factor.

I will agree with you that men tend to become obsessive far easier than women. Even if you take gaming (not necessarily video games, but chess, scrabble, poker) contests that require zero strength, the elite all seem to be male.

As a former amateur racing driver, I can catergorially tell you that strength plays a tiny role in the success of women... one 22 year old girl who regualrly placed 3rd or better was skinny as hell, never went to the gym to do strength training, and actaully would black out sometimes.... Please, divulge as to how you know i'm wrong
Well there's a simple solution to shut both sides of the argument up. Remove gender divides in sports. Let everyone compete together. See what happens. This means all sports. Football, rugby, mma, cricket, the lot.

Ofc nobody will ever do this in case they're proved wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If we don't start treating women's sport equally to men's we will never reach a time where both become equally entertaining. This is probably referring to football as the Euros are on. Have you never seen a ****ing boring 0-0 draw between some **** teams like Stoke and West Brom???? THE MAJORITY OF WOMEN'S GAMES ARE INFINITELY MORE ENTERTAINING. There is often quite a stark contrast between the quality of teams in the women's game compared to men's but this is due to the lack of girls taking up the sport which is due to a lack of role models/lack of coverage on tv and the lack of coverage on tv is due to people moaning about how **** women's football is. It is a never ending cycle!!!!! #coys
Reply 38
As a former amateur racing driver, I can catergorially tell you that strength plays a tiny role in the success of women... one 22 year old girl who regualrly placed 3rd or better was skinny as hell, never went to the gym to do strength training, and actaully would black out sometimes.... Please, divulge as to how you know i'm wrong

"one 22 year old girl who regualrly placed 3rd or better was skinny as hell, never went to the gym to do strength training, and actaully would black out sometimes"

That one line you added was exactly what I am alluding to. Especially when you move up to higher powered cars, as in F1, you're at a limit where the human body is the probably, not the ability of the person competing.

It's why at amateur level you find women who are better than men, because that's where skill and ability makes the difference, once you get to elite level, physical capabilities start to become an important factor.
Womens beach volleyball is better than mens :wink:

Seriously though, I like watching all sport regardless whether its men or women. At least the womens England football team actually win unlike the mens team :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending