The Student Room Group

Stuck on a Nuclear Physics question

I've been stuck on this physics question for ages and I still can't figure out the answer.

The net effect of this process is to convert four protons into one Helium-4 nucleus and release a large amount of energy. The overall reaction is:

4H --> He + 2Beta Particles

together with the emission of 2 neutrinos and 2 gamma particles
b) What is (i) the total mass loss (ii) the total energy released in the overall reaction?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Draconid
I've been stuck on this physics question for ages and I still can't figure out the answer.

The net effect of this process is to convert four protons into one Helium-4 nucleus and release a large amount of energy. The overall reaction is:

4H --> He + 2Beta Particles

together with the emission of 2 neutrinos and 2 gamma particles
b) What is (i) the total mass loss (ii) the total energy released in the overall reaction?

Thanks in advance.

A level?

have you got any data on the rest mass of a He-4 nucleus and a proton... either on the data sheet or from an earlier section of the question?
Use the mass deficit equation for the mass loss and for total energy released I think it's mass loss as energy
Reply 3
Original post by triton62674
Use the mass deficit equation for the mass loss and for total energy released I think it's mass loss as energy

Whats the mass defict equation, havent heard of it before.
(edited 6 years ago)

Bet you've heard of E=mc2

http://www.chem.purdue.edu/gchelp/howtosolveit/Nuclear/nuclear_binding_energy.htm
Reply 6
Original post by Joinedup
A level?

have you got any data on the rest mass of a He-4 nucleus and a proton... either on the data sheet or from an earlier section of the question?

we are told to use the data sheet for the masses of a proton and positron; the mass of a helium nucleus is 4.00151u.
Reply 7
we are told to use the data sheet for the masses of a proton and positron; the mass of a helium nucleus is 4.00151u.

The nucleus of hydrogen is a proton, u have the mass of proton on formula sheet.

Do initial mass-final mass to work out the change in mass, leave in terms of the atomic mass unit up until this point, then convert to kg.

Plug into E=mc^2 and find the energy lost

Anything funny happened to the masses of the products of the reaction compared to the 4 protons going in?
Reply 9
Original post by Joinedup
Anything funny happened to the masses of the products of the reaction compared to the 4 protons going in?

Not really.
Reply 10
Original post by Shaanv
The nucleus of hydrogen is a proton, u have the mass of proton on formula sheet.

Do initial mass-final mass to work out the change in mass, leave in terms of the atomic mass unit up until this point, then convert to kg.

Plug into E=mc^2 and find the energy lost

Ahhh okay, I understand now, thanks for the help :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest