The Student Room Group

University of London International Programmes vs OU

I’m planning to study Social Sciences, or Politics. However, I’m looking at distance learning with either OU or UOL. I would like people’s opinions based the two educational institutions, and what your experiences were?
Original post by Jslack97
I’m planning to study Social Sciences, or Politics. However, I’m looking at distance learning with either OU or UOL. I would like people’s opinions based the two educational institutions, and what your experiences were?

The consensus is that the OU gives you more academic support (you get a tutor, online group tutorials and specially written textbooks to accompany modules), but it costs more and there is less choice in what modules you do. London has a reputation for having a lot more independent learning with less academic and pastoral support.

So, the question is what type of student are you? Are you the type of person that can you be given a list of books and go away and read them, or do you need more guidance? Do you prefer a combination of essays and exams (OU), or all exams (London)?
If you're outside of England, you'l find the price of the OU incredibly low. My degree will cost me £5700.
I'm studying social science at the moment for my psychology degree. The OU is very supportive and as someone who likes support and guidance, then it's great! I can just ring up my tutor and she helps me so much; they have disability and student support teams always available. You do get textbooks sent to you so it's not all completely online. I'm really happy at the moment.
I don't know anything about UOL.
Reply 3
Original post by hannxm
If you're outside of England, you'l find the price of the OU incredibly low. My degree will cost me £5700.
I'm studying social science at the moment for my psychology degree. The OU is very supportive and as someone who likes support and guidance, then it's great! I can just ring up my tutor and she helps me so much; they have disability and student support teams always available. You do get textbooks sent to you so it's not all completely online. I'm really happy at the moment.

That sounds great! What's the assessment and assignment materials like? :smile: are they good?
Reply 4
Original post by hannxm

I am not quite sure where you are getting those numbers from? They have raised their fees and the price for for example a BA in history is £17,568 (total qualification)

The UoL is substantially cheaper..
Original post by Durham_
I am not quite sure where you are getting those numbers from? They have raised their fees and the price for for example a BA in history is £17,568 (total qualification)

The UoL is substantially cheaper..

I said "if you're outside of England" as it's cheaper. It is £5700 for me in Wales.

That sounds great! What's the assessment and assignment materials like? :smile: are they good?

Yes, it's good. Assessment is mainly essays and online computer assessments with the odd sit in exam in some modules. The books are well written and easy to understand. They focus quite a lot on skill development.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show