The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

University of Portsmouth Vs University of Hertfordshire Vs Bournemouth University

I have received admission letters for the MA Media and Communication program from the University of Portsmouth, the University of Hertfordshire, and Bournemouth University. I am currently undecided and seeking advice on which would be the better choice for an international student, taking into account factors such as the quality of education, student-friendliness, part-time job opportunities, and accommodations.
Original post by Adhi123
I have received admission letters for the MA Media and Communication program from the University of Portsmouth, the University of Hertfordshire, and Bournemouth University. I am currently undecided and seeking advice on which would be the better choice for an international student, taking into account factors such as the quality of education, student-friendliness, part-time job opportunities, and accommodations.

Hey @Adhi123,
Congrats on your offers and great that you're considering Herts 🙂
I think you are most likely looking at our MA Journalism and Media Communications course? This programme offers high quality teaching from industry experts and award-winning lecturers who are highly skilled and experienced in print, web design, journalism and PR. You would benefit from our strong industry connections and networking opportunities, particularly as a result of our close proximity to London (we're just 25 mins north of London by train) - our graduates have secured great placements and gone onto work in a variety of exciting media roles.
As an international student, we support you and your future in every way so that you achieve your goals. We have excellent, modern accommodation (shortlisted for 'halls and student accommodation in the 2023 Whatuni Student Choice Awards) and aim to house our postgrad students together so that you can make the most of your uni experience.
There are lots of fantastic part-time work opportunities, both on and away from campus that not only help financially, but also help build your CV and confidence. Do read our part-time work page for more of an idea of the jobs that students can take on.
We have our postgrad online Q&A coming up in March if you wanted to speak directly to our academics/course leaders to find out more about postgrad study and your specific course of interest, as well as life and opportunities here at Herts. You can register here.
I hope this helps, but do reach out to our International Office via [email protected] if you have any specific questions. Our website is a great source of information and you can always ask again here.
All the best with your decision!
Gaynor
Marketing and Communications Team
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hey @Adhi123,
Congrats on your offers and great that you're considering Herts 🙂
I think you are most likely looking at our MA Journalism and Media Communications course? This programme offers high quality teaching from industry experts and award-winning lecturers who are highly skilled and experienced in print, web design, journalism and PR. You would benefit from our strong industry connections and networking opportunities, particularly as a result of our close proximity to London (we're just 25 mins north of London by train) - our graduates have secured great placements and gone onto work in a variety of exciting media roles.
As an international student, we support you and your future in every way so that you achieve your goals. We have excellent, modern accommodation (shortlisted for 'halls and student accommodation in the 2023 Whatuni Student Choice Awards) and aim to house our postgrad students together so that you can make the most of your uni experience.
There are lots of fantastic part-time work opportunities, both on and away from campus that not only help financially, but also help build your CV and confidence. Do read our part-time work page for more of an idea of the jobs that students can take on.
We have our postgrad online Q&A coming up in March if you wanted to speak directly to our academics/course leaders to find out more about postgrad study and your specific course of interest, as well as life and opportunities here at Herts. You can register here.
I hope this helps, but do reach out to our International Office via [email protected] if you have any specific questions. Our website is a great source of information and you can always ask again here.
All the best with your decision!
Gaynor
Marketing and Communications Team

Thank you for the detailed information! I'm excited about the MA Journalism and Media Communications course. With my skills in web design, graphics, print and digital design, advertising, filmmaking, and writing from my BA Mass Communication and Journalism background, could you share details on how the course enhances these areas? Also, does it help refine my resume and portfolio for better employability in the media field?
Original post by Adhi123
Thank you for the detailed information! I'm excited about the MA Journalism and Media Communications course. With my skills in web design, graphics, print and digital design, advertising, filmmaking, and writing from my BA Mass Communication and Journalism background, could you share details on how the course enhances these areas? Also, does it help refine my resume and portfolio for better employability in the media field?

Hey @Adhi123,
The MA will definitely advance your knowledge and skills in these areas - do take a look at the course page where you'll find module lists along with details of each under the 'What will I study' section.
You can also reach out to the programme leader to discuss the course in more detail - Dr Genevieve Bosah will be able to help: [[email protected] [undefined:[email protected]]][email protected]
In terms of employability, our courses are career-focused and you'll gain not only the advanced knowledge, but the professional skills to excel in your chosen path. Employment prospects are high with a postgraduate qualification - 93% of Herts postgraduates are in work or further study according to the latest Graduate Outcomes Survey.
And just one more thing - we're proud to have been ranked 2nd in the UK for overall satisfaction in the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES), 2023 - this reflects the quality of our courses and teaching.
Thanks and let us know if we can help with anything more 🙂
Gaynor
Original post by Adhi123

Hiya @Adhi123,

Congratulations on your offers, great to hear you're considering Bournemouth University (BU) :smile:

The MA Media & Communication is a popular degree at BU and you'd develop a highly employable skill set applicable to a wide variety of communication and media careers, whilst expanding your professional ability to engage with theoretical concepts and display critical understanding and analysis!

We have an amazing international community at BU, and we have lots of support available that you can read about on our website here. If you choose to study at BU, we have over 100 clubs and societies for you to get involved in, so whatever you enjoy doing, you'd hopefully find people that you can bond with that enjoy those things too!

You can also take a look at our dedicated BU international Instagram account, for further insight into student life at BU as an international student.

With regard to student part-time job opportunities, you can become a Student Ambassador of BU, and get involved in many different job roles, from supporting Open Days, to creating content for our uni, to supporting our schools outreach programmes and much more, and it's super popular among our international students.

When it comes to accommodation, exclusive for those living in the BU accommodation portfolio, we have a team called ResLifeBU which is a programme to welcome, support and develop students through their first year living with us, whilst managing the health, safety and wellbeing of everybody living in the accommodation. £1.75 of your weekly rent goes towards funding the programme but once you get involved you will see it is worth so much more than that to your student community.

If you'd like to learn more, and speak with staff and students at BU, our next PG Open Day is a physical on campus Open Day on 20 March from 5pm - 8pm, but we also have a Virtual Postgraduate Open Day on 15 May from 2pm - 5pm. You can register for these events here.

I hope this helps with your decision, but please feel free to ask any further questions!

All the best,
Kerry - BU Official Rep
Although I can’t comment on course quality at these unis, I’d say that Bournemouth is a strong choice. Hertfordshire is in a good location for your course due to its locality to London, however, Bournemouth has a good compromise between a well-connected location and still a beautiful area. I have lots of friends at Bournemouth uni who all really love it. The people are super friendly and fun and the staff are supportive! I think Herts is also a bit easier to get into so maybe less competitive overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending