The Student Room Group

Is wearing a white poppy disrespectful?

Scroll to see replies

if someone changed the colors on a rainbow LGBT badge there would be a shitstorm
Original post by the bear
if someone changed the colors on a rainbow LGBT badge there would be a shitstorm

They did... to include black pride. It was both welcomed by many and many were upset. Exactly the same as with the poppies
I for one was very happy with it
Original post by Robby2312
You dont think it glorifys war? It obviously does.

Only an imbecile could think war was something that can be glorified.
Original post by Drewski
Only an imbecile could think war was something that can be glorified.

"Dulce et Decorum est Pro Patria Mori."

If war is not something that can be glorified then that line loses all meaning. Obviously it can be glorified.It has been throughout the history of humankind. Thats literally the whole point of that poem.War is glorified all the time.Using terms like"heroes".How is that not glorifying it? No they are not heroes.Killing a bunch of people in another country does not automatically make you a hero.It depends upon the context and in any other context it would be called murder.Even now you have the narrative that we are the good guys whilst nazi germany were the bad guys. Not really,we committed just as evil acts as hitler did in wartime.

This whole charade of remembrance often only serves to blur the lines between what was a right and just war with the current wars which are in no way honourable.Only an imbecile would fail to see that war is glorified all the time.If it wasn't glorified then nobody would fight in them.Did we tell our soldiers they were fighting for oil money and for US interests in the region?No we told them they were fighting for democracy and freedom even though the US and Uk are both more than happy to tolerate far worse regimes than iraq was.
Wearing a white poppy is basically equivalent to stating publicly, 'no, I don't wish to honour or remember British troops!'.

if you don't want to participate in the poppy appeal I'd rather you just kept your opinions to yourself, rather than attempting to hijack it to virtue signal.
Original post by Plagioclase
I have no idea how anybody could get offended by someone wearing a white poppy.

You underestimate just how sensitive these pro-war nationalists can be.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Wearing a white poppy is basically equivalent to stating publicly, 'no, I don't wish to honour or remember British troops!'.

if you don't want to participate in the poppy appeal I'd rather you just kept your opinions to yourself, rather than attempting to hijack it to virtue signal.

Wearing poppies of any colour is virtue-signalling. Most people don’t give a ****. They just want others to know that they support the popular cause at any given time.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Wearing poppies of any colour is virtue-signalling. Most people don’t give a ****. They just want others to know that they support the popular cause at any given time.

Not quite. Clearly they're both a form of signalling. That's the whole point of wearing any kind of symbol. But wearing a red poppy is a common, understated gesture that signals respect. Wearing a white poppy, on the other hand, clearly casts disapproval on what everyone else is doing, by being pointedly different, and therefore draws attention to the wearer specifically and how special his views are. It's really just a *****y thing to do. If you don't approve, just don't join in.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Not quite. Clearly they're both a form of signalling. That's the whole point of wearing any kind of symbol. But wearing a red poppy is a common, understated gesture that signals respect.

Virtue signalling is about enhancing standing with a social group; wearing the red poppy is a perfect example of this in a society where displays of patriotism considered mandatory, even if you don’t particularly agree with the actions of the military.

Wearing a white poppy, on the other hand, clearly casts disapproval on what everyone else is doing, by being pointedly different, and therefore draws attention to the wearer specifically and how special his views are. It's really just a *****y thing to do. If you don't approve, just don't join in.

Not is it not a *****y thing to do (it’s just a symbol of peace - of peace triggers you, then you ought to reconsider your values), but it’s also NOT virtue-signalling if everyone else is doing the opposite. Contrarianism is not the same as virtue-signalling.
No but it shows that you're basically a snowflake who wants to solve problems with hugs and kisses like at the nursery. In real life, war can be the practical solution to many problems
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MartinF98
No but it shows that you're basically a snowflake who wants to solve problems with hugs and kisses like at the nursery. In real life, war can be the practical solution to many problems

I'm willing to bet that you have never been to a warzone, Mr strong I-am-so-not-a-snowflake. Care to volunteer?
Original post by MartinF98

Yes but talking is most often a better solution.War can be a neccesity but we should still strive for an end to it.Most wars are not fought for the greater good.
Yes because the wearer is making it about themselves.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Yes because the wearer is making it about themselves.

How so?
Original post by Eunomia
How so?

The wearer is wearing it as a statement, it’s about attention for the wearer of the "special poppy" while the rest of us look on with a bit of embarrassment.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
The wearer is wearing it as a statement, it’s about attention for the wearer of the "special poppy" while the rest of us look on with a bit of embarrassment.

Or perhaps they simply agree with what it stands for? Are you suggesting that the red poppies are about conformity?
the dead dont care if you wear a poppy or not. the poppy is to raise funds for our disabled and older ex servicemen. if buying a white or other poppy diverts funds away then that matters, the poppy does not glorify war it honours the sacrifice those young men and women made so that you have the freedom to choose, if you respect there sacrifice then no one can say that your not honouring our war dead. an to be sure your family will have someone that died in one of the 2 world wars.
Yes it’s disgusting
Original post by Tootles
I'm a member of the Royal British Legion, and to be honest I'd never even thought about this before. I'm afraid, though, that as a member of the RBL, I can't openly give my opinion.

I don't wear a poppy. An outward sign, for a week or two a year, of a respect that should be shown always? That's more disrespectful than wearing a white poppy instead of a red one.

How fo you know that red poppy wearers don’t have the same respect all year? I’m sure a large percentage do.
The funds raised every year by the poppy appeal do a great deal of good. Do you suggest that because we don’t wear one all year we don’t bother then?
Reply 39
Original post by FL Watch
Represent all victims of war- so that includes ISIS Nazi Germany, communism under Stalin alqueda- when all of these are evil regimes.
Our remembrance money should be used to commemorate our great blood sacrifice to save a continent, who now hate us. Money should go to helping homeless veterans, funding community projects with the forces- ie the mental health of former soldiers

Yes, represent all victims of war. Victims. The brainwashed, the broken, the dead. Soldiers never fight in war believing they are the bad guys. The Wehrmacht turned on the SS. ISIS fighters are brainwashed and don't have the luxury of rationality and education many of us have. Remembrance is not for the politicians, it is not for the armed forces, it is for the people that lost their lives to war, no matter the circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending