The Student Room Group

Do you think White privilege exists?

Interesting topic title
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Actualllyyyyyyy, Let's start with.....white people given jobs over black people.
Reply 3
Yes it does, however, there is already a name for it. It's called racism!
No, 'white privilege' is a product of this modern victim culture trend and those blaming everyone else for their shortcomings rather than looking internally.
Original post by Chaz254
That's black people blaming white people for them not getting a job. Employers give jobs based on merit and skills, not skin colour.

Giving a job to a white person over a black person purely because of skin colour is discrimination and is illegal.

Let's see the proof that a white person got a job over a black person purely because of skin colour.

Ok think about it like this, STATISTICALLY speaking, it is proven that a white person has a 40% higher chance of being accepted to oxbridge compared to a POC with even the exact same qualifications and levels overall.

It is STATISTICALLY proven that white people have again a 33% higher chance of gaining a job over a POC purely due to race.

White privilege does exist in most circumstances but again it is not to say that all jobs given to a white person over a black person is because of their race/ethnicity. Some times it can just be due to the persons own merit.
Original post by Chaz254
I think you need to look up the term racism. Racism definitely does not equal white privilege.

So a low-income family living on a council estate on benefits is more privileged than a middle class black family living in an affluent suburb, because they're white?

Privilege is a class thing, not a race thing.

Interesting point, now tell me who is more privileged, the low income WHITE family living on the council estate, or the low income BLACK family living on the council estate? White privilee isn't to say that if a white person is of a "lower" class compared to the POC, that they will automatically gain more privilege due to being white.

White privilege is simply that, when comparing a white person v black person with similar qualifications, merits and level of understanding in a particular field. 8/10 times the white person then gains privilege because of the colour of their skin as the employer no longer has any other attributes to compare. White privilege is real, my friend.
White privilege does not mean that every white person has a perfect life. It just means that there is prejudice and discrimination that people of colour will face at some point in their life that white people will never have to face, or even think about. Obviously there is middle-class privilege, male privilege, having the privilege of being able-bodied and more. But the fact that these other forms of privilege exist doesn't negate the fact that white privilege exists too.
Yes it does. No matter how diverse the society is right now you do not know what happens behind the scenes.
ah, white people.
Of course it exists, I experienced it myself when looking for jobs posted by my professor.

Outside of the job market I can't see anywhere in the UK where white privilege exists though.
Original post by coolio333
Ok think about it like this, STATISTICALLY speaking, it is proven that a white person has a 40% higher chance of being accepted to oxbridge compared to a POC with even the exact same qualifications and levels overall.

Link? especially on the same level of qualifications thing.
Original post by Chaz254
White privilege doesn't exist.

Privilege does exist, but it's down to class, not race.

Go say white privilege is real to a white family living in a council estate on benefits.

It has nothing to do with race. It's just a term others use to put the blame for their problems on.

I know "White Success" exists. That is what primaily gives white people an advantage. Some people trying to make it look bad have decided to use a perjorative like "White Privilege".

In the UK, advantage is also primarily based on success. It is a historical class society. The more you are networked to the aristocracy, the higher your privilege.

Not so different from the Indian caste system.
When will people learn that white males living on the street, or poor white families existing aren't proof of white privilege doesn't exist?
I completely agree that it is done to class rather than race. If it was down to race then there shouldn't be white homeless people or white people suffering from unemployment or poverty.
Reply 15
Original post by Skuuuudent
Actualllyyyyyyy, Let's start with.....white people given jobs over black people.

Show some examples
White privilege does not exist, not in this day and age at least. There is one privilege that does exist though.....

Spoiler

Original post by Skuuuudent

That's simply not the case, if an employer had to chose between two equal people, the only difference between them being the colour of their skin, they will choose the coloured person just to increase workplace diversity.
Original post by ElAshtonio
That's simply not the case, if an employer had to chose between two equal people, the only difference between them being the colour of their skin, they will choose the coloured person just to increase workplace diversity.

Hopefully not, at least.
Yes to an extent but I definitely think it's a fairly accusatory term. I think saying *insert specific group here* discrimination makes more sense to say and actually refers to a specific problem in society. Also lots of different types of privilege exist but for some reasons people are very focused on race.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending