The Student Room Group

Maastricht University is THE WORST

To anyone considering applying to Maastricht university, DON'T!

This university is an absolute horror show. From the administration, to the professors (note some of the professors are really lovely and really try), to their facilities, to their examination procedure, almost everything sucks!

Maastricht had been my first choice university for my masters since my first year as a bachelor student, so I was super excited when I got accepted. Unfortunately, this excitement subsided after my first week at Maastricht. Here are some of the many reasons for why I, and many of my co-years hate it here:

1. The administration. At first their administration seemed quick and efficient - their admissions office is really good at quickly signing up students. But after I had accepted my spot the troubles started. They wouldn't sign the forms I needed to apply to financial support from my country (because for some reason that was against their policy), they wouldn't give me my student card, even though I asked for it 3 times a month for over 6 months, their communication is slow and rarely answers your questions, and many other instances that almost drove me and other students to tears in frustration.

2. The have so many random rules, and bureaucracy, that no-one can remember, so things are extremely slow, and nothing ever works and staff are afraid to make decisions because they're not sure if they're complying with the rules. E.g. Remember how I didn't get my student card. During the exam period the library is overcrowded, su students have to show their student card to prove they're studying at UM. I did bring my letter of enrolment and passport, to show that I did study at UM, but was not let into the library, "BECAUE ONLY THE STUDENT CARD PROVES THAT YOU ARE WHO YOU SAY YOU ARE".

3. Forget trying to apply for any kind of disability support (e.g. ADHD or Dyslexia) for the exams, it took me and two other people from my year almost 8 weeks of back and forth to get any kind of support, because they did not want to accept doctors certificates from other countries (even though they were in English). My co-year went to get her dyslexia tested AGAIN which set her back several hundred euros.

4. Talking about exams, rules here are random and retarded again. Exams frequently start late because of poor organisation, but no extra time is awarded. Evne when exams start on time, students who sit in the front row get the exams first and get to start writing, while those sitting in the back have to wait a good 3 minutes before they also get to start. Still everyone has to stop writing at the same time. When we complained to the board of examiners they said "THERE IS NO OTHER WAY THAN DOING IT THE WAY WE'RE DOING IT" - I must have dreamed all the times I've taken exams at my old university and high school, and examiners managed to have everyone start at the same time, and give us all the time they promised us. This is just another example of the ineptness of the administration at this university.

5. Professors don't seem to give a **** about you. While I have to excuse some, because they're amazing and lovely people, that just seem very stressed, it is still extremely frustrating to barely ever get a response, have your professors forget who you are even after you've talked to them dozens of times (and no, it's not the size of this university, my old uni was way bigger and professors still managed to remember their students). I assume the biggest problem is that many of the professors here are way to over worked, and many of them have responsibilities other than teaching and research. E.g. one of our professors was so busy that we had to cancel 3 out of 9 tutorials with him.

6. The workload is way too high. I know students frequently say this, and when I think back to me saying this during my bachelor I have to laugh. But the fact is that to keep up with the workload at the masters level we have to work 80-100+ hours a week. This causes students to have mental and physical health issues, and many of the students in my class started taking study drugs to manage the pressure. If this was oxbridge, I'd understand, but maastricht is a second class university, and not worth this much work. You should rather look into going to a more reputable university, that likely offers a lower workload.

7. Maastricht university's stats about being so international are extremely deceiving. I don't have the actual numbers, but it feels like well over 80% of the international students are germans, which really isn't that much fun if you're not german, because many (NOT ALL) of the Germans group together and form these german communities, that can be quite hard for other foreigners to get into.

8. Adding to 7. the level quality of English spoken here is extremely low. I, as a native speaker, have gotten noticeably worse at speaking english, and many of the students and professors speak so poorly that it can be hard to understand them, not adding to the quality of the courses.

There are surely many more reasons not to chose Maastricht University, and of course this is mostly just my experience (though many of my classmates and friends here, largely agree with my points). Just do yourself a favour and chose a different university.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thats a shame to hear about your bad experience. May I ask what subject you are taking? And how do you plan to rectify this situation, will you be leaving for anouther uni or will you be staying on for the duration of your course?
Whew! That is quite the rant. It would help if you mentioned where you did your undergraduate degree (the answer might explain why you find the workload so difficult),since all we know about you is that you are a native speaker of English. I visited Maastricht with my son for an open day at their University College,and I was rather impressed with the university on the whole (my son,less so)...the event was well organized,and everyone from the school was extremely hospitable. I think your point about them inflating their "international" credentials is valid. I suspect over 75% of their foreign students are German or Belgian...but the tone of your post is so strident, that it calls into question your credibility.

Original post by OdaFPN

This university is an absolute horror show. From the administration, to the professors (note some of the professors are really lovely and really try), to their facilities, to their examination procedure, almost everything sucks!

Maastricht had been my first choice university for my masters since my first year as a bachelor student, so I was super excited when I got accepted. Unfortunately, this excitement subsided after my first week at Maastricht. Here are some of the many reasons for why I, and many of my co-years hate it here:

1. The administration. At first their administration seemed quick and efficient - their admissions office is really good at quickly signing up students. But after I had accepted my spot the troubles started. They wouldn't sign the forms I needed to apply to financial support from my country (because for some reason that was against their policy), they wouldn't give me my student card, even though I asked for it 3 times a month for over 6 months, their communication is slow and rarely answers your questions, and many other instances that almost drove me and other students to tears in frustration.

2. The have so many random rules, and bureaucracy, that no-one can remember, so things are extremely slow, and nothing ever works and staff are afraid to make decisions because they're not sure if they're complying with the rules. E.g. Remember how I didn't get my student card. During the exam period the library is overcrowded, su students have to show their student card to prove they're studying at UM. I did bring my letter of enrolment and passport, to show that I did study at UM, but was not let into the library, "BECAUE ONLY THE STUDENT CARD PROVES THAT YOU ARE WHO YOU SAY YOU ARE".

3. Forget trying to apply for any kind of disability support (e.g. ADHD or Dyslexia) for the exams, it took me and two other people from my year almost 8 weeks of back and forth to get any kind of support, because they did not want to accept doctors certificates from other countries (even though they were in English). My co-year went to get her dyslexia tested AGAIN which set her back several hundred euros.

4. Talking about exams, rules here are random and retarded again. Exams frequently start late because of poor organisation, but no extra time is awarded. Evne when exams start on time, students who sit in the front row get the exams first and get to start writing, while those sitting in the back have to wait a good 3 minutes before they also get to start. Still everyone has to stop writing at the same time. When we complained to the board of examiners they said "THERE IS NO OTHER WAY THAN DOING IT THE WAY WE'RE DOING IT" - I must have dreamed all the times I've taken exams at my old university and high school, and examiners managed to have everyone start at the same time, and give us all the time they promised us. This is just another example of the ineptness of the administration at this university.

5. Professors don't seem to give a **** about you. While I have to excuse some, because they're amazing and lovely people, that just seem very stressed, it is still extremely frustrating to barely ever get a response, have your professors forget who you are even after you've talked to them dozens of times (and no, it's not the size of this university, my old uni was way bigger and professors still managed to remember their students). I assume the biggest problem is that many of the professors here are way to over worked, and many of them have responsibilities other than teaching and research. E.g. one of our professors was so busy that we had to cancel 3 out of 9 tutorials with him.

6. The workload is way too high. I know students frequently say this, and when I think back to me saying this during my bachelor I have to laugh. But the fact is that to keep up with the workload at the masters level we have to work 80-100+ hours a week. This causes students to have mental and physical health issues, and many of the students in my class started taking study drugs to manage the pressure. If this was oxbridge, I'd understand, but maastricht is a second class university, and not worth this much work. You should rather look into going to a more reputable university, that likely offers a lower workload.

7. Maastricht university's stats about being so international are extremely deceiving. I don't have the actual numbers, but it feels like well over 80% of the international students are germans, which really isn't that much fun if you're not german, because many (NOT ALL) of the Germans group together and form these german communities, that can be quite hard for other foreigners to get into.

8. Adding to 7. the level quality of English spoken here is extremely low. I, as a native speaker, have gotten noticeably worse at speaking english, and many of the students and professors speak so poorly that it can be hard to understand them, not adding to the quality of the courses.

There are surely many more reasons not to chose Maastricht University, and of course this is mostly just my experience (though many of my classmates and friends here, largely agree with my points). Just do yourself a favour and chose a different university.
Yeah we have people like you coming and complaining about their negative experience and their workload at MU every year. The university is not for everyone and I am sorry to tell you but by the way you are ranting here about how **** everything is you remind of the same people who come here every year and who just don’t have what it takes to manage their studies. It is very easy to start complaining at the university if you are failing or struggling but in reality, from what I read, you seem to not understand that you probably are just not good enough to make it here like so many others.
Reply 4
Original post by RowanA
Thats a shame to hear about your bad experience. May I ask what subject you are taking? And how do you plan to rectify this situation, will you be leaving for anouther uni or will you be staying on for the duration of your course?

Sorry for the late reply. I'm taking The research master in Cognitive Neuroscience. It's better now because I'm doing my research internship, at a different university (the one good thing about this master is that we get to take a 9+ month research internship, which I really enjoy). I wanted to leave after the first semester, but the problem was that I came on a scholarship provided by my country, and if I had dropped out I'd have to pay back the whole sum, which I couldn't afford.

As my class representative I have actively tried to work with the administration to try and improve things, but progress is very slow, and students are too busy to spend much time on improving the master and administration. To me it often seemed like the people at the faculty I dealt with, intentionally tried to drag out the process so it wouldn't be done before we left, and then we wouldn't care anymore.

For now I'm just happy to be done with this university for now.
Reply 5
Original post by C.Kadiddlehopper
Whew! That is quite the rant. It would help if you mentioned where you did your undergraduate degree (the answer might explain why you find the workload so difficult),since all we know about you is that you are a native speaker of English. I visited Maastricht with my son for an open day at their University College,and I was rather impressed with the university on the whole (my son,less so)...the event was well organized,and everyone from the school was extremely hospitable. I think your point about them inflating their "international" credentials is valid. I suspect over 75% of their foreign students are German or Belgian...but the tone of your post is so strident, that it calls into question your credibility.

Sorry for the late reply. I did my undergrad at University of Colorado Boulder and an exchange semester at UCL. I had actually already gotten in to Maastricht when I applied for my bachelors but at the time I got a better financial support package from UC. I think the main reason that I wanted to do my masters at Maastricht was that I had not been able to do my bachelors there, and a lot of my best friends ended up going to Maastricht and had a good time (they did the University College Maastricht thing). I retrospect I regret my decision, because I could probably have gotten into way better colleges than Maastricht for my masters and probably had a better time. Aren't we all smarter in hindsight?

I do agree with your assessment, the info days are pretty well organised, and they seem to put a lot of effort into recruiting new students. We had the dean of the University College travel to our high school to recruit us, which is how I first learned of Maastricht.

Unfortunately they do paint a quite deceiving image of the university to lure in students. I think maybe if they were a bit more honest about what students actually end up getting students wouldn't be so disappointed.

For example, they claim that it's easy to get student housing when moving to maastricht (which I fortunately have been very lucky with) but every year there are dozens if not hundreds of students who end up sleeping on other people's couches, or end up having to go home again because they can't find anything.

They also claimed that you'd have close contact with your professors, but as I stated above, that has never been the case, and not for a lack of trying. If it was only me I'd say it's probably me who just isn't good enough at initiating contact, but the majority of my classmates struggled too, even those who had already done their bachelors here and knew the professors from before.

IN the end everyone has to know for themselves where they want to go, but personally I would not recommend this university.
Reply 6
Original post by Mamb0Jambo
Yeah we have people like you coming and complaining about their negative experience and their workload at MU every year. The university is not for everyone and I am sorry to tell you but by the way you are ranting here about how **** everything is you remind of the same people who come here every year and who just don’t have what it takes to manage their studies. It is very easy to start complaining at the university if you are failing or struggling but in reality, from what I read, you seem to not understand that you probably are just not good enough to make it here like so many others.

If students are coming here every year, complaining about the workload, and their negative experience, maybe that says something about the university, don't you think?
As I stated before, I know that students tend to complain, but I've never seen people (me included) be so angry at any university or school before.

As for the failing part, I never said I was failing, unless I mess up my Master's thesis I will be graduating *** Laude, and I have the impression that most people in my class are doing pretty well too. That still doesn't keep them from disliking the way this university is run.

Maybe instead of blaming the students UM should look at how they can improve themselves.
Original post by OdaFPN
Sorry for the late reply. I did my undergrad at University of Colorado Boulder and an exchange semester at UCL. I had actually already gotten in to Maastricht when I applied for my bachelors but at the time I got a better financial support package from UC. I think the main reason that I wanted to do my masters at Maastricht was that I had not been able to do my bachelors there, and a lot of my best friends ended up going to Maastricht and had a good time (they did the University College Maastricht thing). I retrospect I regret my decision, because I could probably have gotten into way better colleges than Maastricht for my masters and probably had a better time. Aren't we all smarter in hindsight?

Your reply may be late,but it is well reasoned,and lacks the hyperbole of your original post (You really should undo those caps in the title-:smile:
Your academic background is solid: Boulder is a fine Uni,and I did an exchange at UCL myself more than a few years back,so there is possibly some prejudice from my standpoint. You paint a picture of a stagnant academic bureaucracy at Maastricht...I am sure that such situations are not unique to that institution alone. It seems the higher up the academic pyramid you climb,the more political it gets, on both sides of the Atlantic. Your comments on the housing difficulties in provincial Maastricht are discouraging. My son was just accepted to UvA, and I have to assume housing will be exponentially more difficult in that tourist-filled city. The university promises support and,hopefully,they will be truer to their word than Maastricht appears to have been. Good luck in your future endeavors. Remember that once you pick up that Masters you are permanently linked with Maastricht, so I would recommend being more circumspect in any public condemnation...hopefully the situation there will eventually resolve itself for the better...though,sadly,after your time.
Sorry for the late reply but I would just like to give an update.This is in terms of the Bachelor but it’s essentially the same problems because it’s the same university. I just now will be transferring to another university because I’m just not satisfied with how things are run. Besides some of the things what you wrote (which are still pretty true sadly) there has been consistent problems with the course coordinators and tutors as well. In my faculty they told us the wrong mandatory book we needed almost more than halfway through the course. (Thank god by this point I’m out)Also tutors in most cases are students as well and/or random people from other faculties. They sometimes don’t know what we are even doing or tell us the wrong things. And the main problem was they couldn’t help or explain things to us. This was so frustrating to a lot of us because how can we be examined on something we don’t know or understand. The funny part is, the course exam for my faculty was notorious about the high fail rate. At this point instead of blaming students maybe blame the school. I have had experience with high work load (from IB) so it wasn’t much of a problem however it was the quality of the work that was missing. It felt like busy work or things they give you just to keep you busy but doesn’t really benefit you. The international aspect is a no. People are mostly German and this does create a barrier and as someone who doesn’t speak German, you feel left out. Overall I don’t think this university is all worth it. It’s frustrating and way overhyped on open days. I think you can get way better education elsewhere. I wish the best of luck to all current and future students!!
Original post by Anon_transfer
Sorry for the late reply but I would just like to give an update.This is in terms of the Bachelor but it’s essentially the same problems because it’s the same university. I just now will be transferring to another university because I’m just not satisfied with how things are run. Besides some of the things what you wrote (which are still pretty true sadly) there has been consistent problems with the course coordinators and tutors as well. In my faculty they told us the wrong mandatory book we needed almost more than halfway through the course. (Thank god by this point I’m out)Also tutors in most cases are students as well and/or random people from other faculties. They sometimes don’t know what we are even doing or tell us the wrong things. And the main problem was they couldn’t help or explain things to us. This was so frustrating to a lot of us because how can we be examined on something we don’t know or understand. The funny part is, the course exam for my faculty was notorious about the high fail rate. At this point instead of blaming students maybe blame the school. I have had experience with high work load (from IB) so it wasn’t much of a problem however it was the quality of the work that was missing. It felt like busy work or things they give you just to keep you busy but doesn’t really benefit you. The international aspect is a no. People are mostly German and this does create a barrier and as someone who doesn’t speak German, you feel left out. Overall I don’t think this university is all worth it. It’s frustrating and way overhyped on open days. I think you can get way better education elsewhere. I wish the best of luck to all current and future students!!

Were you also taking courses in FPN? Just confused, because in Keuzigids, it is said that it is the top program in Netherlands. And now I am having second thoughts of applying for UM...
Original post by OdaFPN

Still better than most UK universities in rankings 😂😂😂
Original post by Mamb0Jambo

Oh please, get over yourself. I went to UM for both my bachelor and master (for lack of any real choice) and managed to complete my studies on time and with a good GPA. So, I clearly "had what it takes", as you put it. However, this doesn't mean that I'm as delusional as you and don't recognize that the uni has some serious problems: many (far from all but still many) professors are incompetent yet so far up their own behinds that I'm surprised they don't suffocate; most of the people who work in the administration are borderline retarded and have no idea how to do their jobs; the organization is often terrible and there were several instances where I've had to wait for over a week past the official deadline for exam/assignment results while complaining students were just told to suck it up and wait as the professor had a good reason for being tardy (there's never any consequences for the professors failing to meet their deadlines but god forbid a student is late even by a second, regardless of how good their excuse is); some of the courses (especially in the bachelor) were utter pointless bs and clearly had no other purpose than allowing the professor leading the course to stroke their own ego by thinking they're doing something (the skills courses immediately come to mind); lastly, the uni does absolutely nothing to help their students in any way with finding employment (even in the form of trainee/internships) because UM simply doesn't care.

Judging by how quick you are to defend this university (not to mention unreasonable) I can tell that you probably work there, most likely as a professor or something, and yet I see you've made several really stupid grammatical errors in your reply above, proving OP's point about how the level of English is poor at this university (something, I myself have experienced).

I could go on and on about all the problems with this uni but UM's continued (and continuing) fall in the university rankings speaks for itself. There are legitimate issues with how this uni is run and the main problem is that the people in charge just don't give a damn, instead choosing to blame students themselves for apparently not having what it takes, as you've so arrogantly put it. You make me sick.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah same here, I did the Bachelor (Psychology), as well as the Research Master Cognitive Neuroscience and I'm now finishing the Ph.D. at the same faculty. I've also studied at Universities Tübingen (Germany), UC Irvine (USA), and Oxford (UK) as an exchange student.It is true that the bureaucracy in Maastricht tends to be somewhat stiff and almost Kafkaesque at times. I've had many problems over the years that would leave me in a pinch. However, all could be resolved when you kept talking to the people in a friendly way, and in person. There are always people you can go to and I've never seen someone fail because something wasn't resolved. Personally, having taught in Maastricht for several years, I honestly have my suspicions that you might have come across as somewhat entitled, which is something that will lead to exactly the kind of problems you describe.There is a big difference between the universities I visited when it comes to how much independence and self-reliance is required. My experience was that American universities cater more to students as a teaching institution, whereas European universities are more focused on research. When you go to a University like Boulder, (or UC Irvine) you get a lot of time from the professors, that was really surprising to me. Also, you get the amenities on on-campus living and such. The teachers at European Universities I think spend more of their energy on research. As a teacher, I expected my students to be self-organized in a way and my impression is that your problems were, at least in part, caused by a mismatch in expectation and reality with regards to what the University will do for you. You're right that UM is definitely overselling itself when it comes to the quality of their stewardship. You will not get as much help with housing and organizing your coursework etc as promised. Also, I've seen many problems with the organization. Also, the problem-based-learning approach needs some getting used to if you haven't done your undergraduate in Maastricht as well.Plus, and I include myself in that group to some degree, some teachers have a very low tolerance for students that bicker over problems like yours because we have actual research to do. That doesn't mean that our problems are more important than yours, but it's a hard reality of working in research today. As a Ph.D. student (which comprises the majority of TAs) you have to publish. That is your main concern. And I'm sorry if your professors didn't give you your grades on time, found place for you to live, or helped you fill out formst, that was surely an unpleasant experience. However, if this is the tone you used when voicing concerns or asking for help, I suspect that the organizational structure of UM is the sole reason for the lack of quality of your experience. That being said, having spent a long time in Maastricht and also having visited other Universities I know that UM was the right university for me. The problem-based-learning approach definitely was a big advantage (for me) and the quality of the teachers in the RM program (with some exceptions for SURE) was top notch. Most of my professors were really enthusiastic about their field, loved teaching and you learned a lot. The program is very fixed compared to US or German universities, which is also something not everyone likes. For me, that was an advantage, as I could prove myself that I could also work myself through courses I wouldn't otherwise have picked on my own, and I grew a lot through this experience.It is clear that UM is not for everyone. But if you're motivated, self-reliant, and resource-oriented you can gain a lot from this institution. They ask a little more of you than you might like, and some challenges are just plain unnecessary, but they also work really hard at improving. I also know that UM graduates are highly regarded and able. I doubt that your experience would have differed had you gone to a different Dutch university.
The university college is the best thing that has ever happened to me, for networking and for the high level of education. I am English and could have gone to any of the UK's highest universities but the level of choice at UCM (and the cheaper tuition) drew me towards Maastricht. I am now a student at UvA (University of Amsterdam) and many of my friends are at LSE, Oxbridge, Sciences Po etc, I really hope your son chose UCM, it is by far the greatest educational establishment I have ever been too. I would say the University is particularly hard for people who are not ready to commit everything to their degree (I also had to work almost full time to provide for my living costs) but it is by far the most rewarding and gives you an incredible work ethic for the future and for life beyond Maastricht, the vast majority of my peers are now incredibly successful in their endeavours thanks to the high workload and ambition this university instils in a person, I am sorry to hear the above person did not enjoy it. It is also worth saying that the University College, although part of the university it is it's only unique program for a particular type of person, you must have lots of personal drive to complete it, but it is HIGHLY regarded in academia, you can go to almost anywhere afterwards.
I literally could not agree more. I did a foundation at the University of Kent before coming here and UM is a world apart from it. Honestly, the ‘premium’ you pay in the UK is complete worth it when you compare it to university of Maastricht. 90% of professors do not care on bit about their students. I only get 2 lecture a week from actually professor. Each meant to be 2 hours but they end up be 1.5 hours each. The rest is their ‘PBL’, ‘problem based learning’, which is essentially 2nd year students teaching first year or 3rd years teaching 2nd years. Essentially paying students to teach the year below. Which they called ‘problem based elating’. I get that university in the Netherlands is relatively inexpensive but common. Also, a few of my courses literally have to give extra points assignments cause or else no one passed the exams.. like, does that not sound like a problem in itself.. (QMI, QMII) If you are considering university of Maastricht, I beg you to reconsider Also, the fact that they consider themselves so international is laughable. 60% of all students are German..30%..Dutch... 8% Belgian..1% Italian, the other percent maybe international.
Background info: I have studied Economics at the Maastricht University for around 1,5 years prior to transferring to another top 10 UK institution to purse a degree in Business Administration.

I) INTERNATIONAL FACULTY: This is a straightforward lie. Although The university is even being sued by the Dutch government for having "too many international students" in its faculty, 82% of these students are coming from Germany. Specifically, the NorthRhein Westphalia region consisting of cities such as Aachen, Cologne, Dusseldorf etc... So if you are looking to meet people and have groups of friends from diverse backgrounds, I suggest you re-consider your choice of university. Although many German students can be friendly and accepting, it is commonly known throughout the region that racism towards many occurs on a regular basis.

II) TEACHING STAFF: Other than lecturers that you have the privilege of listening to 2 - 4 times a week, the rest of the classes are held by second year students or above that are not qualified in teaching. They are selected by the department heads depending on their grades, irrespective of their knowledge of the English language or their ability to interact with students and teach them. Worse, there are many instances where tutors have personal relations of a close nature to students simply because they are either friends, or.. you get the gist. To top this, there are certain persons of high staff positions that cannot even spell the names of notable people in the field correctly. Have you heard of Allione Musk ?... the founder of TESLA Motors ?

III) STUDENT-FRIENDLINESS: Well, quite frankly speaking the front desk receptions, student services staff as well as general administration are very helpful and positive when interacting with students in need of assistance. However, when we turn the page to professors and the board of examiners, it is a social graveyard. You want a personal feedback on your exam? Shame. You forgot your student card but they can simply check via the school system and compare to your id to let you sit an exam for which you studied 10 weeks? Shame.You didn't understand a particular subject or topic and you need your tutor's help after the lecture or tutorial? Shame.
Original post by Kayrovsky
Background info: I have studied Economics at the Maastricht University for around 1,5 years prior to transferring to another top 10 UK institution to purse a degree in Business Administration.

I) INTERNATIONAL FACULTY: This is a straightforward lie. Although The university is even being sued by the Dutch government for having "too many international students" in its faculty, 82% of these students are coming from Germany. Specifically, the NorthRhein Westphalia region consisting of cities such as Aachen, Cologne, Dusseldorf etc... So if you are looking to meet people and have groups of friends from diverse backgrounds, I suggest you re-consider your choice of university. Although many German students can be friendly and accepting, it is commonly known throughout the region that racism towards many occurs on a regular basis.

II) TEACHING STAFF: Other than lecturers that you have the privilege of listening to 2 - 4 times a week, the rest of the classes are held by second year students or above that are not qualified in teaching. They are selected by the department heads depending on their grades, irrespective of their knowledge of the English language or their ability to interact with students and teach them. Worse, there are many instances where tutors have personal relations of a close nature to students simply because they are either friends, or.. you get the gist. To top this, there are certain persons of high staff positions that cannot even spell the names of notable people in the field correctly. Have you heard of Allione Musk ?... the founder of TESLA Motors ?

III) STUDENT-FRIENDLINESS: Well, quite frankly speaking the front desk receptions, student services staff as well as general administration are very helpful and positive when interacting with students in need of assistance. However, when we turn the page to professors and the board of examiners, it is a social graveyard. You want a personal feedback on your exam? Shame. You forgot your student card but they can simply check via the school system and compare to your id to let you sit an exam for which you studied 10 weeks? Shame.You didn't understand a particular subject or topic and you need your tutor's help after the lecture or tutorial? Shame.

Do you know if this is the case for University of Amsterdam or Erasmus University Rotterdam? Is there any dutch university that you know is good? My dream was to go to university in the UK, but the government has tripled the tuition fees for EU students and I'd pay, at least, £81,000, in tuition alone, for a degree at a top UK university and we can't access Student Finance either so it's literally impossible for me...
Original post by Anonymous
Do you know if this is the case for University of Amsterdam or Erasmus University Rotterdam? Is there any dutch university that you know is good? My dream was to go to university in the UK, but the government has tripled the tuition fees for EU students and I'd pay, at least, £81,000, in tuition alone, for a degree at a top UK university and we can't access Student Finance either so it's literally impossible for me...

Hey there !

As far as I am concerned, there are two Dutch universities that you should apply to if you to get a really good education, social life, as well as a degree considered world-class. The top one I would say is Tilburg University (For Economics and related social sciences programs). Here the lecturers are always well informed and helpful as well, the campus is located at a more central location where you are 2.5 hours away from Amsterdam and another 2.5 from Brussels. The second best would be University of Amsterdam. Again the name is well known and respected and the campus is just wonderful. You could say it gives out the vibes of a European style Harvard. Massive library, renown lecturers, possibly the craziest (if not the best) night-life and social life in the world. The only issue with this university would be that there are too many distractions around for students that like to socialise more often than average. If you have issues with concentrating or focusing on your goals over long term, you may have to suffer through continuous sadness of having to compromise on personal life and just settle to study for your degree.

As per concerns over finances, I resided in the Netherlands as an undergraduate student with around €600 per month (excluding rent) with a lavish lifestyle. You can definitely enjoy night outs, invest in hobbies, afford a relationship, visit neighbouring countries with less than this amount too. Make sure not to invest in a house bigger than a studio, preferably go for a dorm at year 1

Trust me, in both universities, you would get the dream of attending a top university. Both will provide a very good quality of education as well as a good degree that people deem noteworthy. Better yet, these institutions are accredited world-wide so if one day you decide you really want to attend a school at the UK, you can apply for a transfer with a scholarship if you keep your grades high on your first year at one of these schools. Colleges and Universities at the UK do like to take students from these institutions due to their status in the ranking listings for postgraduate programs too.

Hope it was helpful !
Original post by Kayrovsky
Hey there !

As far as I am concerned, there are two Dutch universities that you should apply to if you to get a really good education, social life, as well as a degree considered world-class. The top one I would say is Tilburg University (For Economics and related social sciences programs). Here the lecturers are always well informed and helpful as well, the campus is located at a more central location where you are 2.5 hours away from Amsterdam and another 2.5 from Brussels. The second best would be University of Amsterdam. Again the name is well known and respected and the campus is just wonderful. You could say it gives out the vibes of a European style Harvard. Massive library, renown lecturers, possibly the craziest (if not the best) night-life and social life in the world. The only issue with this university would be that there are too many distractions around for students that like to socialise more often than average. If you have issues with concentrating or focusing on your goals over long term, you may have to suffer through continuous sadness of having to compromise on personal life and just settle to study for your degree.

As per concerns over finances, I resided in the Netherlands as an undergraduate student with around €600 per month (excluding rent) with a lavish lifestyle. You can definitely enjoy night outs, invest in hobbies, afford a relationship, visit neighbouring countries with less than this amount too. Make sure not to invest in a house bigger than a studio, preferably go for a dorm at year 1

Trust me, in both universities, you would get the dream of attending a top university. Both will provide a very good quality of education as well as a good degree that people deem noteworthy. Better yet, these institutions are accredited world-wide so if one day you decide you really want to attend a school at the UK, you can apply for a transfer with a scholarship if you keep your grades high on your first year at one of these schools. Colleges and Universities at the UK do like to take students from these institutions due to their status in the ranking listings for postgraduate programs too.

Hope it was helpful !

Thank you so much! It's definitely a huge help!
I've been quite sad, ever since the British government announced EU students would pay International tuition fees (which, like I said are around £80,000). Then I turned to dutch universities, although I was under the impression (apparently ignorantly so) that they wouldn't be recognised as top universities in the UK and I wouldn't be given a chance by top UK employees. When I saw this thread, I felt even more down, because I thought that maybe this was the case for the other highly ranked universities in the Netherlands (again, I was wrong) and my dream of studying hard in high school to get into a renowned university was over...

I will definitely check those universities out! Thank you, again, so much for taking your time to answer, you've helped me tremendously and I feel so much better now!
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much! It's definitely a huge help!
I've been quite sad, ever since the British government announced EU students would pay International tuition fees (which, like I said are around £80,000). Then I turned to dutch universities, although I was under the impression (apparently ignorantly so) that they wouldn't be recognised as top universities in the UK and I wouldn't be given a chance by top UK employees. When I saw this thread, I felt even more down, because I thought that maybe this was the case for the other highly ranked universities in the Netherlands (again, I was wrong) and my dream of studying hard in high school to get into a renowned university was over...

I will definitely check those universities out! Thank you, again, so much for taking your time to answer, you've helped me tremendously and I feel so much better now!

No worries ! let me know if there are any other questions relating to the topic and hope you manage to get into a place where you feel comfortable :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending