The Student Room Group

Year 11 mocks 2017-2018

How has everyone done in their gcse mocks? What was your exams like?? I have my mocks starting in a few weeks and I'm so scared and unprepared! Stressing sooo much!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sxhxl
How has everyone done in their gcse mocks? What was your exams like?? I have my mocks starting in a few weeks and I'm so scared and unprepared! Stressing sooo much!

I'm starting my mocks in a few weeks too! I'm not that stressed just a little worried! the best things I can say is that you should start revising right now, and don't randomly revise; make a revision timetable in which you've organised what day you have to revise what subject. xx
Original post by Aaliyah1472
I'm starting my mocks in a few weeks too! I'm not that stressed just a little worried! the best things I can say is that you should start revising right now, and don't randomly revise; make a revision timetable in which you've organised what day you have to revise what subject. xx

Sciences, Geography and English are stressing me! I feel so unprepared for them
i just did my mocks before the half term! it was very short notice, and we were all quite unprepared- i didn't really revise, to be honest. all i did was read through my whole cgp revision guides for my sciences, learnt a couple of quotes for english (we only did lit' paper 1), read through some maths notes, and my sociology notes. i pretty much winged spanish and geography, because i didn't really see the point in trying anymore- i do not advise giving up! haha.

but, nonetheless, here are my results;

-maths - 6 and 6
-english- same as above
-chem- 7 and 7
-bio- 5 and 6- overall: 6
-physics- 5 and 7- overall: 6
-sociology- A and A
-geography- 6, 7 and 8 (not sure what the overall was)
-spanish- 7, 5, U (the grade boundaries were purposely set VERY high :frown:)

my aspiration/predicted grades are 8s for everything; these results are quite appalling compared to others' results- my classmates did amazingly- and, also, my predicted grades. we do have another set of mocks in january, so i think i should start preparing now, ahhh :s-smilie:

edit: the science exams were quite hard, but DON'T STRESS! do some specimen papers, from your exam board website, to get a feel for the types of questions/the wording of the questions. also, the mark schemes are veryyyyy specific, it is actually not funny, so make sure you include everything you can.

good luck on your mocks! xxx
(edited 6 years ago)
My mocks are 1 month after half term, and most teachers told us to revise during half term, but im so caught up in coursework that I just can't revise (or I cba making the effort to revise). I hope everyone did well!
Original post by sxhxl

i talked about science in my other reply, but geography will actually not be as hard you're expecting! some of it is actually common sense- just make sure you know a bit of background info i=on the topics; i went into the physical exam knowing only about plate margins, but when you see the questions, everything kind of comes to you.
also, are you doing all four english papers? x
Original post by lanababe78
i talked about science in my other reply, but geography will actually not be as hard you're expecting! some of it is actually common sense- just make sure you know a bit of background info i=on the topics; i went into the physical exam knowing only about plate margins, but when you see the questions, everything kind of comes to you.
also, are you doing all four english papers? x

I'm only doing English lit paper 1 which is on Pride and Prejudice and Romeo and Juliet, the two I struggle most with! x
Original post by lanababe78
i just did my mocks before the half term! it was very short notice, and we were all quite unprepared- i didn't really revise, to be honest. all i did was read through my whole cgp revision guides for my sciences, learnt a couple of quotes for english (we only did lit' paper 1), read through some maths notes, and my sociology notes. i pretty much winged spanish and geography, because i didn't really see the point in trying anymore- i do not advise giving up! haha.

but, nonetheless, here are my results;

-maths - 6 and 6
-english- same as above
-chem- 7 and 7
-bio- 5 and 6- overall: 6
-physics- 5 and 7- overall: 6
-sociology- A and A
-geography- 6, 7 and 8 (not sure what the overall was)
-spanish- 7, 5, U (the grade boundaries were purposely set VERY high :frown:)

my aspiration/predicted grades are 8s for everything; these results are quite appalling compared to others' results- my classmates did amazingly- and, also, my predicted grades. we do have another set of mocks in january, so i think i should start preparing now, ahhh :s-smilie:

edit: the science exams were quite hard, but DON'T STRESS! do some specimen papers, from your exam board website, to get a feel for the types of questions/the wording of the questions. also, the mark schemes are veryyyyy specific, it is actually not funny, so make sure you include everything you can.

good luck on your mocks! xxx

Any tips for Geography? I find geography easy but the exam questions are worded so differently and they really confuse me on what I'm supposed to be answering! Are you doing AQA for sciences??
Original post by sxhxl
Any tips for Geography? I find geography easy but the exam questions are worded so differently and they really confuse me on what I'm supposed to be answering! Are you doing AQA for sciences??

in the geography exam, look out for command words such as 'evaluate', 'describe', etc. if it says 'evaluate', then make sure you give advantages and disadvantages- it is a must for evaluation questions.
if it says, 'using figure 2', for example, makes sure you use the data/information in it- i forgot to do that in so many questions!
also, if you just forget all your case studies, like i did, put some general statements; for example, for any natural disaster, you could say: there was loss of life, infrastructure was damaged, people were left homeless, there was a lack of food and water, etc- you should pick up some marks for that.
also, MAKE SURE YOU CATEGORISE ANY EFFECTS! i completely forgot to this, and lost sooo many marks! say whether it is a social, economic, environmental, or (sometimes) political effect.
in 9 mark questions, you can get up to 3 extra marks for SPAG, so make sure that is perfect! you also need to use the correct terminology to get all 3 SPAG marks.

i feel like i rambled on there, i'm really sorry if i didn't answer you question properly :frown:

also, yes i am doing AQA science xx
Original post by sxhxl
I'm only doing English lit paper 1 which is on Pride and Prejudice and Romeo and Juliet, the two I struggle most with! x

i'm doing jekyll and hyde, and the merchant of venice, and i find them the hardest, too! i'd recommend watching mr bruff's videos on romeo and juliet, but i'm not sure he does pride and prejudice :frown: i'd suggest possibly looking for a cgp or york notes revision guide for both books, if you can xx
Original post by sxhxl

that's so relatable, for English; when you have time revise what your struggling with and watch mr bruff's videos. (he is really annoying, but he helps) and for science make mind maps, that's whats helped me. hope it works for you too.
hi guys, please make sure to check out my other thread for year 11's! https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5031230&p=74390202#post74390202
does anyone know the questions asked for the poet or the inspector calls for the mocks?
I got an 8 in the sciences
6 eng lan
5 eng lit
7 maths
7 geog
6 french
A ict
B business studies
4 in rs... not becoming a vicar so all goooood
C further maths
8s and 9s in every subject except Biology and German. I got a 7 in German and an X in biology (5/160 UMS).
Original post by sxhxl

From the November mocks I got:

English Language-5 (one mark off a 6)
Combined Science-6
Sociology-B
Childcare-C
Maths-4
Spanish-4
English lit(didnt do a lang exam) 8
Maths 8
Rs 7
Business A
French 6
Geography 7
Biology 6
Chemistry 7
Physics 6
ICT C
Original post by wills21
I got an 8 in the sciences
6 eng lan
5 eng lit
7 maths
7 geog
6 french
A ict
B business studies
4 in rs... not becoming a vicar so all goooood
C further maths

how did you revise for sciences? It'd be v much appreciated if you gave some tips!
I did half decent I suppose. But there were quite a few disappointments and a few nights spent crying because at how high our school set the grade boundaries for MFL

Eng Lang/Lit - 7/7 (Kind of disappointed in Lit, especially paper 2 considering I learnt the perfect poem to compare valentine with and basically learnt everything i possibly could about Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde)

Maths - 7 (A few marks off an 8, which is my target, so quite happy)

French - 6

German - 6 (Although I got nearly 75% in both - considering we haven't finished the spec in neither french or german, this is somehow still a 6 lmfao. Anyone have the same problem?)

Business - A*

RS - 9

Biology - 7

Physics - 5 (flopped on a whole new level tbh)

Chemistry - 8

it's definitely a mixture to say the least. but definitely hoping to improve for the 2nd set.
I got the following:

French: 8
English Lit: 7
English Lan: 6
Maths: 4
Biology: 7
Chemistry: 4
Physics: 5
German: U (you need 50% for a grade, I was 5% off apparently)
History: 8
Geography: 6

If you do enough revision you should be fine. I didn't revise that much.

Quick Reply

Latest