The Student Room Group

Natural Science at Cambridge

Hi, I was wondering if an A at GCSE Further Maths (instead of an A*) could prevent me from getting into Cambridge to study natural science? If it helps it was a high A, only a mark or two off the A*, and I have an A* at GCSE Maths.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I was wondering if an A at GCSE Further Maths (instead of an A*) could prevent me from getting into Cambridge to study natural science? If it helps it was a high A, only a mark or two off the A*, and I have an A* at GCSE Maths.

Cambridge won't discount you based upon that one grade A - as they look at your application holistically. However, it may mean that you need to perform better in other areas of the application process to offset this "blemish". For example, during the Natural Sciences Admissions Assessment (NSAA) or at interview.

To put things into context, from their Natural Sciences Entry Requirements, here, (with my added emphasis):

"Natural Sciences (Biological)
For 2017, 2018 and 2019 entry, the majority of entrants from an A Level background achieved at least grades A*A*A* (76% of entrants).
Natural Sciences (Physical)
For 2017, 2018 and 2019 entry, the majority of entrants from an A Level background achieved at least grades A*A*A* (91% of entrants)."

That was several years ago.
That is true as @DataVenia said for A-levels. However they care much less about GCSEs and I would suspect a lot of applicants would not have done GCSE further maths as it isn't offered everywhere, so I wouldn't worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending