The Student Room Group

Is Sexual orientation a choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolCavy
If lifestyle did affect it that doesnt make it a choice so idk why you are treating it as two separate binaries. If someone grows up with bad lung function because they happen to live in a polluted area that isnt a choice on their part. Lots of things happen in life that people cant control and which affect everything from physical and mental health.
Idk if the way someone lives or is brought up affects it or if it is genetic. Tbh i think it is an irrelevant point anyway as life conditions dont = choice (therefore 'bad' because that is what people insinuate) and genetics dont = no choice ('good' because it's not their 'fault')
I did not choose to be gay just as you did not choose to be straight. They are both sexual orientations and to suggest that you can not choose one but choose the other is illogical.

That makes sense now. Sorry i didn't mean to say you chose to be gay (eventhough i did say so earlier) because you're right - the way you live/lifestyle isn't (always) a choice, so if it affects your sexual orientation then it isn't a choice either :/
What I mean to say is that you're not born gay.... (but then i guess we're not born straight either?) but either way it's not a choice, i get the point :tongue:

Edit: i did say 'maybe it's not a choice then. Lifestyle?' meaning i agreed it wasn't a choice, was saying that lifestyle affects your sexual orientation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Sexual orientation is made up of a number of things, including attraction, identity and behaviour - 'thought and word and deed'.

What you're attracted to: not a choice.
What you call yourself: a choice.
What sex you have: (should be) a choice.

Why do you care what is behind the sexual orientation of other people?
Original post by LunaCat
That makes sense now. Sorry i didn't mean to say you chose to be gay (eventhough i did say so earlier) because you're right - the way you live/lifestyle isn't (always) a choice, so if it affects your sexual orientation then it isn't a choice either :/
What I mean to say is that you're not born gay.... (but then i guess we're not born straight either?) but either way it's not a choice, i get the point :tongue:

that's reasonable, sorry if i seemed overkill this thread has just been done to death on tsr :tongue:
Reply 23
I don't believe in sexual orientation at all I just think people are what they are if that makes sense? If someone's attracted to dogs then they were always going to be? People are attracted to anything these days so I don't sexuality exists at all to be honest I think it's all nature and freedom.
Original post by CoolCavy
that's reasonable, sorry if i seemed overkill this thread has just been done to death on tsr :tongue:

No it's okay, don't worry. Debating is just not my thing because idk how to express myself :rofl: so i might be wanting to say something and end up typing something else lol
No. Next you will say it is a choice whether to be a man or a woman.
Original post by Glassapple
That's ridiculous, there's no such thing as a gay lifestyle. I don't like stereotypical gay things like musicals etc. I go to school and do things that straight people do. I'm 17 and I'm gay, my parents never encouraged me to read chat magazines, talk in a camp voice or wear make up, nor would I ever choose to do these things. Not every gay, in fact the overwhelming vast majority, do not do these things at all. I play video games, exercise, read, listen to music, I'm not camp, all things that are in the lifestyles of straight people. The stereotypical things are what the media latched onto in the '60s to '90s. These things do not represent the vast majority of gay people at all.

I meant that lifestyle led you to this.
It doesnt make it bad thing anyway, i don't get the point if this thread lol
Original post by G.Y
First of all, identical twins don't have identical genes.
And second of all, biologists say they don't expect to find one 'gay' gene. This is even the case with diseases, usually it's a combination of genes that means someone is born with or prone to develop a particular disease.
It's probaly possible that the combination of genes found to cause diseases have been discovered because of far more time and money spent on researching them.
It's very probable that the exact combination of genes causing homosexuality will be found in the future

Identical twins - who developed from the same fertilized egg - share the same genome. Some genetic changes can occur afterward due to environment and mutation, but it is the extreme genetic similarity between identical twins which makes twin studies so useful in science. The biggest twins studies have shown only a small difference between the likelihood of shared homosexuality occuring between identical and non-identical siblings, with most twins not sharing the same sexuality at all. This alone makes it very difficult to come to the conclusion that homosexuality is purely genetic. The differences are too large.

Secondly, I never said there would be one gay gene, so you've created a strawman there. Then you make an assessment of the probability of a genetic combination causing homosexuality being found and base it entirely on conjecture.

The relationship between homosexuality, genetics and environment has been under investigation for a long time, and the general consensus within the scientific community is that it is most likely some combination of environment and genetics, but the comparative significance of either is simply unknown.
Reply 28
Original post by Dandaman1
Identical twins - who developed from the same fertilized egg - share the same genome. Some genetic changes can occur afterward due to environment and mutation, but it is the extreme genetic similarity between identical twins which makes twin studies so useful in science. The biggest twins studies have shown only a small difference between the likelihood of shared homosexuality occuring between identical and non-identical siblings, with most twins not sharing the same sexuality at all. This alone makes it very difficult to come to the conclusion that homosexuality is purely genetic. The differences are too large.

Secondly, I never said there would be one gay gene, so you've created a strawman there. Then you make an assessment of the probability of a genetic combination causing homosexuality being found and base it entirely on conjecture.

The relationship between homosexuality, genetics and environment has been under investigation for a long time, and the general consensus within the scientific community is that it is most likely some combination of environment and genetics, but the comparative significance of either is simply unknown.

lol are you really trying to deny that more time and money has been spent on researching genes to do with disease rather than homosexuality?
It isn't a choice, but in all honesty, I don't know how I am gay.
Original post by G.Y
lol are you really trying to deny that more time and money has been spent on researching genes to do with disease rather than homosexuality?

I never said that either. Strike two.

But let's not pretend as though psychologists and geneticists haven't been conducting research on this for decades.
Reply 31
I never said that either. Strike two.

But let's not pretend as though psychologists and geneticists haven't been conducting research on this for decades.

"Then you make an assessment of the probability of a genetic combination causing homosexuality being found and base it entirely on conjecture."

That sure sounded like you were so no strikes here :smile:
Original post by G.Y
"Then you make an assessment of the probability of a genetic combination causing homosexuality being found and base it entirely on conjecture."

That sure sounded like you were so no strikes here :smile:

I don't even know what you are trying to say here. I didn't base anything on conjecture. Everything I said was in line with (and based on) what the medical and psychiatric community generally has to say about the causes of homosexuality.
Original post by LunaCat
10% genetics, 90% choice. I would have said 100% choice/ lifestyle but we can never be sure...

i didnt choose to be bisexual, nor did my upbringing contribute towards it
Original post by shawtyb
i didnt choose to be bisexual, nor did my upbringing contribute towards it

Yh sorry. Idk much about it
But whichever is it, you will have the right to be whatever you want. Doesn't make it wrong for you.
Reply 35
Woah Woah Woah , back up a sec.
so you have just given some pretty solid evidence of sexuality not being a choice, then say you actually believe it's a choice? logic not your best quality then??

anyway, as a lesbian, I can certainly say it's no choice. no way i would have chosen this - as much as it pains me to say it, some of the lads in my form at school are homophobic. i would NEVER have chosen this. no way.

but, I can't change your opinion. if thats what you think, you are entitled to your own thoughts. human rights and all that. but I don't think it is, i didn't choose my sexuality (if i were gonna choose, I'd choose bi or pan but I'm just repulsed by the idea of just... guys) and so I'm almost CERTAIN its no choice.

Hope this was of some help,
keira Xx
Reply 36
I don't even know what you are trying to say here. I didn't base anything on conjecture. Everything I said was in line with (and based on) what the medical and psychiatric community generally has to say about the causes of homosexuality.

Loool no I'm quoting you. That's what you said to me.
Original post by The PoliticalGuy

I personally believe you choose to be what you want, straight, bi or gay.

Does that mean you have tried it all and decided one way or the other based on your experiences? After all, isn't that what choice is? Take food for example. You try lots of different foods but when presented with a choice, you choose those you enjoy the most.

Personally I would disagree. As a straight man, I have never even considered being gay. It doesn't appeal in the slightest. I get turned on by women, not men. Similarly, all of my gay friends knew from a very young age they were gay. They just weren't attracted to the opposite sex. They don't get turned on by the opposite sex.
(edited 6 years ago)
I believe its a choice because you don't have to be in a relationship and could actually live a life single although occasionally a stick may point up however nothing is making you go up to him/her as it is entirely your choice.

To be honest, I don't like the word gay or lesbian or bi or straight because in a sense that word separates beings into different categories. Which that leaves me to say, how do you know you're truly this sexual orientation when there could be that individual who I or you may admire that makes my or your main attraction to change. I believe there is always that one person to change our minds and which is why I don't admit the 'G' word because again, there may be that one person. No one is truly anything unless you, yourself accept it and therefore I believe it is a choice.

Overall my preference is that I like men in the sexual way and wish to be with one when I grow up and can grow with and that is my personal choice. Just like 'straight' individual where they hope to be with a woman.
what is “straight”?
what is “gay”?
these labels and categories are wholly a product of society, do you think any other species categorises themselves in such a way?

we're all different and unique in our own way, as cliché as I know that sounds. but relationship and attraction is more than just “sex”, so in that sense, our “sexuality” is broader than just who we are turned on by.

I know I'm “gay”, in the sense that I am sexually attracted to the same sex. but that's not to say that I haven't felt deeper, stronger emotions for that of the opposite sex. as much as we don't want to think it is, sexuality and friendship are inextricably linked. we just choose to differentiate between the two and compartmentalise ourselves just to create some sort of “order” and reinforce an age old system of hierarchy, as macklemore once said, gay is a word “synonymous with the lesser” - and why is that? because we created it ourselves!

so in this respect, yes, sexuality is a choice. but a choice of society as a whole, who choose to commit labels to each citizen, who choose to make the assumption that we're all “straight”, and who choose to reinforce an archaic, outdated and ultimately false ideology which stems from years of ignorance.

sexuality, sex, friendship, family, love, and attraction - these aren't individual feelings or ideas, they are as natural and unique as the very DNA which has made you.

life - it really isn't a “one size fits all”

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending