The Student Room Group

Why do you dislike immigration?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 27FT
That's just stupid. Many immigrants speak English to a high degree as well. My father was an immigrant and you wouldn't realise that he's not a native speaker. A Polish girl I'm friends with moved to England a couple years ago and she speaks English very well, although she has a slight American accent as they taught her American English in Poland. People shouldn't stereotype all immigrants.

Oh no I realised you were being sarcastic I was just further cementing your point by saying many immigrants speak English just as well as natives if not better than them :smile: I wasn't calling you out or anything
Original post by Bang Outta Order
I don't like many immigrants. The concept of immigration is ok though, if only immigrants and British policies enabling them were better.

How many immigrants have you actually met and sat down and had a chat with though?
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
How many immigrants have you actually met and sat down and had a chat with though?

Wait are you mad? And who even repped this? I'm from Birmingham...everyone on my street is a foreigner... People I encounter everywhere there are. My girlfriend's family is from jamaica. Don't ever judge me. You wanna know how many immigrants I speak to, then read my posts because I quite literally and openly talk about it.

And you're asking me this because why?
Wait are you mad? And who even repped this? I'm from Birmingham...everyone on my street is a foreigner... People I encounter everywhere there are. My girlfriend's family is from jamaica. Don't ever judge me. You wanna know how many immigrants I speak to, then read my posts because I quite literally and openly talk about it.

And you're asking me this because why?

You contributed to a thread and I am doing the same.

I was just asking because a lot of people dislike immigrants without actually taking the time to get to know them. They dislike them for no reason other than the fact they're immigrants so I was trying to figure out if you were one of those people.

I didn't judge you, I asked you a question 🙄
You contributed to a thread and I am doing the same.

I was just asking because a lot of people dislike immigrants without actually taking the time to get to know them. They dislike them for no reason other than the fact they're immigrants so I was trying to figure out if you were one of those people.

I didn't judge you, I asked you a question 🙄

k

Again. You're telling me this why. Because if you've read my posts, on full display and availability to you, you'd never have to ask me if I speak to immigrants. You'd never ask a member of colour that.

Literally judging. Bye.

Sorry but that's totally irrelevant. I'm really against mass immigration and I believe in putting as many barriers in place to stop mass immigration. We need high skilled immigration in lower numbers not the suicidal approach of 300,000 net who are in the main lower skilled immigrants. As someone said the Midlands has become a dumping ground particularly areas of Birmingham- if you attempted to speak to them they wouldn't understand you,why? A lot of them can not speak fluent English, this is the problem when you have high levels of immigration not only that concentrating them in areas where there is few white people they are not going to learn English they will speak Punjabi or Polish rather than English if everyone in those areas are speaking foreign languages for example Aston, Small Heath, Saltley, Alum rock.etc
Original post by Stewpid
Sorry but that's totally irrelevant. I'm really against mass immigration and I believe in putting as many barriers in place to stop mass immigration. We need high skilled immigration in lower numbers not the suicidal approach of 300,000 net who are in the main lower skilled immigrants. As someone said the Midlands has become a dumping ground particularly areas of Birmingham- if you attempted to speak to them they wouldn't understand you,why? A lot of them can not speak fluent English, this is the problem when you have high levels of immigration not only that concentrating them in areas where there is few white people they are not going to learn English they will speak Punjabi or Polish rather than English if everyone in those areas are speaking foreign languages for example Aston, Small Heath, Saltley, Alum rock.etc

Who is going to pay for them to live in a richer area that is highly populated with English people?
Will the English be accommodating of having immigrants as their next door neighbours? Would they even speak to them?
Original post by Stewpid
particularly areas of Birmingham- if you attempted to speak to them they wouldn't understand you,why? A lot of them can not speak fluent English, this is the problem when you have high levels of immigration not only that concentrating them in areas where there is few white people they are not going to learn English they will speak Punjabi or Polish rather than English if everyone in those areas are speaking foreign languages for example Aston, Small Heath, Saltley, Alum rock.etc

thats not my point...

There are a lot of white people in Birmingham all over though, still. And my problem with immigrants isnt the language barrier because they ****ing annoy me for other more important reasons. The nationalists and racists I know dont care what bloody language they speak. I agree her question is irrelevant though.
Original post by cherryred90s
Would they even speak to them?

lol this is the problem right here. Liberals and immigration advocates are too in their feelings.
lol this is the problem right here. Liberals and immigration advocates are too in their feelings.

I’m not in my feelings. It was a simple question
I’m not in my feelings. It was a simple question

lol you are in your feelings. What does it matter if they speak to random strangers? Do you speak to your neighbours? Most people don't in most countries. See minorities complain about "microaggressions." "Oh they dont speak to me when I take the rubbish out :cry2:. They don't wave to me at the shops." You're in your feelings.
Who is going to pay for them to live in a richer area that is highly populated with English people?
Will the English be accommodating of having immigrants as their next door neighbours? Would they even speak to them?

Well I'm English and I'm in a minority in my own estate I have spoken to some on my estate and most blank me I can hold conversation with two on the whole estate my next door neighbour of 11 years still can't speak English. Speaking english should be a minimum requirement if you want to live here
lol you are in your feelings. What does it matter if they speak to random strangers? Do you speak to your neighbours? Most people don't in most countries. See minorities complain about "microaggressions." "Oh they dont speak to me when I take the rubbish out :cry2:. They don't wave to me at the shops." You're in your feelings.

Oh be quiet. I only made that point because he implied that immigrants will learn to speak English if they live near English people. I said that that may not happen since there are many English people who are not in favour of immgration therefore making them less likely to interact with them.
Once again. There’s a difference between not being able to speak English full stop, and not understanding all the nuances and phrases.
Original post by Stewpid
Well I'm English and I'm in a minority in my own estate I have spoken to some on my estate and most blank me I can hold conversation with two on the whole estate my next door neighbour of 11 years still can't speak English. Speaking english should be a minimum requirement if you want to live here

Oh I agree that English should be a requirement, but what I’m saying is that the reason why immigrants mingle with each other is not always necessarily because they can’t be bothered to learn the language but rather that English people don’t want to talk to them
Well, I think there are too many immigrants coming to the UK, and I would like to see a reduction in the number of immigrants moving to the UK to a more manageable figure so that we can control our border as it's putting a strain on the welfare system, and on the NHS. Plus, we also have a housing shortage as we have an extremely high population and we only have a small amount of land on which we can build on.

I would like to see a merit based immigration system. Don't have a problem with immigrants as most of my family are immigrants from the Indian Sub-Continent. But, I do feel embarrassed at some of the behaviour of immigrant communities particularly the South Asian community, and the fact many members of these communities don't make an effort to integrate into mainstream society. Some of my own family members don't even speak proper english, which is really embarrassing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 196
I don't like it when people come here and aren't ready to adapt their culture or learn the language properly, it bugs me sometimes because in some cultures (esp Arab and eastern European ones) they have attitudes and manners which come across as rude, they might not mean it but it can cause communication problems if someone isn't aware it's a culture thing.

Also hate that since 2008 we've had a public sector crisis and the governemnt is keen on making cuts but increasing pressure on such services by not controlling immigration? I'm just not a fan of open immigration in general due to unskilled labour shortages, downwards pressure on wages, increased crime, lack of respect for a community, dependence on government/council support...

I do appreciate immigrants but I just think the recent numbers have been a joke, have caused harmful pressures on public services, wages and housing, and many immigrants struggle to integrate effectively into their community, you see whole towns transformed and ruined since they don't want to do things in respect to the national or community standards/identity but want to do it their own way which often makes places look run down - call me out but I'll gladly show you plently of places that went from being beautiful to run down due to immigration.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Zxyn
I don't like it when people come here and aren't ready to adapt their culture or learn the language properly, it bugs me sometimes because in some cultures (esp Arab and eastern European ones) they have attitudes and manners which come across as rude, they might not mean it but it can cause communication problems if someone isn't aware it's a culture thing.

Also hate that since 2008 we've had a public sector crisis and the governemnt is keen on making cuts but increasing pressure on such services by not controlling immigration? I'm just not a fan of open immigration in general due to unskilled labour shortages, downwards pressure on wages, increased crime, lack of respect for a community, dependence on government/council support...

I do appreciate immigrants but I just think the recent numbers have been a joke, have caused harmful pressures on public services, wages and housing, and many immigrants struggle to integrate effectively into their community, you see whole towns transformed and ruined since they don't want to do things in respect to the national or community standards but want to do it their own way which often makes places look run down - call me out but I'll gladly show you plently of places that went from being beautiful to run down due to immigration.

I do think Britain is potentially at risk of overcrowding. We have the same population as France (within 1 million) yet France is 3 Times bigger.
Reply 198
Original post by Andrew97
I do think Britain is potentially at risk of overcrowding. We have the same population as France (within 1 million) yet France is 3 Times bigger.

Hmm.. I would disagree, although france is bigger, immigration is dense in hot spot areas, ours is fairly spread out across the country (with the exception of london) - we should do more to encourage immigrants to live in smaller cities and other coutries like Wales and Scotland.
I don’t dislike immigration - quite frankly without immigrants our society would collapse because no one would do the jobs that white brits don’t want to do that keep society afloat. But immigration causes tension in communities and makes us more wary of others and less connected. More needs to be done to spread the flow of immigration across the uk and in communities that need workers and more needs to be done to invest in developing countries and to stop bombing/attacking nations because then there would be less incentive for those to leave their native land to look for a better life
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending