The Student Room Group

Is having an 'all black' party racist?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Do they just love New Zealand?
Original post by unknown_usr
Some of my black friends recently had a party - a party which they said and were blatant about being 'all-black'. I couldn't help but think if that was the other way round [i'm white] it would be horrifically racist? Am I the only one thinking this?

If non blacks can blacken up
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by erratic_deus
I'm not saltqueen they can check my IP though! @Kindred will TSR be able to do this?
I'm allegedly another member called "salt queen".

If the higher ups like mods think there may be a dupe account they can look into it somehow. I don't know how cos I'm not a smart smart like them. If people think an account is a dupe or otherwise breaking rules they can report it so it can be looked into. If there is an issues they will deal with it appropriately. :smile:
Original post by Hateocracy
i am convinced you are that catfish @Salt Queen on a dupe account. :toofunny:

I've seen your posts and how defensive you get on a debate forum, then running to your precious report button whenever you don't agree with someone.

Report her for being a sock account.
Don't spread false claims on a site.
Original post by Andrew97
I suggest we all just ignore erratic. It’ll save us all time, currrently it’s like shouting into a cave.

Telling everyone to ignore someone you disagree with is a piss attitude to not coming to a conclusion in a debate.
I don't think having an all black party is racist.
If I see a party that is majority black people and I wanted to come to it and they didn't let me go because of my race, I would say it's discrimination.
Original post by livxwaterman
I don't think having an all black party is racist.
If I see a party that is majority black people and I wanted to come to it and they didn't let me go because of my race, I would say it's discrimination.

I think you're misconstruing "all" and "majority". OP is talking specifically about having a black only party not just one which happens to be mostly black people but realistically anyone can join. The former is 100% racist and discriminatory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dheorl
Dw, same is happening to me. Just go through her posts and report all the off topic ones (most of them at this point) and hopefully it will clean up this thread a bit.

Sure. Thanks for the advice.
Reply 48
I'm predicted an A because that is what my teachers think I'll achieve!

Honey, no-one cares. I'd utterly destroy you in any maths challenge, but that has no bearing to our relative expertise on race issues, and therefore to the discussion at hand.
Original post by Princepieman
I think you're misconstruing "all" and "majority". OP is talking specifically about having a black only party not just one which happens to be mostly black people but realistically anyone can join. The former is 100% racist and discriminatory.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry?
Black people can't be racist.
Reply 50
I'm sorry?

So if a black person sees a Pakistani immigrant and shouts "get out of my country you ****ing lazy Paki" that's not racist???
Original post by Dheorl
So if a black person sees a Pakistani immigrant and shouts "get out of my country you ****ing lazy Paki" that's not racist???

Mate, don’t bother with her. She’s clearly a racist.
Reply 52
Original post by Andrew97
Mate, don’t bother with her. She’s clearly a racist.

Yea, but sometimes it's interesting to see if a racist person can actually back it up with what they think passes for logic.
Reply 53
Yes, it's racist, but it's also understandable. If you're a minority in a culture/nation, you'll never know what it feels like to be one of the majority. An "all black" party in a predominantly white country allows the party-goers a glimpse of the other side. It gives them a sense of power they are denied 99% of the time.

It would be incredible if race no longer mattered to anyone, but the reality is that we are very judgemental creatures. We segregate on race, religion, wealth, social status, dress code, gender, sexual orientation, etc., etc.

At the end of the day, minority racist events like this are not the moral equivalent of the same racist events from a majority culture/race.
I'm sorry?

Yes, they can.

People like you parrot short, quip soundbites that you've heard from others without actually thinking about the words you're saying. You can absolutely be racist no matter what ethnicity you are; no one gets a free pass on discriminating others because people tenuously connected to you (that you've never even met) had it bad in the past.

Doesn't work that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aariez
Yes, it's racist, but it's also understandable. If you're a minority in a culture/nation, you'll never know what it feels like to be one of the majority. An "all black" party in a predominantly white country allows the party-goers a glimpse of the other side. It gives them a sense of power they are denied 99% of the time.

It would be incredible if race no longer mattered to anyone, but the reality is that we are very judgemental creatures. We segregate on race, religion, wealth, social status, dress code, gender, sexual orientation, etc., etc.

At the end of the day, minority racist events like this are not the moral equivalent of the same racist events from a majority culture/race.

They are morally equivalent but different in impact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0lut0
Is the Black Panther movie racist then?

What a 10/10 quality argument you made here. Shame it is completely pointless.
For a film you hire the actors you think are the best fits for the characters you design. At a party you don't hire people you invite people that are your friends. If you don't have friends that are black or white then it isn't racist to have them at your party but specifically segregating a party so the people who are allowed to come are only black or white is racism.

At an open party where anyone can come, stopping a specific group of people is segregation. Sure it isn't hurting anyone but it is still racism.
Original post by Axiomasher
In an ideal world it would be racist but it's not an ideal world. Historically black people have had to deal with all kinds of prejudice, institutional and otherwise, so forming a group to defend themselves makes sense. Superficially it looks like a double standard but a willingness to recognise that some things have important historical contexts, can go a long way.

With respect that’s an utterly *******s response. What you’re saying is that you’re happy to hold black people to a lower level of moral accountability because they’re “victims”. Sorry, this mentality infantilises black people, it does not empower them. Robbing somebody of their moral agency does not help them.
It’s when you make these threads that make me want to hate TSR with a passion..

(5)
Original post by 0lut0
Is the Black Panther movie racist then?

there's two white actors in it so...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending