The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca G
Actually it’s not impossible to say that, because they are real statistics. I’m not applauding any type of violence, I think that both men and women have a responsibility to try and stop it. That’s all I’m saying.

But the cold hard facts are that nearly half of all murdered women in the past year were killed by a spouse or partner, whereas only 5-7% of men were killed by their spouses.

Here’s the link: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/07/homicides-women/534306/

That statistic is different to what you originally stated. It is literally impossible to accurately say that men are responsible for 76% of domestic violence. All the stats can tell us is what has been reported.

I could be violent to my partner right now, but you wouldn't know and it won't be part of your 76% because you don't know about it.

All those murder statistics tell us is the final outcome of one isolated incident of domestic violence. It doesn't tell us if either of the couple were continually violent in the weeks, months or years leading up to it.
Original post by ATC_Mick
If you want to get a clear view on the mind of feminists/women in general, avoid dating apps: Tinder, okcupid, even Bumble are full of accounts that are just pictures and no detailsin the about me section (or just instagram/snapchat details). These women aren't interested in dating, but want the "rush" of having people interested in them. Ideally these apps would remove inactive profiles from the search matrix and notify you if someone "swiped left" with a reason why, say a women wasn't interested because you're under 6 foot (shallow, but that's the dating world) at least you'd know where to improve yourself (or in this case, move on to someone that isn't shallow)

[Generalisation warning] Most women are interested in preferential equality not true equality. Case in point: Car insurance in the UK, a few years ago it was deemed illegal for insurance companies to charge men more than women, so the insurance companies chose to raise the price for women to meet the price that men were charged. This was met with outcry from women, but this was the natural outcome from a companies perspective.

Lol it’s so funny to see you act as if you actually know women
Original post by EpicBrum
That statistic is different to what you originally stated. It is literally impossible to accurately say that men are responsible for 76% of domestic violence. All the stats can tell us is what has been reported.

I could be violent to my partner right now, but you wouldn't know and it won't be part of your 76% because you don't know about it.

All those murder statistics tell us is the final outcome of one isolated incident of domestic violence. It doesn't tell us if either of the couple were continually violent in the weeks, months or years leading up to it.

Either way, what is the point you’re trying to make?

I understand perfectly that we don’t have the full story, meaning there are probably lots more men and women who have been hurt by domestic violence.
But that doesn’t mean that the statistics become irrelevant. All I’m saying is that we should address violence towards both sexes, but also keep in mind that in most cases women are the victims.
Original post by Becca G
Either way, what is the point you’re trying to make?

I understand perfectly that we don’t have the full story, meaning there are probably lots more men and women who have been hurt by domestic violence.
But that doesn’t mean that the statistics become irrelevant. All I’m saying is that we should address violence towards both sexes, but also keep in mind that in most cases women are the victims.

I'm just saying you probably shouldn't state statistics as though they are facts when they are not facts.

It's similar to sexual harassment. If you go by what is reported it would be easy to think that it's only women that suffer sexual harassment, but the reality is men are also sexually harassed, it just goes unreported.

Official statistics only tell one side of a very different story.
Original post by Unknown-99
Feminism is stupid

You’re stupid
Original post by snowman77
This is what I don't understand about the modern day gender equality/feminism movement. They want equality in some areas, but other areas they are happy for things to stay the same as long as they receive the benefit.

Women want equal treatment in the workplace with their male colleagues. They want equal pay (FWIW the gender pay gap is a myth - same job for same hours get paid the same, otherwise it's illegal), they don't want to experience sexual harassment in the workplace (what about all the false accusations which ruin men's careers?), they want the same opportunities men have, they want equal opportunities for promotion (despite many of them taking time off for maternity leave).

This is all fair enough. Except they don't want equality in dating. Men are still expected to:

- ask the woman out and face possible rejection (women might give subtle hints, but under no circumstances will they ask the man out - that is "his job":wink:
- pay for the first date (and possible subsequent dates as well)
- propose to the woman
- treat her with meals/gifts
- hold open the door for her
- give up his coat if she's cold, so he can freeze (but never the other way around)
- put the majority of effort into sex (this is centered around pleasing the woman - the man's enjoyment is always assumed)
- be manly and dominant, never show any weak emotions, keep his problems bottled up because otherwise it's "unmanly"
- household chores must now be shared. Women no longer have to do all the cooking and cleaning, it's shared equally between men, because otherwise it's gender discrimination/oppression. Despite the fact men are still seen as the primary breadwinner in the household and a man without a job is a virtual disaster.

So back to the original question: Why do women want gender equality in the workplace (and indeed many other areas), but not in dating? I'm interested to hear to views of men, women and any feminists.

Some men expect women to go out to work but also to wait on them.
Original post by Becca G
You’re stupid

Feminism isn't about equality it's about male bashing. Feminists say that they want to be treated the same as men but they aren't willing to do things that are expected of men. You can't just pick and choose the areas you want to be treated as equals in. I'm not talking about the gender pay gap here because obviously people should be paid the same regardless of gender but if for example a woman hit a man shouldn't it then be ok for the man to defend himself and hit her back? Why is it ok for women to hit men but not vice versa? If feminists want equality surely they would have no problems with men defending themselves against women right? I'm not saying I would hit a woman but it's just an example. I've got no problem with women fighting for equal pay and what not but some of the things these idiotic feminists campaign for are just stupid.
Original post by username3750700
You seemed to have missed the point. This isnt a matter of "Rights" you silly entitled man.

We have a choice in who we date. And if an attractive woman holds the cards, she'd optimise that by getting the ideal person for her. You even got some stuff completely wrong. If you've ever gotten with a woman, you'd know that they are just as keen on pleasuring you. Same with emotional stuff, many women love open men.

You cannot tell anyone what they want and dont want. Preferences isnt something bitter men like you can dictate.

As others have said, all you want is a submissive woman you can control.

YOU are the one who's missed my point.

Christ, you’ve totally missed OP’s point. Shut the **** up about and stop going on about virgins you insecure cubt. The point is about gender equality, and how on some cases women don’t adhere to it, such as when it comes to paying the bill on a first date, amongst other things. This is nothing to do with being a virgin or being a frustrated ugly man. You reek of insecurity to keep on bringing this up. Read the first post again and stick on topic in future.
Original post by Unknown-99
Feminism isn't about equality it's about male bashing. Feminists say that they want to be treated the same as men but they aren't willing to do things that are expected of men. You can't just pick and choose the areas you want to be treated as equals in. I'm not talking about the gender pay gap here because obviously people should be paid the same regardless of gender but if for example a woman hit a man shouldn't it then be ok for the man to defend himself and hit her back? Why is it ok for women to hit men but not vice versa? If feminists want equality surely they would have no problems with men defending themselves against women right? I'm not saying I would hit a woman but it's just an example. I've got no problem with women fighting for equal pay and what not but some of the things these idiotic feminists campaign for are just stupid.

Funny how whenever we are talking about equality, the issue of beating women ALWAYS comes up. Always.
Ppl are already beating women mate, the point is that we want them to stop. Being able to hit a woman in comparison with women wanting equal reproductive rights, equal opportunities and no bias are not the same thing, because beating women isn’t a right. Can’t we just stop all violence towards each other? I’m all for self defense, really. But it’s hard to believe that women are the most violent out of the two genders, when all mass shooters, violent criminals and serial offenders are men.
I understand that there are feminists who believe all men should die, bla bla bla but if so, they aren’t real feminists. Literally all real feminists want is political, social and economic equality. And what some might see as ‘picking and choosing’ is actually us addressing that some groups of people (women, LGBT, black, hispanic, etc.) need a little more help getting there than other groups (white straight men). I’m not saying that men don’t have problems, they have plenty like higher suicide rates, toxic masculinity, etc. But even then, it seems as if feminism is the only movement actually trying to help guys and shed light on their problems too.

So excuse me if I call someone stupid when they say that feminism is stupid, because it has helped so many women of all sexualities and nationalities and even men too, to gain equal rights, opportunities and safety.
Original post by DavidJES
Christ, you’ve totally missed OP’s point. Shut the **** up about and stop going on about virgins you insecure cubt. The point is about gender equality, and how on some cases women don’t adhere to it, such as when it comes to paying the bill on a first date, amongst other things. This is nothing to do with being a virgin or being a frustrated ugly man. You reek of insecurity to keep on bringing this up. Read the first post again and stick on topic in future.

The guy who first started this thread went on an entire rant about how *****y and privileged women are, so allow me to do the same right back.
No, actually she rlly hasn’t missed the point. You’re acting as if needing women to pay on the first date is just as important as real problems women are facing, like gender bias in all work fields, being expected to constantly be polite and happy towards men, and the increasing amount of violence towards women. Oh, you’re worried that a woman won’t pay the bill on the first date? Usually women are worried that a guy will kill/rape them on the first date. That’s the comparison mate.
I’m not even joking, you have no f***ing clue what it’s like. So how about you shut the hell up, learn how to spell, and actually try to empathise for once.
Because the whiny little guy who started this whole debate is rlly not doing anything for your cause. It just shows that women cannot try to have equality without some privileged little army of Menininsts coming to the rescue. Quit acting like you know women’s experiences and leave us alone.
Original post by Becca G
The guy who first started this thread went on an entire rant about how *****y and privileged women are, so allow me to do the same right back.
No, actually she rlly hasn’t missed the point. You’re acting as if needing women to pay on the first date is just as important as real problems women are facing, like gender bias in all work fields, being expected to constantly be polite and happy towards men, and the increasing amount of violence towards women. Oh, you’re worried that a woman won’t pay the bill on the first date? Usually women are worried that a guy will kill/rape them on the first date. That’s the comparison mate.
I’m not even joking, you have no f***ing clue what it’s like. So how about you shut the hell up, learn how to spell, and actually try to empathise for once.
Because the whiny little guy who started this whole debate is rlly not doing anything for your cause. It just shows that women cannot try to have equality without some privileged little army of Menininsts coming to the rescue. Quit acting like you know women’s experiences and leave us alone.

My point is pretty simple. Stick to the topic of the original post and stop trying to make this about you and your issues. You are clearly another sexually frustrated woman, but I’m not going to get into that and stoop to your level. Focus on the topic or pipe down.
...So back to the original question...

You could avoid your frustrations by abandoning the pursuit of real women and embrace inflatable ones, I understand they don't give you any back chat and will do everything you want with a permanent 'smile' on their face.
...pipe down.

Yes Becca, pipe down, the men are talking.
My point is pretty simple. Stick to the topic of the original post and stop trying to make this about you and your issues. You are clearly another sexually frustrated woman, but I’m not going to get into that and stoop to your level. Focus on the topic or pipe down.

‘Focus on the topic’ says the self righteous prick who then goes on to assume I’m ‘sexually frustrated”. Look I know I’m incredibly sexy, but that’s not why I’m frustrated. I’m pissed off at guys like you who believe women can’t talk about their genuine problems, but then feel entitled enough to assert their opinion.
I could easily make a joke about your tiny d*ck size but hey, I’m not gonna ‘stoop to your level’. Pls just f**k off already.
Original post by Axiomasher
Yes Becca, pipe down, the men are talking.

With the way this thread is going I genuinely don’t know if you’re joking or not. Either way I’m done with this **** 👋
Original post by Wired_1800
Murder of a murderer? Nobody is committing murder. The state is taking the life of someone who killed another person.

Taking a life is literally a murder though
Plenty. I've had women who showed me loads of interest one week, then the next didn't even acknowledge my existence.

Sometimes I have to feed my neighbour's pet cat while they are away on holiday. The cat is very friendly when I'm feeding it, but once the owner is back, it doesn't even acknowledge my existence.

Girls are the same - if you're providing them with money, good sex (emphasis on good), you are high status or very good looking, they will show you plenty of interest. Once they get bored or someone better comes along, you are no more important than a piece of dirt on their shoe. It's happened to me before and also to guys I know.

It goes from one extreme (really liking you) to the other extreme (not even caring that you exist).

Maybe they just don’t like you anymore? That does happen in case you were unaware
Original post by Becca G
With the way this thread is going I genuinely don’t know if you’re joking or not. Either way I’m done with this **** 👋

This forum, like many others, is routinely used as a place for angry young men to vent their sexual frustrations in the form of attacks on 'feminists' and women more generally (often including reference to liberals, leftists, indeed anything that isn't exactly what they identify as). Wherever possible they will include some 'laddish' slapping of each other on the back as part of the routine. They often start off using restrained language and sounding reasonable enough but if you don't agree with them they will turn on you and quickly descend into the more obvious language of the misogynist. Some of them in time will move on with their attitudes, some of them won't, the world will still turn and babies will still be born.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Axiomasher
This forum, like many others, is routinely used as a place for angry young men to vent their sexual frustrations in the form of attacks on 'feminists' and women more generally (often including reference to liberals, leftists, indeed anything that isn't exactly what they identify as). Wherever possible they will include some 'laddish' slapping of each other on the back as part of the routine. They often start off using restrained language and sounding reasonable enough but if you don't agree with them they will turn on you and quickly descend into the more obvious language of the misogynist. Some of them in time will move on with their attitudes, some of them won't, the world will still turn and babies will still be born.

THANKYOU to the only other person on this thread who actually has brain cells.
Original post by EqualitySloth
Taking a life is literally a murder though

I have explained this point before.

The death penalty acts as a deterrent and a solution for one-time situations and stone-cold killers. If someone kills another person and denies them the opportunity to live, laugh and grow old, why should we give them their life and play happy family.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending