The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
For the last time to clear it up: I AM NOT AFRAID OF REJECTION. I JUST WANT THE GUY TO ASK ME OUT FIRST.

Why should he?
For the last time to clear it up: I AM NOT AFRAID OF REJECTION. I JUST WANT THE GUY TO ASK ME OUT FIRST.

Would you ever ask a man out? What type of guy would you meet and be pushed to ask him out?

You seem to have double standards and have shown it throughout this thread.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Why should he?

It's a personal preference. Guys are allowed t have some certain standards in relationships. Why can't we? I want a guy that is confident not a guy that is "scared" to ask out women. If he is scared to ask me out then the relationship will most likely not work.
Original post by Wired_1800
Would you ever ask a man out? What type of guy would you meet and be pushed to ask him out?

Because I don't want to ask out a guy first. What I find hilarious is guys are allowed to have any standards they want. I remember on one of my threads when guys were saying they weren't ever going to date a women that slept with "x" amount of men and guys were literally insulting me when I asked them why not, they were telling me it's none of my business. Men don't want to date women with short hair, women that are darker than them etc. - No one says anything or say that they are shallow. But the minute I want a guy to ask me out... or want so and so from a guy I am rejecting feminism, I am now showing double standards. It's absolutely ridiculous. So why can't I have a personal preference?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by arcadiabae
It’s crazy to me as a women that some people expect others to pay for their dinner, especially on a first date. Just pay for your own food 🤨

Ngl the person who asks the other out should be the one to pay..and it’s usually the guy
Original post by cherryred90s
Ngl the person who asks the other out should be the one to pay..and it’s usually the guy

I don't agree with that.

If I ask my mates if they fancy coming on a night out I wouldn't be expected to pay for them. Why would it be different if it's a date?

How about we just don't call it a date, is it ok then?

We all have double standards, there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm quite a skinny guy but there's not a chance I would go out with a skinny girl but obviously I expect her to like skinny guys. It's all about preference.

Because I don't want to ask out a guy first. What I find hilarious is guys are allowed to have any standards they want. I remember on one of my threads when guys were saying they weren't ever going to date a women that slept with "x" amount of men and guys were literally insulting me when I asked them why not, they were telling me it's none of my business. Men don't want to date women with short hair, women that are darker than them etc. - No one says anything or say that they are shallow. But the minute I want a guy to ask me out... or want so and so from a guy I am rejecting feminism, I am now showing double standards. It's absolutely ridiculous. So why can't I have a personal preference?

I agree with you and I think some men are shallow and hypocrites. However, i dont think women should be hypocrites as well, just because men are so.

For me, I do not mind the women’s race, whether she is black, white, asian, indian or Latin. It does not matter to me. As long as she is attractive, with a great personality and strong character, then it is fine. However, i would not date a woman that has slept with many men. It is just a personal preference because I see women like those to have weak character. I have gotten destroyed for this opinion, but I still stand by it.

Having written the above, I am more of a long-term relationship type of guy, i don't really do the whole one-night stand or quick turnaround kind of thing. So i would not want my woman to be that crazy imo.

To your point, i struggle to understand how you can be a self-professed feminist with all the extras then select sections of inequality that you are fine with. You basically want equality in certain areas then are happy with traditional roles in others. I think that is double standards.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by EpicBrum

I'm quite a skinny guy but there's not a chance I would go out with a skinny girl but obviously I expect her to like skinny guys. It's all about preference.

Thank you!

It is not good to have double standards, it is called hypocrisy. You basically have a set of rules for yourself and another set for others. Standards like this are why society is failing to progress
(edited 6 years ago)
I don't agree with that.

If I ask my mates if they fancy coming on a night out I wouldn't be expected to pay for them. Why would it be different if it's a date?

Friends and a potential partner are different though.

I don't expect a man to pay for me personally. But don't think it's the same thing.
I agree with you and I think some men are shallow and hypocrites. However, i dont think women should be hypocrites as well, just because men are so.

For me, I do not mind the women’s race, whether she is black, white, asian, indian or Latin. It does not matter to me. As long as she is attractive, with a great personality and strong character, then it is fine. However, i would not date a woman that has slept with many men. It is just a personal preference because I see women like those to have weak character. I have gotten destroyed for this opinion, but I still stand by it.

Having written the above, I am more of a long-term relationship type of guy, i don't really do the whole one-night stand or quick turnaround kind of thing. So i would not want my woman to be that crazy imo.

To your point, i struggle to understand how you can be a self-professed feminist with all the extras then select sections of inequality that you are fine with. You basically want equality in certain areas then are happy with traditional roles in others. I think that is double standards.

LOL yes, that's you. There with this thread a while back where guys were saying they weren't date "x" women or women that had so and so. It's fine for guys to pick and choose though, right?

Okay so you won't date a women that sleeps around because it shows she is "weak" and many guys think like that but women are not allowed to question it. But say you want a guy that asks you out first because it shows he is confident and really wants you it's now double standards.

I see it as a preference. I haven't said it's wrong for a guy and wait for a women to make he first move but it's just my preference for a guy to ask me out first. I am perfectly allowed to say that and it's not rejecting feminism.
It is not good to have double standards, it is called hypocrisy. You basically have a set of rules for yourself and another set for others. Standards like this are why society is failing to progress

People are allowed to want what they want in relationships and people need to accept that is part of life. The quicker we accept it the better.
I don't agree with that.

Its not different if it’s a date. If you tell your friend or someone you like ‘I want to take you out to dinner’ then you should pay.
‘Fancy coming on a night out’ isnt really the same. This sounds more like you’re not really bothered if they say no
Original post by snowman77
This is what I don't understand about the modern day gender equality/feminism movement. They want equality in some areas, but other areas they are happy for things to stay the same as long as they receive the benefit.

Women want equal treatment in the workplace with their male colleagues. They want equal pay (FWIW the gender pay gap is a myth - same job for same hours get paid the same, otherwise it's illegal), they don't want to experience sexual harassment in the workplace (what about all the false accusations which ruin men's careers?), they want the same opportunities men have, they want equal opportunities for promotion (despite many of them taking time off for maternity leave).

This is all fair enough. Except they don't want equality in dating. Men are still expected to:

- ask the woman out and face possible rejection (women might give subtle hints, but under no circumstances will they ask the man out - that is "his job":wink:
- pay for the first date (and possible subsequent dates as well)
- propose to the woman
- treat her with meals/gifts
- hold open the door for her
- give up his coat if she's cold, so he can freeze (but never the other way around)
- put the majority of effort into sex (this is centered around pleasing the woman - the man's enjoyment is always assumed)
- be manly and dominant, never show any weak emotions, keep his problems bottled up because otherwise it's "unmanly"
- household chores must now be shared. Women no longer have to do all the cooking and cleaning, it's shared equally between men, because otherwise it's gender discrimination/oppression. Despite the fact men are still seen as the primary breadwinner in the household and a man without a job is a virtual disaster.

So back to the original question: Why do women want gender equality in the workplace (and indeed many other areas), but not in dating? I'm interested to hear to views of men, women and any feminists.

what the **** kind of women are you meeting, they're just trashy women, although I do slightly agree with the last point it is definitely changing
LOL yes, that's you. There with this thread a while back where guys were saying they weren't date "x" women or women that had so and so. It's fine for guys to pick and choose though, right?

Okay so you won't date a women that sleeps around because it shows she is "weak" and many guys think like that but women are not allowed to question it. But say you want a guy that asks you out first because it shows he is confident and really wants you it's now double standards.

I see it as a preference. I haven't said it's wrong for a guy and wait for a women to make he first move but it's just my preference for a guy to ask me out first. I am perfectly allowed to say that and it's not rejecting feminism.

No, you’ve missed the point. I would not date women like that AND I will not behave in such a way as to sleep with many women. That is the equal standard.

Double standard is when i say that it is wrong for women to sleep around with many men, whilst I am doing the same thing.

The issue that many people on this thread and I have with your argument is that you would not ask a guy out first, but then you expect guys to be the first to ask you out. That is hypocrisy and double standard.

Another example is saying that you would not date black men, but then expect other people to date black women like you. It is not preference it is double standard.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Tiger Rag
Friends and a potential partner are different though.

I don't expect a man to pay for me personally. But don't think it's the same thing.

Why is it different?
People are allowed to want what they want in relationships and people need to accept that is part of life. The quicker we accept it the better.

Yes, I agree, but they should be hypocrites.
No, you’ve missed the point. I would not women like that AND I will not behave in such a way as to sleep with many women. That is the equal standard.

Double standard is when i say that it is wrong for women to sleep around with many men, whilst I am doing the same thing.

The issue that many people on this thread and I have with your argument is that you would not ask a guy out first, but then you expect guys to be the first to ask you out. That is hypocrisy and double standard.

Another example is saying that you would not date black men, but then expect other people to date black women like you. It is not preference it is double standard.

There are many men that sleep around and yet will not date any women that goes past 5. You yourself may not sleep around but you still have a reason to not date a women which is because you think she is weak or whatever.
Yes I won't ask a guy out...ever, but I expect a guy to. It's my opinion and peference lol I really don't want to repeat myself over and over again.
Yes, I agree, but they should be hypocrites.

Whatever lol. Everyone is a hypocrite to some extent. There are people that won't date someone the same skin tone, hair length, hair colour, height as them, then they are also hypocrites by your definition
There are many men that sleep around and yet will not date any women that goes past 5. You yourself may not sleep around but you still have a reason to not date a women which is because you think she is weak or whatever.
Yes I won't ask a guy out...ever, but I expect a guy to. It's my opinion and peference lol I really don't want to repeat myself over and over again.

That is fair. I am glad you accept that you are a hypocrite.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending