The Student Room Group

Do you believe there are 2 genders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Axiomasher
'Cept there are several definitions. If you choose a definition which is the same as biological sex then why bother with the word 'gender' at all?

That's coming from Oxford dictionary, not urban dictionary.

It's because they essentially are the same thing.

People are trying to redefine it to pretend that their mental disorder isn't a mental disorder.

We are not doing people who stuggle with gender identity disorder any favours by encouraging them to seek reassignment etc, as the statistics show - people are just as sad after they transition as they were before it, and the suicide rate is the same.
Postmodernism cannot redefine biology
Original post by robbiecee2
...It's because they essentially are the same thing...

In which case there's no point in there being two different terms.

I prefer this:

The World Health Organization states, "':undefined:ex' refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women," and "'gender' refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women."
Reply 123
Original post by Bio 7
It isn't a mental disorder any more than being gay, straight, Bi or Asexual plus other sexualities is a mental disorder.

The American Psychiatric Association and the World Health Organisation disagree with you on that.

See DSM-V and ICD-10.
Reply 124
In which case there's no point in there being two different terms.

I prefer this:

The World Health Organization states, "':undefined:ex' refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women," and "'gender' refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women."

You answered the OPs question..
"FOR MEN AND WOMEN"... 2 genders/biological sexes.
You answered the OPs question..
"FOR MEN AND WOMEN"... 2 genders/biological sexes.

:confused::confused::confused:
Reply 126
:confused::confused::confused:

You argued that "Part of the problem is that the concept of biological sexual division into male and female gets confused with the concept of gender"

If both definitions of "biological sex" and "gender" point to there only being two 'genders' (for the purposes of the OPs question) then why is it a "problem" to confuse the two terms?
Reply 127
Original post by Bigdave-01
There's 2 genders . Gender isn't a social construct. Science 101 xy chromosome for a male and xx for a female . It's the social justice warrior movement who feel a slight bit of anxiety and say they don't feel their a male or female

That's your sex. Your XX or XY chromosomes is your sex, what you have between you legs.

What men and women usually wear, do, like etc is gender, which is a social construct.
Reply 128
Original post by G.Y
That's your sex. Your XX or XY chromosomes is your sex, what you have between you legs.

What men and women usually wear, do, like etc is gender, which is a social construct.

Read my comments above pls.
You argued that "Part of the problem is that the concept of biological sexual division into male and female gets confused with the concept of gender"

If both definitions of "biological sex" and "gender" point to there only being two 'genders' (for the purposes of the OPs question) then why is it a "problem" to confuse the two terms?

Because gender is not actually reducible to biological sex and is based on behaviour and identity. It follows that there's no reason why, for example, I cannot subvert gender conventions or mix them up.
Reply 130
Because gender is not actually reducible to biological sex and is based on behaviour and identity. It follows that there's no reason why, for example, I cannot subvert gender conventions or mix them up.

Ok, but you can't just add new ones to your liking.
Ok, but you can't just add new ones to your liking.

I agree but I'm open to persuasion if someone could define a gender that wasn't obviously orientated to the traditional binary conceptions and represented an actual life/identity.
Reply 132
I agree but I'm open to persuasion if someone could define a gender that wasn't obviously orientated to the traditional binary conceptions and represented an actual life/identity.

I'm not because they can't.
Yeah, there are only 2 and you can't choose your gender either. For me, gender equates to sex. They're the same thing.

You hear this same illogical, nonsensical argument from cultural marxists all the time. When you tell them that biology only allows for two genders they tell you that you are confusing gender with sex as if that addresses your argument, which it doesn't. Your argument is that biology defines our sex/gender and that there is no difference between these two terms. Their argument is that there is more than two genders. The problem that they have with this is that it is not backed by biology so they work around this by saying well sex is biological and gender is something else. What is gender? well its an english word that used to refer to sex before they hijacked it and applied their ideological interpretation to it. Gender is something that according to them is an identity that is defined by our feelings. This is is not a universally accepted scientific fact but an ideological belief. So it makes no sense for them to tell you that you are confusing sex with gender because you do not subscribe to their ideology which preaches that there is a difference between the two. This is something nobody believes in but them.

Now, is gender defined by our feelings? can there be more than two genders? The answer is most definitely not. If our feelings do not conform with our biological reality they are considered wrong. A person that feels they are a tree is not a tree because their biological reality does not conform with that feeling. Hence that feeling is wrong. Their feelings are the result of nurture/psychological abnormality as apposed to nature. Its something that needs to be discouraged as apposed to encouraged.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 136
Original post by CookieButter
You hear this same illogical, nonsensical argument from cultural marxists all the time. When you tell them that biology only allows for two genders they tell you that you are confusing gender with sex as if that addresses your argument, which it doesn't. Your argument is that biology defines our sex/gender and that there is no difference between these two terms. Their argument is that there is more than two genders. The problem that they have with this is that it is not backed by biology so they work around this by saying well sex is biological and gender is something else. What is gender? well its an english word that used to refer to sex before they hijacked and applied their ideological interpretation to it. Gender is something that according to them is an identity that is defined by our feelings. This is is not a universally accepted scientific fact but an ideological belief. So it makes no sense for them to tell you that you are confusing sex by gender because you do not subscribe to their ideology which preaches that there is a difference between the two. This is something nobody believes in but them.

Now, is gender defined by our feelings? can there be more than two genders? The answer is most definitely not. If our feelings do not conform with our biological reality they are considered wrong. A person that feels they are a tree is not a tree because their biological reality does not conform with that feeling. Hence that feeling is wrong. Their feelings are the result of nurture/psychological abnormality as apposed to nature. Its something that needs to be discouraged as apposed to encouraged.

YES!

Spot on.

Thanks for that!
Reply 137
Read my comments above pls.

Just because there are 2 of each of course it doesn't mean you should confuse them. What kind of suggestion is that.

Secondly, it is the general view that there are only 2 genders but since it's not a 'real' thing some people have made up and identify as their own genders i.e 'non binary' etc.

For example, I'm a female in sex and cannot change that but some aspects of the female gender I don't like and choose not to make part of my identity.
Reply 138
Original post by CookieButter
You hear this same illogical, nonsensical argument from cultural marxists all the time. When you tell them that biology only allows for two genders they tell you that you are confusing gender with sex as if that addresses your argument, which it doesn't. Your argument is that biology defines our sex/gender and that there is no difference between these two terms. Their argument is that there is more than two genders. The problem that they have with this is that it is not backed by biology so they work around this by saying well sex is biological and gender is something else. What is gender? well its an english word that used to refer to sex before they hijacked it and applied their ideological interpretation to it. Gender is something that according to them is an identity that is defined by our feelings. This is is not a universally accepted scientific fact but an ideological belief. So it makes no sense for them to tell you that you are confusing sex with gender because you do not subscribe to their ideology which preaches that there is a difference between the two. This is something nobody believes in but them.

How is gender in any way backed up by biology.

Refer me to a biologist who says that being a male in sex must mean that he has to be tough, logical, successful (gender).

You can be a female in sex and exhibit the characteristics of the male gender and be a male in sex and have the characteristics of the female gender.

Anthropology does not back up your argument either, gender has not always existed in the form it does today and even today varies between societies so how can it possibly be biological as you claim if it is not constant?
Tribes in Native America had 4 genders:
Masculine male
Feminine male
Masculine female
Feminine Female
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by G.Y
How is gender in any way backed up by biology.

Refer me to a biologist who says that being a male in sex must mean that he has to be tough, logical, successful (gender).

You can be a female in sex and exhibit the characteristics of the male gender and be a male in sex and have the characteristics of the female gender.

Choosing to carry out behaviour that society associates with a certain sex does not confer a new identity on you. You, a female, deciding to behave in a way that is generally associated with men, does not change your identity in any way. You remain female. Cultural marxists believe that that is not the case.

Marxists, feminists and communists preach that there are more than two gender identities....that your feelings and behaviour confer new identities on you. They don't. A person who feels the world is flat does not change the oval reality of our world in any way. You see reality is independent of our feelings. If our feelings do not conform with it we are deemed misguided/insane.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending