The Student Room Group

Do you believe there are 2 genders

Poll

Do you believe there are only 2 genders

I started this discussion in public and got mixed response, so what does TSR think?

Scroll to see replies

Obviously there are only 2 genders... but some people claim they don't feel they belong to a gender, I think it's called non binary gender. I remember because in the TV show Billions one of the actors identifies herself both in the show and in real life as having a non binary gender.
Original post by AishaGirl
Obviously there are only 2 genders... but some people claim they don't feel they belong to a gender, I think it's called non binary gender. I remember because in the TV show Billions one of the actors identifies herself both in the show and in real life as having a non binary gender.

Yes, mentally ill people.
Reply 3
Original post by AishaGirl

There is this movement asserting that gender is a social construct and exists as a spectrum.

On the question of non-binary individuals, the argument is that you can believe that you aren't either gender, however I can reject that claim, arguing that gender is binary
Reply 4
Any particular variety?
Reply 5
Well I just ate your kind for breakfast this morning
There's 2 genders . Gender isn't a social construct. Science 101 xy chromosome for a male and xx for a female . It's the social justice warrior movement who feel a slight bit of anxiety and say they don't feel their a male or female
There are zero.
I fail to see how identifying as neither/either/both or other harms anyone else.
I agree it doesn't harm anyone . Do what ever makes you feel happy
Reply 10
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I fail to see how identifying as neither/either/both or other harms anyone else.

I think its not to do with whether they should or shouldn't be able to do it, I think there is consensus that in a free society, people should have the liberty to do what they want. Its more to do with others forcing them to accept their beliefs, for example, in Canada if you refuse to use someone's gender pronouns you would be in violation of their human rights code.
Scientifically, as described above, then yeah. But there are many people out there who are scientifically/technically/biologically (however you want to word it) male or female, but would identify themselves in a different way ! Just because a male is (technically) a male, does not mean they will live their life as this ! U dig
You be anything you want to be. You dream of being an apache helicopter? Go for it. You want to identify as a cheeseburger? Do it.
I hate potatoes.
Reply 14
be as mentally ill as you want but dont force others to treat you differently because you think your a pansexual non binary whatever
Original post by evian1232
I think its not to do with whether they should or shouldn't be able to do it, I think there is consensus that in a free society, people should have the liberty to do what they want. Its more to do with others forcing them to accept their beliefs, for example, in Canada if you refuse to use someone's gender pronouns you would be in violation of their human rights code.

While I think refusing to use someone preferred gender pronouns is a bit rude and disrespectful (assuming they've let you know what their preference is, of course), I do believe people should have the freedom to do so.
Potato tears mean nothing to me.
Original post by Bigdave-01
There's 2 genders . Gender isn't a social construct. Science 101 xy chromosome for a male and xx for a female . It's the social justice warrior movement who feel a slight bit of anxiety and say they don't feel their a male or female

What are people who are XXY, with Klinefelter syndrome? That argument isn't so strong as it has exceptions.
I identify as a carton of almond milk and your hairline is a social construct. Anyone who disagrees is part of the patriarchy. Stop trying to assert your hierarchy over us, it's 2017 fgs.
Reply 19
Original post by Cave Felem
What are people who are XXY, with Klinefelter syndrome? That argument isn't so strong as it has exceptions.

no these could be considered mutations that do not constitute a new gender in itself, you get lots of weird mutations but they are exactly that and we dont overhaul the entire system to facilitate them

Some could say they are intersex but do not represent a new gender in and of itself
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply