Turn on thread page Beta

Do you believe there are 2 genders watch

• View Poll Results: Do you believe there are only 2 genders
    Yes
    84.26%
    No
    15.74%

ReputationRep:
    I started this discussion in public and got mixed response, so what does TSR think?

ReputationRep:
    Obviously there are only 2 genders... but some people claim they don't feel they belong to a gender, I think it's called non binary gender. I remember because in the TV show Billions one of the actors identifies herself both in the show and in real life as having a non binary gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    Obviously there are only 2 genders... but some people claim they don't feel they belong to a gender, I think it's called non binary gender. I remember because in the TV show Billions one of the actors identifies herself both in the show and in real life as having a non binary gender.
    Yes, mentally ill people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaGirl)
    There is this movement asserting that gender is a social construct and exists as a spectrum.

On the question of non-binary individuals, the argument is that you can believe that you aren't either gender, however I can reject that claim, arguing that gender is binary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    Personally, I identify as a potato
    Any particular variety?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by evian1232)
    Any particular variety?
    Sweet potato

ReputationRep:
    Sweet potato
    Well I just ate your kind for breakfast this morning

ReputationRep:
    There's 2 genders . Gender isn't a social construct. Science 101 xy chromosome for a male and xx for a female . It's the social justice warrior movement who feel a slight bit of anxiety and say they don't feel their a male or female
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well I just ate your kind for breakfast this morning
    That means a lot to me
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There are zero.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I fail to see how identifying as neither/either/both or other harms anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    I agree it doesn't harm anyone . Do what ever makes you feel happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I fail to see how identifying as neither/either/both or other harms anyone else.
    I think its not to do with whether they should or shouldn't be able to do it, I think there is consensus that in a free society, people should have the liberty to do what they want. Its more to do with others forcing them to accept their beliefs, for example, in Canada if you refuse to use someone's gender pronouns you would be in violation of their human rights code.

ReputationRep:
    Scientifically, as described above, then yeah. But there are many people out there who are scientifically/technically/biologically (however you want to word it) male or female, but would identify themselves in a different way ! Just because a male is (technically) a male, does not mean they will live their life as this ! U dig
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    You be anything you want to be. You dream of being an apache helicopter? Go for it. You want to identify as a cheeseburger? Do it.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I identify as a potato
    I hate potatoes.

ReputationRep:
    be as mentally ill as you want but dont force others to treat you differently because you think your a pansexual non binary whatever
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by XOR_)
    I hate potatoes.
    Can't believe you hate me for who I am :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coup<detat)
    i think facebook has the right idea by introducing 71 genders :yes:

Keep reporting
    71? I thought it was 6 gorillion!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I think its not to do with whether they should or shouldn't be able to do it, I think there is consensus that in a free society, people should have the liberty to do what they want. Its more to do with others forcing them to accept their beliefs, for example, in Canada if you refuse to use someone's gender pronouns you would be in violation of their human rights code.
    While I think refusing to use someone preferred gender pronouns is a bit rude and disrespectful (assuming they've let you know what their preference is, of course), I do believe people should have the freedom to do so.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.