The Student Room Group

Do you believe there are 2 genders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by CookieButter
Nobody gives a damn about the definition that you and your marxist psychologists confer on the word "gender". Your definition is disconnected from our reality.

"Gender: A sex, male or female." Webster's 1828.

You are not in a position to lecture anyone on right and wrong my friend.

So much for getting schooled.

You are wasting your time with these people. Tell them the sky is blue. They will tell you its black. Tell them its black. They will tell you its blue.

Lol I see you didn’t respond to my point. And he’s using THE definition of gender. Not everything you don’t agree with is made up.
Original post by evian1232
I started this discussion in public and got mixed response, so what does TSR think?

I do believe there are 2 genders, yes. I personally have no idea how the concept of 'non-binary' can even be perceived by people - what would it feel like?
Original post by yudothis
That's not exactly the point is it? It's about accessing sex segregated spaces. Being on women's shortlists, winning women's awards, competing in women's sports.

Well, I think they need to be looked at on an issue by issue basis. I suspect, for example, most biological females don't have an issue with a trans-female using the 'ladies' toilets. As a biological male I don't have any problem with trans-males using the 'mens' bogs. That issue is even rendered obsolete where some institutions have unisex facilities.
Original post by Axiomasher
Well, I think they need to be looked at on an issue by issue basis. I suspect, for example, most biological females don't have an issue with a trans-female using the 'ladies' toilets. As a biological male I don't have any problem with trans-males using the 'mens' bogs. That issue is even rendered obsolete where some institutions have unisex facilities.

Well, some schools have introduced gender neutral toilets but the trans people refused that, they want to impose on girls.

And I don't think they do. Maybe the transsexuals of old who pass, but certainly not men who put on a dress and say they're women.
Reply 184
But that's pure nonsense. You can be whatever you want to be. But pretending gender is anything but stereotypes and focusing your identity around it is crazy. Identity politics is pure horseshit. It's nothing but individualism with people making up new pronouns because obviously they are so special any other already made up pronoun doesn't fit them.

I agree. Gender is just a made up thing. And I’m not one of those people who makes up pronouns or identifies as one of the other 61 (I think) recently made up genders. But if you agree that gender is a made up concept why do you have a problem with other people making up their own?
Tbh I think gender will soon be eradicated anyway, there will be no genders at all and therefore no stereotypes attached to either sex.

Original post by k.n.h.
I do believe there are 2 genders, yes. I personally have no idea how the concept of 'non-binary' can even be perceived by people - what would it feel like?

Imagine that 'gender' is represented by interest in a set of toys. In western society there are recognised 'boys' toys (let's call these 'blue' toys) and recognised 'girls' toys (let's call these 'pink' toys). We encourage and and/or anticipate biological boys will play with the blue and that biological girls will play with the pink. So far so good, biological sex has a corresponding gender, it's all nice and neat. However, what if a biological boy really does want to play with pink, or wants to play with a mixture of blue and pink? What if a biological girl want s to play with toys that aren't obviously 'blue' or 'pink' but are 'yellow'? While biological sex is a binary category (setting aside people who are intersex of course) gender is a more fluid concept and open to the possibility of breaking free of the binary.
Reply 186
Well, my position on this is mixed. In some contexts biological sexual identity really does matter (most obviously in medical care) but in other contexts maybe not so much or not at all. If I meet a new colleague at work that happens to have been born, biologically, a man but is living now as a woman in gender terms (whether pre or post-op) then why should I have a problem with treating them at work just as if they are a woman?

Because they’re not.
Reply 187
Imagine that 'gender' is represented by interest in a set of toys. In western society there are recognised 'boys' toys (let's call these 'blue' toys) and recognised 'girls' toys (let's call these 'pink' toys). We encourage and and/or anticipate biological boys will play with the blue and that biological girls will play with the pink. So far so good, biological sex has a corresponding gender, it's all nice and neat. However, what if a biological boy really does want to play with pink, or wants to play with a mixture of blue and pink? What if a biological girl want s to play with toys that aren't obviously 'blue' or 'pink' but are 'yellow'? While biological sex is a binary category (setting aside people who are intersex of course) gender is a more fluid concept and open to the possibility of breaking free of the binary.

Not so much if you read Simon Baren-Cohen’s studies and many others.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by G.Y

I agree. Gender is just a made up thing. And I’m not one of those people who makes up pronouns or identifies as one of the other 61 (I think) recently made up genders. But if you agree that gender is a made up concept why do you have a problem with other people making up their own?
Tbh I think gender will soon be eradicated anyway, there will be no genders at all and therefore no stereotypes attached to either sex.

I don't have a problem with people making them up. I have a problem in why they do it and what they do with it. It's pure narcissism. It's like a **** you to society, because this binary prison isn't good enough for you, so you gotta make sure everyone better call you something special. You gotta make sure everyone knows this about you as one of the first things, you center your identity around it. Sorry, but what a ****ing joke.

Also, the end result of it is 7 billion genders...
Original post by robbiecee2
Because they’re not.

I don't regard that as a sufficient reason.

That example of blue for boys and pink for girls are just stereotypes that can be independent of the boy and girl statuses? Can't someone still be female if they don't follow trends such as playing with 'boy' toys, preferring 'boy' colours? And I've seen gender that means different things to several people, so for more understanding, what does it mean to you?
Reply 191
Original post by CookieButter
Nobody gives a damn about the definition that you and your marxist psychologists confer on the word "gender". Your definition is disconnected from our reality.

"Gender: A sex, male or female." Webster's 1828.

You are not in a position to lecture anyone on right and wrong my friend.

So much for getting schooled.

You are wasting your time with these people. Tell them the sky is blue. They will tell you its black. Tell them its black. They will tell you its blue.

You're still on here comparing physical objective realities to a set of ideas you can't see or touch.

Gender is an IDEA, not a reality, for the last time.
Btw, this nonsense is "gender identity":

https://twitter.com/TPrimeDirective/status/976218854643740672

Coz all girls wear a bow in their hair...
Reply 193
I don't regard that as a sufficient reason.

Honestly, I don’t believe it’s in the persons best interest for us as a society (or individuals) to play into their dysphasia/delusion.
Original post by k.n.h.
That example of blue for boys and pink for girls are just stereotypes that can be independent of the boy and girl statuses? Can't someone still be female if they don't follow trends such as playing with 'boy' toys, preferring 'boy' colours? And I've seen gender that means different things to several people, so for more understanding, what does it mean to you?

Yes, they are stereotypes and yet they really are an aspect of gendered culture, visit any major toy store or baby clothing store and see for yourself. Traditional gendering by its nature tends to expect stereotyped behaviours. A girl who chooses 'boys' toys is still biologically a girl but she is by some measure transgressing gender conventions. Gender to me is the behaviour and identity people manifest in response to sexual identity, in most cases people conform to their societal expectations (which usually means a specific gender for a specific biological sex) but sometimes they don't.
Reply 195
I don't have a problem with people making them up. I have a problem in why they do it and what they do with it. It's pure narcissism. It's like a **** you to society, because this binary prison isn't good enough for you, so you gotta make sure everyone better call you something special. You gotta make sure everyone knows this about you as one of the first things, you center your identity around it. Sorry, but what a ****ing joke.

Also, the end result of it is 7 billion genders...

I can see what you mean, I agree on some level but I don't think I'm as annoyed about it as you are.
Original post by G.Y
I can see what you mean, I agree on some level but I don't think I'm as annoyed about it as you are.

But why? Check out Jordan Peterson, he got in trouble for rejecting compelled speech. He didn't even say that if asked by a student he would refuse, he just argued that compelled speech is abhorrent.

You should be "annoyed" too at post modernism and identity politics.
Reply 197
Original post by robbiecee2
Honestly, I don’t believe it’s in the persons best interest for us as a society (or individuals) to play into their dysphasia/delusion.

Why do you think it's a delusion to be feminine when you're a man or masculine when you're a woman? How is this in anyway a delusion?

If a man is more feminine it's probably just the result of a combination of biological and social factors such as being exposed to less testosterone in the womb and having parents that allowed him to do ballet or something when he little.

Why does this offend you so much?
Reply 198
Original post by G.Y
Why do you think it's a delusion to be feminine when you're a man or masculine when you're a woman? How is this in anyway a delusion?

If a man is more feminine it's probably just the result of a combination of biological and social factors such as being exposed to less testosterone in the womb and having parents that allowed him to do ballet or something when he little.

Why does this offend you so much?

I don’t. I believe it’s delusional to say you’re a man (or women) when you’re born a woman (or man).

It doesn’t offend me, I’ve already said I just don’t think it’s in the patients best interest as the statistics show.
Reply 199
But why? Check out Jordan Peterson, he got in trouble for rejecting compelled speech. He didn't even say that if asked by a student he would refuse, he just argued that compelled speech is abhorrent.

You should be "annoyed" too at post modernism and identity politics.

I guess because I've never experienced it. I've never known anyone who identified as anything other than male or female or anyone that asked me to use certain pronouns.

lol from the few videos I've watched, I hate that guy.

And I don't reject identity politics entirely. There are parts of your identity you can't change: sex, race, class etc and I think those are relevant.

And it's weird that you reject both postmodernism and identity politics. Postmodernism includes the idea that things like sex, race and class are becoming redundant as people form their identities from the consumer products they consume instead, so presumably if you're against one, you're for the other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending